Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 installation problem

Guex
Follower

Orbi RBR50 installation problem

Hi,

I purchased this Orbi, recommended by a friend, to help with current slow internet.

I currently have a modem that I lease from Centurylink - which is my provider.

I was told I could replace this router with the Orby router, but when I tried to install it, it tells me to connect it to my current modem., which I did. However, now nothing works.

My question: can the Orbi router replace the current modem and be a stand-alone or do I need a modem in addition?

I am a layman and need help desperately. Anybody please?

Thank you inadvance.

Helena

Message 1 of 8
Obi-La
Guide

Unfortunatly yes you will still need a modem. Not the Ethernet port input on the Orbi, that will connect to the same type connector on a modem or modem/router. You didn't say is your CenturyLink internet is DSL or Fiber. DSL modems can be purchased cheap, you can probably find one like you have on eBay. If not, check Amazon or just do a web search using the model number on the tag. In many cases other models will work, often info on a given modem will state which internet providers it will work with.
Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

A stand alone modem would be preferred if your going to use the Orbi system. No need for another router with the modem since the Orbi would be doing same thing. 

@Guex wrote:

Hi,

I purchased this Orbi, recommended by a friend, to help with current slow internet.

I was told I could replace this router with the Orby router, but when I tried to install it, it tells me to connect it to my current modem., which I did. However, now nothing works.

My question: can the Orbi router replace the current modem and be a stand-alone or do I need a modem in addition?

Thank you inadvance.

Helena

Message 3 of 8
vajim
Master

A stand alone modem would be preferred if your going to use the Orbi system.

Some run another separate modem possibly as a access point which may lead to problems.  In this case simple is best.  

Message 4 of 8
TAZSwade
Aspirant

Question on top of what has already been answered...again...laymen.

So I have fiber coming to my house, but CAT5 from wall to current Netgear router (no modem)...everything operating at full speed with all my tests and service provider tests.  I was told to just unplug from current router and go into Orbi.

I thought the Orbit was a router and modem all in one?

thanks for any input. 

@Guex wrote:

Hi,

Thank you inadvance.

Helena

Do I still need a modem with this fiber-to-CAT5 to Orbi?

Message 5 of 8
vajim
Master

@TAZSwade wrote:

So I have fiber coming to my house, but CAT5 from wall to current Netgear router (no modem)...everything operating at full speed with all my tests and service provider tests.  I was told to just unplug from current router and go into Orbi.

thanks for any input. 

@Guex wrote:

Hi,

Thank you inadvance.

Helena

Do I still need a modem with this fiber-to-CAT5 to Orbi?

https://kb.netgear.com/31032/Does-Orbi-replace-my-modem-or-gateway

Message 6 of 8
Obi-La
Guide

A modem is a Modulation-Demodulator meaning it converts the fiber light signals to an IP signal the input to your router operates with and connects to. Fiber/glass to copper wire. A router is like a splitter, or think of it like an office phone system, where you have one incoming phone line/number but several extensions that can connect to that one incoming line, except with a router and data the sharing happens very fast, effectively simultaneously to all the extensions. Can you post the make & model of the CenturyLink box you have, I can look it up and see what it is, a modem-router, or just modem, and if it also does WiFi.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

For Fiber ONT ISP services, cable modems are NOT used. The ONT service box should have a ethernet port which you can connect the ONT directly to your Orbi RBR unit. Just need a CAT6 LAN  able between the ONT and RBR is all.

Contact your ISP for help and information regarding using there ONT with a external router. 

@TAZSwade wrote:

thanks for any input. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7