Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 range problem

Will726
Tutor

So I have tried every setting suggested here.  I also have purchased an additional satellite. My Orbi now matches my prior AmplifyHD mesh.  The Orbi satellites are not in the same exact spot due to the HUGE size of the Orbi satellites but they are each close.  3 Satellites. 

I have connectivity to devices with Orbi now.  However,  I have Wifi cameras.  Amcrest,  Foscam and Samsung Wifi cameras.  All of the RTSP connectivity of these cameras is horrible with Orbi.  I have tried multiple settings (UpNP is off across the board).  Different wifi channels.  I have scanned my neighbor hood and 11 is best.  I have even tried QoS and have labeled my cams 'IP Phone' as I see this is a highest priority.  I have tried it both ways.  I have powered off all Orbi devices -- waited till stablized -- then powered off/on each of my cameras.  Orbi is Horrible.  I have no idea what to try next.  

Beaming on/off,  MU-MIMO on/off,  20/40 coexistance on/off.  Each time I re-start and re-set Orbi network and then all WIfi cams individually.  I have been doing this for a week in hopes of Orbi working.  

What else can I try except eat my over 600.00 purchase with Orbi and revert back to Amplify?

Message 26 of 33
Will726
Tutor

I also came across this link which contradicts some of the settings suggested here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Best-Performance-for-Ring-Devices-Orbi-Config-Settings/m-p/176...

I also tried this.  Re-set,  re-booted,  re-booted cameras.  Nothing worked.  If you read down in the thread above they also explain how to Telnet into each Satellite and Router to "actually" set it back to defaults (scary that Netgear re-set doesn't do this).  I also tried this.  

Orbi cannot match my old AmplifyHD at all.  Sadly,  I have had AmplifyHD for a few years.  I was dissapointed with the speed and believed it was time for a new Wifi Router.  After reading some of the comparisons seemed Orbi was a good upgrade.  Boy was I wrong. 

Message 27 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask NG support for help and information regarding your system. You may have a faulty system and needs to be RMAd. Not everyones system is bad like yours. Worth asking for an RMA and if not, sell what you have and re-coup something. 

Good Luck. 

Message 28 of 33
Will726
Tutor

I returned it.  May be in a different environment Orbi is great but just not in my house. 

Message 29 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like it. 

Good luck. 

Message 30 of 33
theparticleman
Aspirant

I've had an Orbi RBR50 with one satellite for almost 3 years. It's been great until the last few months when it updated to v2.5.1.8 of the firmware. Now the satellite which has been fine in the same spot for almost 3 years can't connect to the router anymore. I have to move it closer to connect. Download and upload speeds on devices connected directly to the router (as indicated in the router's web UI) are fairly consistent, but devices connected through the satellite fluctuate wildly. They vary anywhere between the same speed as the devices connected directly to the router (60+mbps), all they way down to ~1mbps. Occasionally the wireless connection for devices connected to the satellite is fine, but no internet is available. Devices which have never dropped their wireless connection now lose connectivity a few times a day. I don't know if that's related to the satellite or not. I'd need to do more testing.

Like I said, I've had this router for almost 3 years and it's been great for most of that time (when there wasn't a different bad firmware update). There's something bad in the v2.5.1.8 firmware, at least with my setup. That might be part of why some have reported great results with this router, but the original poster's results were so different.

Message 31 of 33
CrimpOn
Guru

Fortunately, you can manually load the previous firmware, 2.3.5.3, from the Netgear support web site:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061080/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30 

Did this Orbi "update by itself", or did you notice a message from Netgear indicating that you should update the firmware?

Message 32 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@theparticleman wrote:

I've had an Orbi RBR50 with one satellite for almost 3 years. It's been great until the last few months when it updated to v2.5.1.8 of the firmware. Now the satellite which has been fine in the same spot for almost 3 years can't connect to the router anymore. I have to move it closer to connect. Download and upload speeds on devices connected directly to the router (as indicated in the router's web UI) are fairly consistent, but devices connected through the satellite fluctuate wildly. They vary anywhere between the same speed as the devices connected directly to the router (60+mbps), all they way down to ~1mbps. Occasionally the wireless connection for devices connected to the satellite is fine, but no internet is available. Devices which have never dropped their wireless connection now lose connectivity a few times a day. I don't know if that's related to the satellite or not. I'd need to do more testing.

Like I said, I've had this router for almost 3 years and it's been great for most of that time (when there wasn't a different bad firmware update). There's something bad in the v2.5.1.8 firmware, at least with my setup. That might be part of why some have reported great results with this router, but the original poster's results were so different.

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7