Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 slowing speeds down

rlyoung1952
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 slowing speeds down

I am using a Orbi RBR50 Router with Comcast internet and every day or so it speed will drop to 40 to 50 MB download.  I will reboot the router and my speed will increase back to the 175 MB range which I have.  I have also restarted the Modem but that has no affect.  It is only when I reboot the router does my internet speed goes to normal.

I am using V2.2.1.210 firmware. 

Is anyone else haing this problem?  Is there a fix?

Message 1 of 19
ekhalil
Master

You probably have loops in the router that are loadng it, so a reboot refreshes the system until loops come back again.

What wired devices do you have connected to Orbi? Any wired mesh speakers?

Are you using wired or wireless backhaul?

Is Orbi set to Router or AP mode?

When you have an issue, do you see massive number of DHCP messages in Orbi Logs?

Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What are your wired PC test speeds? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@rlyoung1952 wrote:

I am using a Orbi RBR50 Router with Comcast internet and every day or so it speed will drop to 40 to 50 MB download.  I will reboot the router and my speed will increase back to the 175 MB range which I have.  I have also restarted the Modem but that has no affect.  It is only when I reboot the router does my internet speed goes to normal.

I am using V2.2.1.210 firmware. 

Is anyone else haing this problem?  Is there a fix?

Message 3 of 19
rlyoung1952
Aspirant

I only have one device connect to the wired port of the router.  It is a apple mini computer.  Everything else is wireless.  The backhaul is also wireless.  I have attached the log file.  It does not appear to be loaded but I am no expert on this.

Message 4 of 19
rlyoung1952
Aspirant

Arris SB6190.

Basicly the same.

House about 2200 Square Feet.

70 feet separation between satellite and router

What channels are you using?

Auto

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by?  

Yes

If so, how many? 18 or more

What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK

When the problem arises all devices slow down going to the internet.  If I am streaming a movie from my computer over WIFI there does not seem to be a problem.  Only to the internet.

Thanks

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Arris SB6190.

Be aware of this about your modem:

http://www.badmodems.com

Basicly the same.

Try placeing the satellite a bit closer, 70feet maybe too far. Mines at 40 feet. 

Auto

Yes

What channels are they using? You maybe getting some interferences and wifi congestion from neighbors wifi systems. 

When the problem arises all devices slow down going to the internet.  If I am streaming a movie from my computer over WIFI there does not seem to be a problem.  Only to the internet.

Message 6 of 19
RPO
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue here. Comcast. Im topping at 90Mbps WIRED to the router. If I wire to the modem, I get 300Mbps. I have already tried a modem reset to no avail. What a huge dissapointment.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What devices do you have connected to the Orbi system? Wireless and wired? 

Try disabling IPv6. 

Testing with a different PC show same problem? 

Swap LAN cable beween ISP modem and router?

@RPO wrote:

Same issue here. Comcast. Im topping at 90Mbps WIRED to the router. If I wire to the modem, I get 300Mbps. I have already tried a modem reset to no avail. What a huge dissapointment.

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Any update or progress on this? 

@rlyoung1952 wrote:

Arris SB6190.

Basicly the same.

Auto

Yes

Thanks

Message 9 of 19
lxjr
Tutor

I am having the same issue and according to support they cannot find a reason or a fix for this issue. I have to reboot everyday to get my speed back.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 10 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@lxjr wrote:

I am having the same issue and according to support they cannot find a reason or a fix for this issue. I have to reboot everyday to get my speed back.

What wired devices do you have connected to Orbi? Any wired mesh speakers? Do you use any IPTV box using muticastiing?

Do you use wired or wireless backhaul?

Message 11 of 19
lxjr
Tutor

I have a Mac mini and a time capsule that are directly connected everything else is WiFi. The test I run to determine speed is from the Mac mini that is directly connected. I can in plug the orbi and plug directly to the isp and get consistent speeds but the orbi seems to be throttling the speed over time.
Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6

@lxjr wrote:
I have a Mac mini and a time capsule that are directly connected everything else is WiFi. The test I run to determine speed is from the Mac mini that is directly connected. I can in plug the orbi and plug directly to the isp and get consistent speeds but the orbi seems to be throttling the speed over time.

Message 13 of 19
RPO
Initiate
Initiate

Hi. Good grief.... 1001 questions game. Seriously, if you are in the room where the orbi is conected to the modem, and you are testing with a cable that the speed is full when wired to the modem and not when wired to the router,  most questions are silly.

LXJR, my problem dissapeared after a "hard" reset (use a toothpick on the reset button). I then set up the router using the iOS app, but it still experienced the same problems. After that, I used my computer and the web interface to check every setting on the router. 

I restarted the router again using the web interface and it went back to full speed. There is a speed test app on the router web interface. Try it after you play around with the settings... see what it says. 

It has been OK since then. Even through power failures.

I would try to set it up with the web interface if you ahven't tried yet. As crazy as it sounds, there may be something that is being set up wrong by the mobile app.

Best of luck!

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

There valid questions so we can get a better idea of what users have since there are many different configurations. not everyone has the same setup. Also helps us troubleshoot. There are many factors that can contribute to problems. 

Besides, I don't see 1001 questions. Just a few. 

Message 15 of 19
lxjr
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions but I have done all of that and I only configure with the web interface so I am at a loss to figure it out.
Message 16 of 19
lxjr
Tutor

I have FIOS and connect directly using ethernet, no modem

Orbi is in Router mode

Firmware is the most current version 2.2.1.210

3000 Sq Ft should not matter because the test I run are hard wired to the Orbi, no wifi

Again distance of satellites should not matter but less than 30 feet

Auto for 2.4 and 48 for 5ghz

I have a lot of wifi neighbors but again the test was hard wired

wpa2 AES is the security used

Just a small note that I split the 2.4 and 5ghz networks using telnet so I have 2 ssids

I have done a manual firmware upgrade and factory reset twice on the recommendation of support

Message 17 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

@lxjr wrote:

Orbi is in Router mode

3000 Sq Ft should not matter because the test I run are hard wired to the Orbi, no wifi

Having the distance even overlapping too close wifi between the base router and satellites maybe causing the system to slow down, even though your testing wired, the system maybe slowing down as it's trying to handle overlapping wifi. This can effect the system as a whole. Can you turn OFF the satellite for a while to see if the base router can maintain to spec speeds? try setting the satellite out at 30 feet and test. 

Auto for 2.4 and 48 for 5ghz Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Having many other wifi neighbors will cause interferences, however again, the system is probably trying to handle this and maybe slowing the system down after a period of time. This is wifi congestion. This can effect the system as a whole. I would turn down the wifi radio power output on the router from 100% to 50% and see if the system slows down again. Then try 75%. 

Just a small note that I split the 2.4 and 5ghz networks using telnet so I have 2 ssids

This isn't supported on Orbi so no help here. Orbi works with as intended with a single combined SSID for each radio. 

I have done a manual firmware upgrade and factory reset twice on the recommendation of support

If after this nothing seems to be resolved, I would make contact with NG support and check to see if you can get an RMA. 

@lxjr wrote:

Orbi is in Router mode

Auto for 2.4 and 48 for 5ghz

Message 18 of 19
Chuck_M
Mentor

@lxjr wrote:

Orbi is in Router mode

I am pretty sure he is in a double nat condition with FIOS.... there is most likely a router above where he is connecting.

Can you please ping 1.1.1.1 and see if the first two hops are private IP addresses?

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7