Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 wifi disconnections

Pypeke
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 wifi disconnections

After installing the Orbi RBR50 in July 2019, I began to notice dropped wifi connections every once in a while. When I called Netgear, they helped me fix it. The problems came back in a few months. In December, 2019, the dropped connections began to appear more frequently. Sometimes, if I reboot modem, router, and satellite, it fixes the problem. Sometimes, it does not fix the problem. I can reboot over and over, but the wifi connection will only last for a few seconds, an hour, or a day or so. Modem's wifi is turned off, and there is no battery backup on the modem. Orbi is set to router mode.

More info:

What Firmware is currently loaded? V2.3.5.34
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected to? Zyxel model #VMG3925-B10A

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 3500 sf

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.   I started with 64 ft, then moved satellite to 46 ft. Same problems.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

I have tried 1, 6, 8, 11 on 2.4ghz and tried multiple channels on 5ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? One nearby. 400ft away.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. enabled all

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Disabled all. Unchecked coexistence box. Rebooted modem, router, and satellite multiple times. Factory reset, too. 

I also set to static ip. 

Modem wifi is turned off. Orbi is set to router mode.

ISP came by to check a month ago, and we found that every time my Samsung Tab S3's wifi was turned on, the wifi froze for every other device, including the ISP's laptop. When I turned Tab S3's wifi off, wifi worked for all other devices. Then 2 weeks ago, we began having disconnections again. The Tab S3's wifi was off, so the problem is not the Tab S3. I have tried 2 different laptops, 2 Kindle HD8s, a Note 5, a Note 10+, and an S10. Now, all devices have disconnecting wifi problems. Not all are Samsung. 1 HP Windows 10 laptop and 1 Sony Windows 10 laptop. The devices all work at other locations without wifi disconnecting, so it is either an Orbi problem or an ISP problem. 

I contacted Netgear several times in December, and they said there is a known issue with Samsung. I have read many posts regarding Samsung and Orbi, but I have also read that some other brands like Apple are having the same dropped connections. I only went back to 2017 when reading posts. It is obvious that Netgear has known about this for at least 3 years. 

Early in December: Netgear would not even talk to me without a credit card number. Netgear decided that I had a defective unit and said they would be sending me a replacement. They said I purchased a used Orbi from Amazon because someone had already registered it. Not under my name in their records.  They asked me to upload my proof of purchase and picture of serial number onto the website with my case #.    I did.      I also added a picture of my Amazon order that stated my Orbi was NEW. I never received a new replacement Orbi.

Called again...in late December because they canceled my case #. They said (AGAIN) that I needed to upload the same documents. I uploaded them again, and emailed them also. Still no replacement Orbi.

I called again today because, once again, they canceled my case #. They still did not have any of the documents that I have sent twice. I asked for this case to be escalated. They said they could not because the supervisors were ALL in a meeting.  They told me that someone would get back with me today. They did not call me back. 

So, any suggestions to fix this problem? I have exclusively used Netgear for many years! 

I guess at this point, they are trying to stall until the warranty expires. 

How can I figure out if it is an Orbi problem or an ISP problem?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Pypeke
Aspirant

Also, I am using WPA2-PSK [AES] security settings. IPv6 is disabled.

Message 2 of 6
Shahab
Apprentice

Hi, Are you still experiencing the same issues?
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried the new v16 FW yet? 

Also you can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

@Shahab wrote:

Message 4 of 6
BigRune
Apprentice

So sorry to read how you are treated @Pypeke. Completely unacceptable situation as a customer. You are actively being misled by Netgear. ”All managers are in a meeting” is classic..... Try an other manufacturers' equipment now and don't spend more time or money on Netgear.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

This user has probably moved on sinces it's been 3 months since last posting. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR40-WiFi-disconnects-daily/td-p/1898770/jump-to/first-u...

@Shahab wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7