Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 keeps disconnecting from internet and shows solid magenta.

Airport-77
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 keeps disconnecting from internet and shows solid magenta.

I have been using Orbi RBR50 with 2 satellites RBS50. It has been great for more than a year. Recently in last 6 months I see my RBR50 keeps disconnecting from the internet at regular intervals, about an hour. If I restart orbi it starts working. This happens for a day or so and then works fine for a few weeks. Then again it starts happening for a day or so every hour. I tried updating, it is all latest firmware. No idea what is happening.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Airport-77
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 keeps disconnecting from internet and shows solid magenta.

One update. I don't even need to restart the the router. All I did this time was unplug the internet cable and plug it back. Tried a new cable too.
Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the FW was updated? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 3 of 9
Airport-77
Aspirant

I did a factory reset last night around 10:30 PM. It worked find till this morning around 7:20 AM. I restarted modem , router and satellites. It is working fine since then.

As far as Modem I have the Arris SB8200.

My home is about 2100 sqft and I have the devices about 30 ft apart. Rest all the settings you recommended are already that.

I have one RBR50 and 2 RBS50

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully will keep working after restart of entire system. Let us know if something else happens. 

Airport 77 is a good movie. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 9
Airport-77
Aspirant

It is a good movie😁

Unfortunately it is still happening. In more research I think it is my Arris SB8200 that's at fault. I am changing that to a Netgear CM1000. Let's see how that works.
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible bad modem. Try a reset on the modem if that option is available. Let us know if new CM modem resolves this. Seems like a modem issue. 

Message 7 of 9
Airport-77
Aspirant

I think so too. All I need to do is remove the ethernet cable at the modem end that runs from modem to router and plug it back and it fixes it instantly.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Besure LAN cable is good. CAT6 is recommended. Ya seems odd. Possible loss of handshake at the modem for some reason. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7