Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 installs the wrong firmware

Rogerbluechip
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 installs the wrong firmware

My Orbi recently installed firware version V2.7.0.70 automatically.  According to Netgear Download Center, the current version should be V2.5.1.16.  My Orbi app with the V2.7 version says that both the router and satellite have vulnerabilities, saying that both devices need to be updated.  I followed the instructions to download the V2.5 files, which loaded ok.  However, the mobile app would not take my Orbi password.  The only option I could think of was to set up as new product.  When I did that, it again downloaded the V2.7 file again.  Going nuts with this.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Orbi RBR50 installs the wrong firmware

@Rogerbluechip wrote:

I was finally able to manually install the current FW according to Netgear (v2.5.1.16) in place of the one Orbi installs (V2.7.0.70)  However, the Orbi app still says there is a FW update, and I still have 2 vulnerabilitities in the Orbi app. with this note:  "device update highly recommended".  The app doesn't say what these devises are or how to update them.  I believe these two devices are the router and the satellite. Otherwise, everything seems to be working properly. Is there any way to get this info to someone at Netgear/Orbi, without paying them?

Yes the devices are the router and satellites. Just ignore the warnings and stay on V2.5.1.16 for now. It's safer to wait for Netgear to post the firmware on their website. I just searched for V2.7.0.70 and cannot even find that firmware for the RBR50 and RBS50.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

What firmware was on it before the update?

My Orbi RBR50 and the RBS50 sats are stuck on 2.5.1.16

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend NOT using Orbi app to do any FW updates on Orbi. Been too many users complain about having systems break after the FW update. I recommend that you manuall download FW updates from NG download page and install them with a wired PC and web browser.

https://www.netgear.com/support/download/

@Rogerbluechip wrote:

My Orbi recently installed firware version V2.7.0.70 automatically.  According to Netgear Download Center, the current version should be V2.5.1.16.  My Orbi app with the V2.7 version says that both the router and satellite have vulnerabilities, saying that both devices need to be updated.  I followed the instructions to download the V2.5 files, which loaded ok.  However, the mobile app would not take my Orbi password.  The only option I could think of was to set up as new product.  When I did that, it again downloaded the V2.7 file again.  Going nuts with this.

Message 3 of 11
Rogerbluechip
Aspirant

Thanks.  I did use a laptop hardwired to the router to download and install the V2.5 from the Netgear website.  Both router and satellite files downloaded ok. . . .but then the laptop was directing me to finish on the mobile app.  That's where the app wouldn't take my password and I ended up starting fresh.  Also, I tried to figure out where to turn off the automatic firmware update but I don't see any option when I log into orbilogin.com to do that.  Any idea how to make that happen?  Appreciate your response.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Disregard any FW notifications on the Orbi app after getting FW loaded from NGs web site. I presume you updated to v16? 

You can't disable auto updates on orbi. NG only pushes major versions of FW. NG only pushes some versons of FW. Minor versions or hot fixes are not auto pushed. I would avoid FW notifications for Orbi app. 

For any Orbi app issues are you seeing, please post about them in the orbi app forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Make contact with a forum moderator there. Let them know you are having problems with the app. 

@Rogerbluechip wrote:

Thanks.  I did use a laptop hardwired to the router to download and install the V2.5 from the Netgear website.  Both router and satellite files downloaded ok. . . .but then the laptop was directing me to finish on the mobile app.  That's where the app wouldn't take my password and I ended up starting fresh.  Also, I tried to figure out where to turn off the automatic firmware update but I don't see any option when I log into orbilogin.com to do that.  Any idea how to make that happen?  Appreciate your response.

Message 5 of 11
Rogerbluechip
Aspirant

Netgear says the correct FW is V2.5.2.16, so not sure what the V16 is you're referring to.  Ok on the recommendation to avoid FW notifications in the future.

Thanks for the info on the Orbi community website, I'll do that in the future.  I'll give this a fresh try again tomorrow.

Thanks again for your input.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Reference is the same version:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

@Rogerbluechip wrote:

Netgear says the correct FW is V2.5.2.16, so not sure what the V16 is you're referring to.  Ok on the recommendation to avoid FW notifications in the future.

Thanks for the info on the Orbi community website, I'll do that in the future.  I'll give this a fresh try again tomorrow.

Thanks again for your input.

Message 7 of 11
Rogerbluechip
Aspirant

I was finally able to manually install the current FW according to Netgear (v2.5.1.16) in place of the one Orbi installs (V2.7.0.70)  However, the Orbi app still says there is a FW update, and I still have 2 vulnerabilitities in the Orbi app. with this note:  "device update highly recommended".  The app doesn't say what these devises are or how to update them.  I believe these two devices are the router and the satellite. Otherwise, everything seems to be working properly. Is there any way to get this info to someone at Netgear/Orbi, without paying them?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 11
Mstrbig
Master

@Rogerbluechip wrote:

Yes the devices are the router and satellites. Just ignore the warnings and stay on V2.5.1.16 for now. It's safer to wait for Netgear to post the firmware on their website. I just searched for V2.7.0.70 and cannot even find that firmware for the RBR50 and RBS50.

Message 9 of 11
Rogerbluechip
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestion.  I'm tired of jacking with it anyway and your suggestion puts me more at ease.  Thanks again!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this in the Orbi app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

@Christian_R 

@Blanca_O 
Good Luck.

@Rogerbluechip wrote:

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7