Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 issues

Orbi RBR50 issues

Hi,

I had my orbi for 6-7 years without any issues. The family and I just got back from a three week vacation and now I'm noticing low speeds 10-28 Mbps. Normal speeds would be 300 Mbps to 600 Mbps. I have three satellites in a fairly large apartment. All three satellites (Hallway, Master bedroom and kids room) speeds now range from 10-28 Mbps. The office has the orbi router which is pumping out speeds at 300-600 Mbps if you connect wirelessly near the office. I see no error messages on the orbi issues on the app. I decide maybe the firmware needs to be updated since I see there's new firmware available. Firmware is updated and now I see random backhaul status "Poor" from the satellites. At times it goes from poor to good ( I never had this problem before) I also see  from time to time one or more of the satellites are disconnected. They reconnect but disconnect randomly. The router is still pumping 300-600 if I connect from the office. The other three satellites are 10-53 Mbps. I unplugged, reboot, routers, modem, satellites, computers, changed channels but nothing has changed. I'm not sure if the firmware upgrade made everything worst or was simply like this after I came back from vacation but didn't notice it. When i do a speed test from my cell phone in the bedroom  i can see fast.com is struggling to give me a number. Normally before the vacation it would take 3 seconds.

My setting are beamforming and MU-mimo is on. Daisy chain is off. I have about 42 devices connect to wifi ( could this be it?) . Also WMM is on.

i started asking for help on another external forum but figured i should also come here for advice.

I was asked the following questions in the other external forum which i'm posting below for context. 

Please see my response in bold to each question below.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

router Firmware Version

V2.7.4.24

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Model Ubee UBC1322

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

i'm using a Cat 8 Ethernet Cable, 2 Pack 6ft RJ45 Connector with Gold Plated F/FTP Patch Cord, Gigabit Internet Network Cord, High Speed LAN Cable 40Gbps 2000Mhz for the Router.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

The apartment is about 2,000 Sq Ft, we purchased two high rise apartments and combine them together.

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

The router is about 31’11 from the first satellite, The second satellite is 24’ from the first satellite, The router is also 26’5 away from the 3rd satellite ( I added this one two years ago because there was little to no signal in this area of the apartment)

https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡 What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

I stopped using auto years ago. Right now I am using 9 for 2.4 and 44 for 5Ghz. Sometimes i'm unsure which channel is the best.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

So everyone in the building ( 22 floors , Apartments A-Z) have 400 Mbps min internet service for free. If you want more then it cost extra. I have two apartments above and below me and two at each side of me. (building made out of brick and concrete)

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?

I just completed this tonight.  I  changed the 2.4Ghz to Auto and then the 5Ghz to 48. The satellite speeds reduced to 5mpbs so i changed the  channels back to 9 and 48. I also turned off everything in the sequence you requested.   Quick question should i also had turn off the satellites ? I just turn off modem, router, Mac computers . However i did not touch the Satellites. 

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence: Turn off and unplug modem. Turn off router and computers. Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect. Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect. Turn on computers and rest of network.

completed but did not notice any difference 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

I never pressed the reset button on the orbit since i purchased the unit. I will try over the weekend when everyone is out of the house. if i mess up something tonight my wife will kill me knowing she has to work in the morning.

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello socialworker00,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having stability issues with your RBR50 backhaul and implemented the recommended troubleshooting steps to find a solution. 

Please PM the following information so I can endorse you to our support team:

Name:
Email:
Phone Number:
Device Model:
Firmware:
Serial Number:
Preferred time to be contacted:
App version:

Please provide this information as soon as possible!
I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

I think your problem is simply bad wirelesss coverage between the satellites and the router. It can be that new radio interference was introduced in your surrounding while you were away!  recommend to do the following, if possible:

1. Get the satellites closer to the router or try to remove obstacles in between if possible.
  2. Activate Daisy Chain as this will allow the satellites to connect to each other rather than just looking for the router.
  3. If you can use cables between the satellite and the router then please do that.
  4. If you can use ethernet over powerline to connect the satellites to the router then please do that.
Message 2 of 8

Hi, 

So i moved the orbi's closer to each other  but that didn't work.  I then enable daisy chain and all hell broke loose this morning. Once i enable daisy chain the orbi was not able to connect to all three satellites. All three was showing up as disconnected. I worked on the router for about 30 minutes before I decided to give up and disable daisy chain.    Once I disable daisy chain then all the satellites started showing back up.  I wondering if I need to invest in another MESH system.   

Thank You. 

Message 3 of 8
ekhalil
Master

Wait, wait, wait, Just seen that the UBC1322 is a router with wifi capabilities, this is a problem if Orbi is set in router mode, is it?

This can cause in conflect in IP addressing and can cause the issues that you see with the satellites not connecting when in Daisy Chain.

I have an RBR50 with 8 satellites working perfectly well in Daisy Chain.

You have either to set the UBC1322 to bridge mode (https://www.melita.com/help/internet/connection-setup/setting-up-your-wireless-modem-to-router-bridg...) or set Orbi into AP mode.

Message 4 of 8
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello socialworker00,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having stability issues with your RBR50 backhaul and implemented the recommended troubleshooting steps to find a solution. 

Please PM the following information so I can endorse you to our support team:

Name:
Email:
Phone Number:
Device Model:
Firmware:
Serial Number:
Preferred time to be contacted:
App version:

Please provide this information as soon as possible!
I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 5 of 8

Hi, so thank you very much for pointing that out.  I spent about 2 hours after work this evening on hold with tech who was finally able to turn off the router section of the modem. Once the ubee was set to bridge mode i was then able to turn on daisy chain via the orbit without the satellite disconnecting  ( thank you)

So the original issue is still outstanding.   when I  now connect wirelessly to the orbi Router i get 460 Mbps.  However when connected via either 3 of the satellite i get 28-50 Mbps.  for several years up until Three weeks ago either of the satelliteswas pumping out at least 300 Mbps. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Message 6 of 8

Will send you a PM now. 

Message 7 of 8
ekhalil
Master

Check if now the satellites have daisy chain connection in the app (Network Map). Also check in the web GUI (orbilogin.com) under "Attached Devices" if the connectvity of the satellites is on the 5GHz band and it's "Good".

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7