Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 unable to hold gigabit speeds

1rayc
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 unable to hold gigabit speeds

My Orbi had been working fine until the last week or two when connectivity issues began showing up. I am subscribed to a 1000Mbps fibre-optic internet plan and, via a modem, the Orbi router had regularly achieved 850Mbps+ through its speed tests in the Orbi app; however, the speed started getting capped recently to less than 100Mbps (the speed test would show a solid connection but with speeds that would refuse to go above 100Mbps). I would regain gigabit speeds for a time by restarting the router, only to discover later than the speeds had dropped back down to sub-100Mbps once again. My Orbi router and its satellites are running firmware version V2.5.0.38. The router is connected to the modem via a series of CAT5e cables (one that runs from the router to the wall socket [6ft long], one that links the two wall sockets together [less than 50ft long], and one that runs from another wall socket to the modem [3ft long].

Has anyone ran into similar issues? Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

P.S. I just ran a test and the speed had gone all the way down to 20Mbps (this was temporarily fixed after I reset the system but I'm sure the problem would return).

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 unable to hold gigabit speeds

Try moving the orbi router to right next to the ONT. Maybe you had a cable or connection go bad. Then test with a couple different cables. 

Also, try testing with a hardwired connection using speedtest.net. The built in test in the app could be connecting to a bad/slow server. 

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

I would update to v2.5.1.8, factory reset and then setup from scratch. v38 had some known issues. 

I would also connect the modem to the RBR using a more direct and closer lenth cable to test. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 3 of 8
1rayc
Aspirant

The router has decided to behave itself for the last several days. Should the issues return, I will try and follow the instructions shared so far and report back. Thanks for all the help!

Message 4 of 8
1rayc
Aspirant

I used the "Check For Update" tool and it came back saying that my firmware was up to date? Why is that? Is 2.5.1.8 considered stable and relatively bug-free? The router seemed to have managed to hold speeds for the last several days, I'm worried I might break things if I were to upgrade now...

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Firmware 2.5.0.38 had some rather embarassing problems (LOTS of forum posts about it), and Netgear issued 2.5.1.8 to solve them. However, the experience with "enticing" users to update firmware and have it blow up in their faces appears to have made Netgear reluctant to advertise.  2.5.1.8 appears to be really stable and has definitely cured some of the problems with 2.5.0.38.

"If it works, don't fix it." is our mantra.  However, lots of people seem to be happy with 2.5.1.8 and there appears to be little risk in updating to it.  Certainly if you care about the Attached Devices display, the new version will be much more enjoyable.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can certainly update to v2.5.1.8. Loaded on mine and works well with my 1Gb services. Or keeps whats loaded. Up to you. 

@1rayc wrote:

I used the "Check For Update" tool and it came back saying that my firmware was up to date? Why is that? Is 2.5.1.8 considered stable and relatively bug-free? The router seemed to have managed to hold speeds for the last several days, I'm worried I might break things if I were to upgrade now...

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CrimpOn wrote:

"If it works, don't fix it." is our mantra. 

I wonder where this came from...???

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7