Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 wifi connection not working and sending 404 - not found message

audrajhust
Follower

Orbi RBR50 wifi connection not working and sending 404 - not found message

We have an Orbi RBR50 that I purchased and installed to create a stronger wifi network for streaming and multiple device usage. The only device it will let connect to it properly is my MAC and even then if I try to click on a link it sends an error message 404 - Not Found. If I try to login to the orbi wifi network throught say Netflix or Hulu or actually any of our devices it will not work properly. It says we are not connected to the internet or it won't allow the apps to actually run. Help please!

Message 1 of 26
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Please tell us more about your setup, i.e., what firmware is your ORBI running, what channels are you on for WiFi, what internet provider equipment do you have and how is it connected to your ORBI, etc.? The information in your original post is not enough to suggest any troubleshooting process other than to reset the ORBI to factory defaults, reload the currrent firmware and manually reconfigure it.

Message 2 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Hoping NG support can have a look at this. So try this out as well.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 3 of 26
VicMan
Aspirant

I experienced the same problem, Netflix was not working and some 404 in web browsing, I just disable daisy chain and now everything is working fine

Message 4 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@VicMan wrote:

I experienced the same problem, Netflix was not working and some 404 in web browsing, I just disable daisy chain and now everything is working fine

It's very strange that Daisy Chain has anything to do with this issue. Can it be that the reboot accompanying the change of the Daisy Chain setting was what really solved your issue? If that is the case then you might get the same issue again later....I'd look at "double router" setup when I see such an issue at browsing (404 not found).

Message 5 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

When you disabled Daisy Chain, did you remove the check mark from the check box from Daisy Chain in the routers UI? 

Also you can set up different DNS addresses as well on the Orbi router, I use .1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9

@VicMan wrote:

Message 6 of 26
Sherriebass
Aspirant

Message 7 of 26
Sherriebass
Aspirant

Same problem with Safari links, Netflix movies, appletv tv shows, and amazon prime movies. Grrrr!
Message 8 of 26
ekhalil
Master

I think that the issue here is caused by double NAT.
If your Orbi is in Router Mode then please make sure that your ISP router is bridged and not working as another router in the network.
Another option would be to set Orbi in AP Mode.
Message 9 of 26
Sherriebass
Aspirant

Vermont telephone modemPace111
Connected to Cisco VEN501-NA
Hardware version V03 Date 05/13
Cisco p/n 40442286

Connected to:
Orbi RBR50 modem “wired”
Firmware: 2.2.1.210

Connected via wifi to:
Orbi Sat #3/ 5GHZ
Hardware version RBS50
Firmware: V2.2.1.210

Also connected via wifi to:
Orbi Sat #2/5 GHZ
Hardware version RBS50

Also connected via wifi to:
Orbi Sat#1/5GHZ
Hardware Version RBS50

Also connected to:
Orbi Outdoor Satellite/5GHZ
Hardware: RBS50Y
Firmware: V2.2.1.204

Then connected to mac, ipad, iphones, Samsung tv, etc.

Problems loading some links to webpages, states 404 Not Found
Also: Apple tv connected via wifi, but wont launch any programs
Message 10 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@Sherriebass wrote:
Vermont telephone modemPace111
Connected to Cisco VEN501-NA
Hardware version V03 Date 05/13
Cisco p/n 40442286

Thanks for the information.

1. I could not find anything regarding the Pace111, but the Cisco VEN501-NA is a wireless router that needs to be bridged in order to avoid double NATing in your network. Wifi should also be disabled in the Cisco router. I guess that this router is not bridged today right?
  2. If you want to keep the ISP router setup as it's today then you have an option to operate Orbi in AP mode, which should also work for you.

So it's up to you which router you want to select as your main network router, but you need to have only one router to avoid all the headaches that will come from that.

Message 11 of 26
jdtx120
Aspirant

tcl tv gpkeeps disconnecting from orbi wifi.

Message 12 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Whats the distance from the TV to the Orbi router or nearest satellite? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@jdtx120 wrote:

Message 13 of 26
VicMan
Aspirant

I know that the purpose of Daisy Chain should not affect a single configuration of 1router-1satellite, but 1 week later everything is working fine .

maybe the cause could be the congestion of many WiFi in the neighborhood is almost impossible to find an empty channel

Message 14 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@jdtx120 wrote:

Message 15 of 26
lepack
Aspirant

Went through the same disappointment with my Orbi. It just started throwing 404s and not allowing connection to many devices. Factory reset made it come back to life but frustrating to see that this issue hasn’t been resolved/addressed.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 16 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

There is newer FW available. 

@lepack wrote:
Went through the same disappointment with my Orbi. It just started throwing 404s and not allowing connection to many devices. Factory reset made it come back to life but frustrating to see that this issue hasn’t been resolved/addressed.

Message 17 of 26
Sherriebass
Aspirant

The main Pace router is in the basement, then it is attached to the VEN504-NA, then a cable is connected that goes upstairs to 1st floor, and attaches to the Orbi Router RBR50 (which is next to the television), then i have 4 satellites throughout the house.  I have no idea where to edit Daisy Chain, etc...  Is it in Orbi?  Or the Pace VTEL modem?  I am not currently at that location, either.

Message 18 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Router Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

You should try Option #3...

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

How close to the TV is tehe Orbi router? Too close to the TV can cause problems. 3-6 feet distance between electronic devices is recommended. 

@Sherriebass wrote:

The main Pace router is in the basement, then it is attached to the VEN504-NA, then a cable is connected that goes upstairs to 1st floor, and attaches to the Orbi Router RBR50 (which is next to the television), then i have 4 satellites throughout the house.  I have no idea where to edit Daisy Chain, etc...  Is it in Orbi?  Or the Pace VTEL modem?  I am not currently at that location, either.

Message 19 of 26
lepack
Aspirant

Current FW is 2.2.1.210. Is this the latest? ISP router is a Cisco DCP3825. Thanks!
Message 20 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What model Orbi do you have? 

50 series new FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

20/40 series new FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-28/td-p/1...

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@lepack wrote:
Current FW is 2.2.1.210. Is this the latest? ISP router is a Cisco DCP3825. Thanks!

Message 21 of 26
lepack
Aspirant

I have the 50 series. 

The ISP router/modem was previously set to act as a modem only by the ISP. (1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.)  The configuration (Orbi + Cisco modem) was working fine (for 18 months) until about a month ago or so.

Web and mobile interfaces tell me my fireware is up-to-date.  Does this mean I need to install the new 2-3-0-32 firmware manually?  Thanks.

Message 22 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know the mode of the modem. This is good.

Yes, please download the FW files and manually install them. Have a wired PC connected to the Back of the Orbi router when you begin. Don't update via wireless. 

@lepack wrote:

I have the 50 series. 

The ISP router/modem was previously set to act as a modem only by the ISP. (1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.)  The configuration (Orbi + Cisco modem) was working fine (for 18 months) until about a month ago or so.

Web and mobile interfaces tell me my fireware is up-to-date.  Does this mean I need to install the new 2-3-0-32 firmware manually?  Thanks.

Message 23 of 26
lepack
Aspirant

My Orbi FW has been upgraded (router and satellite) to 2-3-0-32 as recommended. Everything is currently running as it should from what I can tell. I really hope my Orbi is back for good. Thanks!
Message 24 of 26
lepack
Aspirant

One last question. Will the auto firmware update resume on its own now that I manually updated to this version? I’ve been reading countless nightmares of auto updates of bad firmware that are messing up people’s networks. If so, how can I turn this off?
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7