Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 multiple problems after recent network outage

Epistrophy
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 multiple problems after recent network outage

A couple nights ago, my AT&T U-Verse connection went down for a while. In the midst of the outage, My Orbi router seemed to lose its configuration settings -- its network name reverted to the default. I used the app to scan the QR code and reconfigure the network. I was then prompted to update the firmware. It appears that the update also set up and enabled a trial of Armor security. 

I am now encountering the following issues:

1) When I try to bowse several web sites (I don't think this is happening with all sites), I'm presented with a browser challenge asking for a username and password, probably from the router. On my wife's Macbook Pro, the prompt says "Netgear Orbi." Apparently, the router is asking me to login. If I cancel the dialog, I get a "401 Unauthorized" error saying "Access to this resource is denied, your client has not supplied the correct authentication. We can help you to recover teh router's admin password. Please complete the information below [router sn] and click Continue."

2) When I connect to the router with the Orbi app, I can see the router and satellite in the network map, but receive a message  saying "You are not connected to the Internet. Check your Internet connection and try again." However, apps like Instagram are clearly still pulling data from the Internet.

3) I noticed that devices connected via the satellite seem to be using 2.4 GHz instead of 5, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change that.

I'm thoroughly annoyed that after 90 days, my only options are this forum, a pricey single-incident support option (a substantial portion of the original purchase price) or even more expensive subscriptions. I'm not a Windows user and will not be needing support for anything other than my router. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 multiple problems after recent network outage

(I have never activated Armor, but I have read...)

Armor can be deactivated from the Orbi App by clicking on the Security Icon and turning it off.

Here' s link:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/Deactivating-Amor-trial/m-p/1730802 

Message 2 of 4
Epistrophy
Aspirant

I didn't intentionally activate Armor. Apparently, it's switched on by default with the latest firmware update. I had attempted to switch it off via the Orbi app, but I kept getting messages indicating that my laptop wasn't connected to the Internet (when it actually was). Turns out that was a red herring...

What appears to have worked: I joined my Orbi WiFi network with my desktop machine, and visited OrbiLogon.com and entered my credentials. I was alerted that the IP address had been updated and I was able to confirm that Armor was disabled. After that I brought devices back onto the Orbi one by one. 

Everything seems to be working now, except that I'm surprised to see that devices are still connecting to the satellite at 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Your modem has a built in router and wifi.

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Armor is not enabled by default. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Try this and then walk thru the setup wizard. Armor or Circle will present you with a option to enable them or not. Select the (X) to close these windows and not enable them. 

@Epistrophy wrote:

A couple nights ago, my AT&T U-Verse connection went down for a while. In the midst of the outage, My Orbi router seemed to lose its configuration settings -- its network name reverted to the default. I used the app to scan the QR code and reconfigure the network. I was then prompted to update the firmware. It appears that the update also set up and enabled a trial of Armor security. 

I am now encountering the following issues:

1) When I try to bowse several web sites (I don't think this is happening with all sites), I'm presented with a browser challenge asking for a username and password, probably from the router. On my wife's Macbook Pro, the prompt says "Netgear Orbi." Apparently, the router is asking me to login. If I cancel the dialog, I get a "401 Unauthorized" error saying "Access to this resource is denied, your client has not supplied the correct authentication. We can help you to recover teh router's admin password. Please complete the information below [router sn] and click Continue."

2) When I connect to the router with the Orbi app, I can see the router and satellite in the network map, but receive a message  saying "You are not connected to the Internet. Check your Internet connection and try again." However, apps like Instagram are clearly still pulling data from the Internet.

3) I noticed that devices connected via the satellite seem to be using 2.4 GHz instead of 5, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change that.

I'm thoroughly annoyed that after 90 days, my only options are this forum, a pricey single-incident support option (a substantial portion of the original purchase price) or even more expensive subscriptions. I'm not a Windows user and will not be needing support for anything other than my router. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7