Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 iOS disconnection issue

nonilex
Guide

Orbi RBR50 iOS disconnection issue

ORBI RBR50-V2.2.1.210 constantly disconnects iOS devices. This is similar to an old “solved” post that is closed. But the issue is current and the solution ineffective as the firmware update that solved it is now way out of date.
I’ve had endless conversations with NETGEAR support techs on the phone. Nothing has been solved ever. Basically my iPhone XR and my previous iPhone 6s Plus and my family’s various iPhones are constantly being dropped. I thought it was the Orbi cycling on and off. Angad my NETGEAR support tech tried making it a designated AP, which failed, then he just had me do a hard reset and said to wait and see. That was a month ago. The issue hasn’t resolved. I gave up on phone tech support since they couldn’t seem to even comprehend the issue.
Then I found this post:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-dropping-internet-connection/m-p/1320604#M9803
The solution:
https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18#

But after trying the solution I got the message “this firmware version in not correct”. I knew it was older firmware than I have but the issue is beyond annoying and I thought I’d try anyway.
RBR50-V1.12.0.18 is the solution, my firmware is 2.2.1.210 but nevertheless the iOS dropping issue is a constant problem.
Is there an awareness at NETGEAR that the iOS disconnection issues are occurring again with the current firmware? Is it the same bug? Is there a similar fix that can be uploaded?
Please help!
Thanks!
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
nonilex
Guide

Problem solved!

Changes I made

On orbilogin.com on the Advanced tab under advanced setup wireless settings
Set 2.4Ghz channel to 1
Disabled daisy chaining since I only have 1 satellite.
Enabled beam forming to boost device WiFi reliability.
Changed CTS/RTS to long preamble mode

2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only

2.4Ghz wireless power under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireeless and set it at 25%.
* Undid this last one as it made it tricky when multiple devices were using WiFi.
* Kept all other settings changes as described above.

Resolved problem.
Thank you FURRYe38 got all the help!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
I
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only. 

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. 

Apple wireless issues:
Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-RBS40-V2-1-4-16-mesh-network-drops-connection-to/m-...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Have-to-keep-rebooting-my-RBR50/m-p/1658603/highlight/false#M4...
Change the CTR/RTS threshold values for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Message 2 of 15
nonilex
Guide

Thanks for reply FURRYe38.
It’s connected to a Comcast Cable Modem Cisco DPC3000.
My home is about 4000 sq ft.
The distance between the router and satellite is about 20 ft
 I’m using auto channel. How do choose an unused channel? Also I’ve noticed the iPhones are always a 2.4Ghz connection. Can they be switched to 5Ghz?
I have 1 Wifi Neighbor.
I have a WPA2-PSK [AES] security setting.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, modem should be good. 

Distance between base router and satellite(s) is too close. 30 feet in between them to start. The router alone can cover up to 30 feet radius. 

Can you turn down the 2.4Ghz wireless power under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireeless and set it at 25%. Leave the 5Ghz power alone. Save and apply. Go a good distance from the base router or satellite. Turn off the wifi on the iphone for a few seconds then back on. Check to see if the phone connected to the 5Ghz radio. 

Message 4 of 15
nonilex
Guide

I’ll try that.
So far I set the 2.4Ghz channel to 1, the 5Ghz to 48.
Changed CTS/RTS to long preamble mode. I’m going to hold off on too many more changes until I see how these changes effect the issue. Thanks for all the help!
Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it helps, let us know how it goes. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 15
nonilex
Guide

Problem solved!

Changes I made

On orbilogin.com on the Advanced tab under advanced setup wireless settings
Set 2.4Ghz channel to 1
Changed CTS/RTS to long preamble mode

2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2341 and 2345 respectively), changed preamble modes to long preamble, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only

2.4Ghz wireless power under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireeless and set it at 25%.
* Undid this last one as it made it tricky when multiple devices were using WiFi.
* Kept all other settings changes as described above.

