Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 shows offline, but has Internet access

MDwinn
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 shows offline, but has Internet access

I have both an RBR50 and an Orbi Satellite connected to a Time Warner Arris router.  Starting a couple days ago my RBR50 started intermittently dropping Internet connectivity.  When I go into the Orbi app it shows the RBR50 as offline, but when I do an Internet Speed Test it returns the appropriate speeds.  I am also able to connect my devices to the SSID that was set up on the Orbi and can also get Internet access.

I know it's working, but my question is if this is normal (i doubt it), and if anyone else has had success fixing this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Do you have the modem bridged to modem only or is the Orbi set to AP mode?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 13
Efty
Initiate

I have the same issue. In the Android Orbi App, the first screen consistently shows Internet: Offline and 1 Satellite.

Speedtest works. I'm defintely connected to the Internet.

I only disabled WiFi on the Arris 599 modem/router (AT&T). I did not change any other settings.

Likewise, on the Orbi RBR 20, I only changed the SSID to the current SSID and security key as I did not want to reconfigure any of my 15 connected devices. Most of them connected to the new Orbi mesh network with no problem. I had to reset a couple of devices.

I did not change any other Orbi settings. How do I check whether the Orbi is in AP mode or not?

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You can do more with your ISP modem:

Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router modem.
Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP modem on the Orbi router.

@Efty wrote:

I have the same issue. In the Android Orbi App, the first screen consistently shows Internet: Offline and 1 Satellite.

Speedtest works. I'm defintely connected to the Internet.

I only disabled WiFi on the Arris 599 modem/router (AT&T). I did not change any other settings.

Likewise, on the Orbi RBR 20, I only changed the SSID to the current SSID and security key as I did not want to reconfigure any of my 15 connected devices. Most of them connected to the new Orbi mesh network with no problem. I had to reset a couple of devices.

I did not change any other Orbi settings. How do I check whether the Orbi is in AP mode or not?

Message 4 of 13
Efty
Initiate

@FURRYe38

Thanks for your response.

I logged into the RBR20 and set it to AP Mode. That's the only change I made. The Arris Modem/Router assigns the IP addresses.

The Orbi app now shows the Internet: Online.

Cheers.

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats one good configuration then. 

Enjoy. 

Message 6 of 13
MDwinn
Tutor

I am using my Orbi as an AP only. 

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

And is your system working?

@MDwinn wrote:

I am using my Orbi as an AP only. 

Message 8 of 13
MDwinn
Tutor

It works but constantly shows that it's offline through the app.

I am going to go through the router and set it up in pass though like you mentioned previously.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 13
Thesmuckers0523
Initiate

I was having this issue when first setting up my RBK33, internet was working fine but the router was showing as offline. As part of my troubleshooting steps I tried to browse to the modem's ip address in Chrome. It instead took me to the modem and told me there was an IP address conflict between the modem and router. The Orbi automatically changed its ip address to a different range and it now shows as connected! So it was cool that it fixed the problem automatically, but it took me a while of failing with the Orbi app before I went to the remote management in the browser. Wanted to share in case this helps someone in the future
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@Thesmuckers0523 wrote:
I was having this issue when first setting up my RBK33, internet was working fine but the router was showing as offline. As part of my troubleshooting steps I tried to browse to the modem's ip address in Chrome. It instead took me to the modem and told me there was an IP address conflict between the modem and router. The Orbi automatically changed its ip address to a different range and it now shows as connected! So it was cool that it fixed the problem automatically, but it took me a while of failing with the Orbi app before I went to the remote management in the browser. Wanted to share in case this helps someone in the future

Message 12 of 13
James78
Initiate

Thank you! I had exactly the same problem and logging on to the Orbi home page fixed it!
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 24 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7