Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 router only

rinku2012
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 router only

Hello,

Currently i have R8500 Nighthawk router. I stay in 3 floor town home. i want to add Orbi RBR50 Router ONLY ( without sattelites) as Access point to my main router and keep it on 3rd floor. will my setup work. is the router only worth in this setup ?

i have wired connections to all my bedrooms. i want to place Orbi router in one of the bed room and connect it via ethernet.

will i get full 1733 Mbps speed from router if any clients are connected to it ?

i am getting router for cheap price.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 10
tsig
Luminary

should work just fine.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the sq ft of this town home? I have a 5000sq ft home and have on router and 1 satellite, 40 feet distance in between and works well. Great coverage, range and performance. 

You need at least 30 feet distance min in between the router and 1 satelllite to begin with.  

@rinku2012 wrote:

Hello,

Currently i have R8500 Nighthawk router. I stay in 3 floor town home. i want to add Orbi RBR50 Router ONLY ( without sattelites) as Access point to my main router and keep it on 3rd floor. will my setup work. is the router only worth in this setup ?

i have wired connections to all my bedrooms. i want to place Orbi router in one of the bed room and connect it via ethernet.

will i get full 1733 Mbps speed from router if any clients are connected to it ?

Message 3 of 10
rinku2012
Tutor

Townhome is 2000 SQFT. its 3 floored town home. as i mentioned in my first post i bougth only the router ( not the satellities).

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you place the router on the middle floor centrally, you should be ok. If not, you may need to add one satellite if you notice some dead spots...

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 10
rinku2012
Tutor

yes i already have my R8500 router on 2nd floor. Orbi Router will be placed on 3rd floor as Access point

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, why get a Orbi router and use it as an AP? Why not get a EX#### range extender for the 8500? Would be a bit cheaper...

This would be a good match for the 8500:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX8000.aspx

Message 7 of 10
rinku2012
Tutor

i got used Rb Router for very cheap price.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

AH, well the, why not. LOL..

As long as you keep the channels between the 8600 and Orbi separate and far from each other, you'll be fine. You can use same SSID and PWs if you want too. 

Message 9 of 10
st_shaw
Master

@rinku2012 wrote:

... i want to place Orbi router in one of the bed room and connect it via ethernet.

You will never get 1733 Mbps throughput from the router.

The Orbi operates at wireless sync speeds of 400 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 866 Mbps on 5 GHz.  This means the maximum wireless throughput you will ever see on client devices is ~240 Mbps on 2.4G and ~520 Mbps on 5G. Expect less than that under normal conditions.

As for wired performance... With v2.1.3.4 firmware Orbi's wired throughput in AP mode is limited to about 700 Mbps for data going through the router. Two wired clients connected to Orbi's switch can achieve 940 Mbps.

Note that the 1733 Mbps radio is dedicated for backhaul use only. This isn't available for client device connections and would be unused when using the router with no satellites.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7