Resolved problem.
Thank you FURRYe38 got all the help!
Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working better now. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 15
P95357
Guide

Thanks for this. It solved my connection issues as well. After reading all old 2017 and 2018 posts referring to a solution that didn’t solve my problem, I came to your post and it did the job.

In my setup I have the main hub wired to 2 satellites and an 8-port switch, distributing wireless and wired Internet around the house.

After some set up issues I was able to connect all devices to the Orbi WiFi network and have reliable and fast internet in all devices except iPhones.

More interestingly, while connected, on some iPhones I wouldn’t have internet at all and on others the YouTube app would work but it wouldn’t fetch new emails, for example. Or you could search Google, see the results of the search but clicking in any of the results would return an error message of “connection issues”. It drove me crazy for about two weeks until I found this.

Before the Orbi, I had purchased a Linksys Velop system but it didn’t work at all. Over the course of 10 days, I had decent internet during a few hours only and spent countless hours with their support on the phone setting it up and rebooting over 50 times. As a measure of despair, I then purchased the Orbi and was having issues as well. This Velop system has been now returned in favor of the Orbi.

After following your recommendations, Orbi has been working flawlessly for the past 3 days. After all the ups and downs with both Velop and Orbi, I’m cautious to declare it a win but it does certainly look like a win.

Thank you again.
Message 9 of 15
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Am curious if root cause of this issue was ever determined.  I and I'm sure many others do not need to resort to these changes.  Among a plethora of devices, there are 4 active iPhones here that always connect on 5GHz, iPad, and a MBP among other things.  The newer devices usually report the full link speed of 866Mbps.

PS. There is a new firmware update available now, version, v2.3 to try out as well.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible issue in FW or iOS. iOS has some known wifi issues in it's various versions. 

Would be good to see if the newer FW resolves with with using default settings. 

@gr8sho wrote:

Am curious if root cause of this issue was ever determined.  I and I'm sure many others do not need to resort to these changes.  Among a plethora of devices, there are 4 active iPhones here that always connect on 5GHz, iPad, and a MBP among other things.  The newer devices usually report the full link speed of 866Mbps.

PS. There is a new firmware update available now, version, v2.3 to try out as well.

Message 11 of 15
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Once bitten, twice shy.  But yeah, it would be good to know.  My whole reason for coming into the Orbi world is precisely to get reliable wifi for my iOS and Amazon devices.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Also know that it's up to the Mfr of some of these IoT devices to ensure they setup and work on MESH systems with one SSID name and can't separate them. Seen various posts about 2.4Ghz IoT devices not being able to get setup. This has to do with shotty developed SW that doesn't allow for the setup devices that connect to 5Ghz and there IoT devices that only support 2.4ghz mean while both 2.4 and 5Ghz are on the same LAN side network. This is a IoT mfr problem. Not a Orbi problem. 

@gr8sho wrote:

Once bitten, twice shy.  But yeah, it would be good to know.  My whole reason for coming into the Orbi world is precisely to get reliable wifi for my iOS and Amazon devices.

Message 13 of 15
nonilex
Guide

Seriously. Can’t believe they expect consumers to have to resort to such extensive technical tinkering. Just glad it’s functional after consulting furrye38. *shoutout*.
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree, Orbi seems to be very intesive upon setup and troubleshooting and figuring out what works best on these systems. However, since Orbi other other Mfrs of there MESH systems are first generation, I presume are going thru a growth and learning curve with these kinds of systems and the Mfrs are trying ot learn whats works and what doesn't. Ya, we seem to be the guinea pigs for these systems. We have been for a while now. Smiley Frustrated

Hope your system is working better. Please mark your post as solved if it is. Smiley Wink

@nonilex wrote:
Seriously. Can’t believe they expect consumers to have to resort to such extensive technical tinkering. Just glad it’s functional after consulting furrye38. *shoutout*.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7