Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 refuses to update to Firmware V2.5.1.16

Su1tan
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 refuses to update to Firmware V2.5.1.16

My RBR50 Orbi router is still in V2.1.4.16, and when I check for update it states "No new firmware version available." 

So I went and downloaded it from NETGEAR to manually update the firmware by uploading the file "RBR50-V2.5.1.16.img"; However when I attempt to do so I recieve the error "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

Specifically, I'm downloading ther Firmware update from this page: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Su1tan
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 refuses to update to Firmware V2.5.1.16

And yes I did try to update to V2.2.1.212 per the V2.5.1.16 patchnotes. still says the firmware is incorrect.

(And before anyone asks, yes I am painfully sure that 1. my Router is the Orbi RBR50 AC-3000, and 2. I am downloading the firmware from the RBR50 AC-3000 page)

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

Do you have version 1 or version 2 of the rbr50?

When you're downloading the file, are you extracting it? some just download and open the file. If you're on windows you have to extract it by right clicking and "extract all"

Have you tried installing 2.2.1.210? 

I'd also recommend updating the satellites first. 

Message 3 of 9
Su1tan
Aspirant

I'm assuming it's V1 because A) it is still in 2.1.4.16 Firmware, which means according to the patchnotes, I would not be able to ever update my Version 2 since Version 2 apparently only goes down to 2.3. And to get 2.3. you need to have 2.2.1.212. Basically it would be literally impossible for my router to be Version 2 unless someone in Netgear did a big dumb.

And I can assure you, I still tried to upload V2, and V1, firmwares... all of them. I'm still getting the same "incorrect" Firmware issue.

Message 4 of 9
Su1tan
Aspirant

And I dont know what this "Satelite" thing is people keep mentioning. I'm using the Router with my ISP's Modem.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Su1tan wrote:

And I dont know what this "Satelite" thing is people keep mentioning. I'm using the Router with my ISP's Modem.

Is it a router supplied by your isp? Netgear did sell directly to some isp's with their own firmware on them that's locked to the ISP's upgrade path.

What modem is it? 

Message 6 of 9
Su1tan
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

Is it a router supplied by your isp? Netgear did sell directly to some isp's with their own firmware on them that's locked to the ISP's upgrade path.

What modem is it? 

Yes my Router was supplied by my ISP, and I am waiting for them to call me back about it if it was locked from their end. 

My Modem is a Huawei Smart AX MA5675 GPON Terminal 

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

@Su1tan wrote:
@plemans wrote:

What modem is it? 

Yes my Router was supplied by my ISP, and I am waiting for them to call me back about it if it was locked from their end. 

many of the ISP supplied routers have to be updated by them as they lock the firmware to work with their service. So they setup where the update comes from. Standard firmware won't work with these devices. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

IF this is a ISP provided Orbi system, you'll not be able to use NG stock FW. You'll need to contact the ISP about any FW updates for there Orbi system. 

@Su1tan wrote:
@plemans wrote:

What modem is it? 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7