Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 was working & changed modem, now not working

bzliteyear7
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 was working & changed modem, now not working

Hi all, I had cable modem w/ RBR50 w/ 2 satellites and 200mbps, and recently I changed modem to 700mbps.

Good news is it works via ethernet cable, but when I tried to get the Orbi reconnected - error message says "unable to join network."

I've now done this 5 times, and watched the YouTube many times aslo.

I can't seem to reach Netgear technical support - does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you all in advance. 

P.S. I called the 933 ph# on google, and it sounded like a scam that I needed to pay $90 as my registration had expired. 
Netgear corporate should know someone is trying to scam their customers. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Helps save time if a reset is needed. 

Please mark your thread and solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

@bzliteyear7 wrote:

Although the orbilogin said all my satellites firmware were already updated, the Orbi tech guy guided me toward connecting my 2 older statellites manually update the firmware. I downloaded the firmware on PC, and then connected my satellites to router via ethernet, and then using advanced setting on orbilogin to update. After I did this, I went thru the set up with syncing again. Thanks everyone for their support. I learned a lot about my set up during this craziness the past 36 hours. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@bzliteyear7 wrote:

Hi all, I had cable modem w/ RBR50 w/ 2 satellites and 200mbps, and recently I changed modem to 700mbps.

Good news is it works via ethernet cable, but when I tried to get the Orbi reconnected - error message says "unable to join network."

I've now done this 5 times, and watched the YouTube many times aslo.

I can't seem to reach Netgear technical support - does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you all in advance. 

P.S. I called the 933 ph# on google, and it sounded like a scam that I needed to pay $90 as my registration had expired. 
Netgear corporate should know someone is trying to scam their customers. 

1. support is overwhelmed right now. 

2. If you found a number on google, you're correct in that it probably was a scam.

3. If you're past your 90 days window of free support, it does cost $. the community forum is free though

4. What cable modem do you have? 

5. What firmware is on your obri?

6. are you running any form of qos? Its not recommended for speeds >250mbps and i've heard of settings being retained even through reboots. Have you tried a factory reset and manual re-install? 

Message 2 of 11
bzliteyear7
Tutor

Hi Sensei,

Appreciate the response.
I don't mind using the 90 days free support but can't seem to reach anyone.

Heck, at this point, I'm happy to pay. 

4. What cable modem do you have? SB8200. Xfinity helped fix the Mac ID, but I read somewhere I may need to change "transparent bridge?" I'm puzzled that my orbi won't work now even w/ the prior Arris CM82 when I put it back. 

5. What firmware is on your obri? Not sure - how can I update

6. are you running any form of qos? not using anything else.

Its not recommended for speeds >250mbps and i've heard of settings being retained even through reboots. Have you tried a factory reset and manual re-install? 

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

@bzliteyear7 wrote:

Hi Sensei,

Appreciate the response.
I don't mind using the 90 days free support but can't seem to reach anyone.---Again, they're getting inundated with calls. Between people working from home and needing help and netgear staff sickness/work from home, its a hot mess. the forums have been trying to help out more. 

Heck, at this point, I'm happy to pay. 

4. What cable modem do you have? SB8200. Xfinity helped fix the Mac ID, but I read somewhere I may need to change "transparent bridge?" I'm puzzled that my orbi won't work now even w/ the prior Arris CM82 when I put it back. ----if you put it back, it'd need to be re-provisioned. If you reboot your sb8200 and direct connect a pc/laptop to it, does it work?

I know the SB8200 has dual ports for wan aggregation (orbi doesn't have wan aggregation) or for ISP's that allow multiple public ip addresses (xfinity doesn't). so make sure only 1 device is connected to it. 

5. What firmware is on your obri? Not sure - how can I update----when you log into the orbi and after you go through setup, it should have the firmware on the status page. 

6. are you running any form of qos? not using anything else.

Its not recommended for speeds >250mbps and i've heard of settings being retained even through reboots. Have you tried a factory reset and manual re-install? 

I'd factory reset the orbi and start over for the main unit. push and hold reset while powered on for 7-15 seconds. The lights will blink when its been held long enough. then let if fully power up. Then follow this procedure.

1. power off both modem and router. and disconnect everything from both.

2. connect coax to modem. power it on. give it a couple minutes to fully boot.

3. connect 1 lan cable from modem to wan port on orbi

4. power up orbi. give it a couple minutes

5. try to go through setup on orbi.

did it work? if not, describe where its failing or whats going wrong. I'm not there to see it so the more details, the better. 

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Waiting on the firmware response 

Message 6 of 11
bzliteyear7
Tutor

Hi everyone, thanks for your input. It turns out after spending almost 24 hours on this, I still don’t know exactly what that mean reasons for it not working. Bottom line, I swapped out my new cable modem for an even more expensive one, and then updated all of the firmware for my satellite, in order for them to work with my new router. I then spent about two hours with Netgear customer service in India going through every step carefully. The good news is, between the new cable modem and the firmware update, the system is working the way it should and I am very pleased. Thanks everyone for their input.
Message 7 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@bzliteyear7 wrote:
Hi everyone, thanks for your input. It turns out after spending almost 24 hours on this, I still don’t know exactly what that mean reasons for it not working. Bottom line, I swapped out my new cable modem for an even more expensive one, and then updated all of the firmware for my satellite, in order for them to work with my new router. I then spent about two hours with Netgear customer service in India going through every step carefully. The good news is, between the new cable modem and the firmware update, the system is working the way it should and I am very pleased. Thanks everyone for their input.

And what firmware would that be?

Message 8 of 11
bzliteyear7
Tutor

Although the orbilogin said all my satellites firmware were already updated, the Orbi tech guy guided me toward connecting my 2 older statellites manually update the firmware. I downloaded the firmware on PC, and then connected my satellites to router via ethernet, and then using advanced setting on orbilogin to update. After I did this, I went thru the set up with syncing again. Thanks everyone for their support. I learned a lot about my set up during this craziness the past 36 hours. 

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Helps save time if a reset is needed. 

Please mark your thread and solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

@bzliteyear7 wrote:

Message 10 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@bzliteyear7 wrote:

And what firmware would that be?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7