Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 satellite pulsing white

smilelaugh
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 satellite pulsing white

Bought a set with 2 satellites from Costco in Dec 2017. Suddenly one of the satellites started pulsing white continuously. I’ve tried turning it on/off, pressing sync, and pressing the reset button. After I did the reset with the flash of amber, my app couldn’t detect the satellite. Nothing seems to work, what can I do now?

Running on V2.3.1.44
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Something to try:  'Delete' the satellite from the router configuration.  Then, do the 'factory reset' by holdiing a paperclip in the tiny reset hole until the LED on the back first turns solid amber and then blinks rapidly.  After it powers up, you should be able to sync it to the router as if it was a new satellite.  Sometimes, it is easier to do this by bringing the satellite into the same room as the router so you can see what their LED rings are doing.  Once it syncs correctly, then it can be unplugged and moved back to the original location.

Message 2 of 9
smilelaugh
Tutor

I tried a couple of different things after deleting the satellite on orbilogin.com:
- Hard reset (I assume seeing the flash of green and amber then to flashing white means successful)
- 30-30-30 reset (read this on another thread: 30 seconds on, 30 seconds power source off, 30 seconds after power source on)

From what I’m reading about the lights, the satellite is continuously trying to reboot, what do you think? If so, is this unit now a dud?

Light sequence:
- Flashing white
- Pulsing white
- Flash of green then flash of red
- Repeat
Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

There is a difference between the tiny LED on the back and the "ring" at the top.  For example, the ring on the satellite is not supposed to turn green or red, and the LED on the back does not have white.  (I am not saying the satellite is not a dud, but am confused about which lights are doing what.)

Message 4 of 9
smilelaugh
Tutor

The lights I described are all coming from the ring on the top. I’m assuming seeing colors other than white, blue, and magenta is a bad sign.
Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, I passed the "color blindness test", but sometimes I think something is one color and others (wife, mostly) tell me emphatically that I am SO WRONG. 

These are the only colors that should appear on the top ring:

Satellite ring LEDs

Solid white. Your Orbi satellite is powering up.
Pulsing magenta. When your Orbi satellite's ring LED pulses magenta for the first time, it means that your satellite is attempting to connect to your Orbi router. If the ring LED pulses magenta for more than one minute, it could be for the following reasons: the satellite lost the connection to the router or the satellite is unable to get an IP address from the router.
Solid magenta. Your Orbi satellite ring is solid magenta for 10 seconds if it is unable to obtain the IP address from the router.
Solid blue. If your Orbi satellite ring is solid blue for 10 seconds, the connection between your Orbi router and satellite is good.
Solid amber. If your Orbi satellite ring is solid amber for 10 seconds, the connection between the router and satellite is fair.

This happens when the satellite is in the same room with the router?

Message 6 of 9
smilelaugh
Tutor

Haha I swear I’m not crazy. I went into the room with the router to do this again and recorded the ring lights. Flashes white for 40 seconds, pulses white for 1.3 minutes, then blinks green for 1s, red for 1s and then orange for less than a second.

Screenshots of my video:
- Green: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6v4y9t2eetmec0/orbi-green.PNG?dl=0
- Red: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j61o4d2goh4jjmu/orbi-red.PNG?dl=0
- Orange: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2y24xd62fe5zef/orbi-orange.PNG?dl=0
Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I got nothing. Sorry.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn OFF of the satellites. LAN cable connect 1 PC or laptop to the RBS. Turn On the RBS. Might have to wait about 4-5 minutes, however the PC should get a 192.168.1.something address. This will allow you to connect to 192.168.1.250, the RBS web page with a broswer. 

Can you get to this point? If so, you might do a FW re-load to the RBS. I would use IE11 or Firefox browser. 

I presume you can't get to this point, I would file a support ticket and see if an RMA is possible:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@smilelaugh wrote:
Bought a set with 2 satellites from Costco in Dec 2017. Suddenly one of the satellites started pulsing white continuously. I’ve tried turning it on/off, pressing sync, and pressing the reset button. After I did the reset with the flash of amber, my app couldn’t detect the satellite. Nothing seems to work, what can I do now?

Running on V2.3.1.44

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7