Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 router only?

pdxorbi
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 router only?

Hello, i have been looking at the Orbi system for a while and was thinking the router itself would be enough for me, 2,700sqft daylight ranch and placing the router in the middle of the basement. I saw a great price and jumped on it then read somewhere that if you only use the router and no sattelite it's probably better to getting something else. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 12
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi RBR50 router only?

If you got a great price on it, then you are fine--especially if you might decide to add a satellite in the future to strengthen your WiFi coverage.

Message 2 of 12
pdxorbi
Aspirant

Ok, thank you!
Message 3 of 12

@pdxorbi wrote:

Hello, i have been looking at the Orbi system for a while and was thinking the router itself would be enough for me, 2,700sqft daylight ranch and placing the router in the middle of the basement. I saw a great price and jumped on it then read somewhere that if you only use the router and no sattelite it's probably better to getting something else. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

hi

yes the orbi router on its own is nothing special coverage wise and tbh pretty short on feature set when compared to the more standard big honling router like the r8500 etc

you really gain nothing until you add a sat and then the coverage is far better than a standard big honking router

at 2700sqft you could prob do with the rbr50 ( or rbr40 ) router plus the smaller rbs30 sat to cover that size with full speed everywhere

Message 4 of 12
pdxorbi
Aspirant

That's good to hear, if the router isn't doing it I'll get one of those instead. Thank you!

Message 5 of 12
Techlore
Apprentice

Sounds like the Orbi will work for you by itself, if not the beauty is you can always order a satellite and add it to the system.

You can also look at the R9000 Nighthawk, which will most likely give you the coverage you need plus some.

Message 6 of 12
pdxorbi
Aspirant

Thank you for the recommendation!

Message 7 of 12

@Techlore wrote:

You can also look at the R9000 Nighthawk, which will most likely give you the coverage you need plus some.

0k let be real

the r9000 has no more coverage than the r7500 , it also has no more power , the r9000 tbh is a penis extenton and no more than that , you cant use the 60 gig or its 10 gig ethernet port , and if you remove those 2 its no more that a r7500 with 1733M  wifi , the r8500 is 2156M wifi and has 6 ethernet ports and lag ( link aggregation ) 

just putting things into prospective

regards

pete

Message 8 of 12
pdxorbi
Aspirant

Thank you Pete, I was noticing that as well. I've decided to stick with the Orbi, I'm either going to buy a separate satellite or cancel my order and buy the RBK50. 

Message 9 of 12

have a real good think about what you want b4 you purchase as its a case of different stokes for different folks and tbh i dont think you need much above a simple 1900ac router like the r7000 or equilevent from other manufactures coverage wise

Message 10 of 12
pdxorbi
Aspirant

Hmm well my goals are speed, coverage and stability. I don't game but I do stream movies occasionally and have multiple devices that I want connected. I'm slowly automating my house so keeping things connected is important. My brother has the Orbi router and 2 sat's, loves it and says that he hasn't had to reboot his modem since he installed them. This is an issue for me now, every other day or so I reboot modem and range extender due to slowing performance or no service. I get barely any wifi at the other end of my house now even with extender 20 feet away.

Message 11 of 12

since your brother has it why not have him bring the porbi over and test , it will answer your question and perhaps save you money , the key here is the size of the area you want to cover as 2700sq ft is pretty small and orbi maybe overkill in that situation and where a wireless AC router may just work as good and be far cheaper

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7