Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 needs resyncing each time my main router is turned on again

sicraze
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 needs resyncing each time my main router is turned on again

Hi there. I have an Orbi RBR50 router connected to my main Negear R7000 Nighthawk router via an ethernet cable. This Orbi router is synched to an Orbi satellite in a lodge in our garden. However, everytime the Netgear R7000 modem is powered off and on I need to re-synch the Orbi router and satellite. Is there any way to prevent this so they will automatically reconnect? The lodge is used as a holiday let and if the modem in my house flicks off and on while I'm away I'm unable to re-synch the Orbi and satellite. Many thanks. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
sicraze
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 needs resyncing each time my main router is turned on again

Thanks so much for your help. Much appreciated. Hopefully that's resolved the problem but I'll keep an eye on things over the coming days. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 8
sicraze
Aspirant

Many thanks for the reply. The current firmware is V2.3.5.30 and the Orbi is in AP Mode. I would say that the satellite is about 40ft away separated between the wall of my house and the wall of the lodge and lit up amber when connected before. Do I need to make any changes to my Netgear R7000 router? Thanks. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Only thing I would do is to set the R7000s DHCP IP address pool for 192.168.1.100 to .200. Then change the RBR AP mode configuration for a Static IP address. Set it to 192.168.1.50. This is out side of the new IP address pool on the R series router. This will ensure the RBR has a IP address all the time and you can access it at this address. If the R7000 router is rebooted, then the RBR should notice this, display PINK top ring LED, then when the router gets back to ready, the PINK top ring LED should turn OFF. 

Try this. I've done this same thing with my RBK50 and a NG XR450 router. RBR comes back to ready after a router reboot. 

I would swap out LAN cables between the RBR and router. Good Quality CAT6 is recommended. 

You might update FW on the RBS first, then RBR to v2.5.1.8 at some point, factory reset and setup from scratch using the above suggestion about IP addressing. 

Message 4 of 8
sicraze
Aspirant

That's brilliant thanks. So would I change the values of the starting IP Address to 192.168.1.100 and ending IP Address to 192.168.1.200 where is says 'use Router as DHCP server'? in the Netgear R7000 Lan Setup? Sorry for the question but I'm not that clued up when it comes to this! 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

That is correct. 

Message 6 of 8
sicraze
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your help. Much appreciated. Hopefully that's resolved the problem but I'll keep an eye on things over the coming days. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, should be good to go. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation