Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 will not work with new Spectrum modem

truprecht
Guide

Orbi RBR50 will not work with new Spectrum modem

We have had an Orbi RBR50/RBS50 working with a Spectrum modem/router for 2 years.  We've recently had some problems with internet connectivity going down intermittently.   We called Spectrum, who decided the problem was the modem/router, so we exchanged it for new separate modem and router devices.  We reconnect the Orbi directly to the modem and it cannot get an internet signal.

We plugged connected to the modem to a laptop via ethernet and confirmed the modem is working.  We plugged the Spectrum-provided router into the modem, and that also works.  But the Orbi will still not get an internet signal whether plugged directly into the modem or into the router. 

We have talked to Spectrum support, and they had some process of "registering" one router or another on the modem.  (I've never heard of an ISP having to 'register' a device connected to a modem, but this is not my area of expertise).   The Spectrum router did not work properly until they registered it.  They supposedly registered it back to the Orbi, but the Orbi would still not connect. 

I'm assuming the Orbi did not just die between the time we disconnected the old modem/router and connected the new modem.  So either there is some setting in Orbi that needs to change, some "registration" voodoo that Spectrum needs to do, or some fundamental incompatibility between the new modem device and the Orbi.   How can we get the Orbi working again?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
truprecht
Guide

OK, it's fixed.  Connected to Modem.  Followed the "new setup" instructions in the app, and it booted up fine.  I swear I did that no fewer than 3 times yesterday, but today it's working.  Thanks for the repsonses.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 21

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? If so,

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Power OFF both ISP modem and RBR for 1 minute. Then power On the modem, after it syncs, power on the RBR...

Message 2 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree with @FURRYe38 .  As long as you use ONLY the "modem" from Spectrum, there is no "Double NAT" because the Orbi is the only router.  His recommendation is sound.  Power both off.  Power on the modem and wait for it to connect and all the lights to stabilize.  Then power on the Orbi.  As with the previous equipment, connect the WAN (yellow) Orbi port to the (only one) modem port.

Message 3 of 21
truprecht
Guide

The old Spectrum device which worked fine for 2 years was a combination modem/router.  (We never connected to the Orbi via ethernet, only WiFi, so I don't know if it was configured as a router or access point.)   The new Spectrum hardware is separate modem and router devices.

Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Would need this information so we can help you determine a course of action...

Message 5 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@truprecht wrote:

The old Spectrum device which worked fine for 2 years was a combination modem/router.  (We never connected to the Orbi via ethernet, only WiFi, so I don't know if it was configured as a router or access point.)   The new Spectrum hardware is separate modem and router devices.

Did you tell Spectrum you already have a router?

if they insist you use their router, then either the Orbi or the Spectrum router will have to configured in the AP mode.  The old Spectrum device worked fine with the Orbi because somewhere in your network one of those routers was in AP mode.  

Message 6 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

If the Orbi is configured as an access point (AP), then it is waiting for "the router" to assign it an IP address, and there is no router.  As an AP, the only settings the Orbi has are WiFi name and password.

This should get you working.

Message 7 of 21
truprecht
Guide

If the Orbi is configured as AP, shouldn't it work when connected to the Spectrum router? (router, not modem).   It isn't.

I'm not in front of the hardware now, so I'll try some of the above recommendations and provide the ISP modem model info when I get home tonight. 

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the isp modem is a stand alone modem with out a built in router, then AP mode won't work with Orbi. Router mode will be needed. 

Message 9 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

IF the isp modem is a stand alone modem with out a built in router, then AP mode won't work with Orbi. Router mode will be needed. 

...but I thought Spectrum provided a new modem (seperate device) and a new router (seperate device)....?  If this is true, the issue is still 2 routers.

IMO....IF Spectrum will alow it, I would send their router back.

Message 10 of 21
truprecht
Guide

Yes - that's clear.  Something needs to be the router. 

Since the Orbi was previously plugged into a modem+router, it's not clear if it was set up as AP or router.  If it was set up as AP, then we plugged it into the new modem-only, it would not work because nothing is serving as the router. 

However, after we couldn't get the Orbi to work with the modem, we set up the Spectrum-provided router-only device. It's working.  If the Orbi is set up as AP, shouldn't it then work correctly when plugged into the router-only? 

Message 11 of 21
truprecht
Guide

i.e.  If the Orbi is in Router mode, it should work when plugged into the Modem.   If the Orbi is in AP mode, it should work when plugged into the Router.  Correct?  It is not working in either configuration.   My preference is to use the Orbi in Router mode, plugged into the modem, and to return the redundant Spectrum router.

Message 12 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@truprecht wrote:

Yes - that's clear.  Something needs to be the router. 

Since the Orbi was previously plugged into a modem+router, it's not clear if it was set up as AP or router.  If it was set up as AP, then we plugged it into the new modem-only, it would not work because nothing is serving as the router. 

However, after we couldn't get the Orbi to work with the modem, we set up the Spectrum-provided router-only device. It's working.  If the Orbi is set up as AP, shouldn't it then work correctly when plugged into the router-only? 

I really think you need to answer the question about the Spectrum devices.  Before all of this you had no choice (?) you had to use use their mode/router combo.  Is that still true today?

Message 13 of 21
truprecht
Guide

Firmware version is V2.3.1.44

Spectrum-provided modem is manufactured by Hitron Technologies, model number is E31N2V1.

I have tried to access the Orbi configuration by connecting an ethernet cable from the internet port on the Orbi to my laptop, opening a browser and connecting to orbilogin.com, but it just puts me in an endless loop asking for login/password and saying the connection is not private.

I can connect via the iPhone app, version 2.4.2.4...

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 21
truprecht
Guide

OK, it's fixed.  Connected to Modem.  Followed the "new setup" instructions in the app, and it booted up fine.  I swear I did that no fewer than 3 times yesterday, but today it's working.  Thanks for the repsonses.

Message 15 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@truprecht wrote:

Nice job....are you still using the Spectrum router?

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank for confirming the modem information. The modem is a modem only so no built in router here. FYI, this modem has a Puma 7 chip set and there are known issues with this chip set. You may want to move to a broadcom chipset modem at some point. 

Glad you go the Orbi system setup. 

Enjoy. 

@truprecht wrote:

Firmware version is V2.3.1.44

Spectrum-provided modem is manufactured by Hitron Technologies, model number is E31N2V1.

I have tried to access the Orbi configuration by connecting an ethernet cable from the internet port on the Orbi to my laptop, opening a browser and connecting to orbilogin.com, but it just puts me in an endless loop asking for login/password and saying the connection is not private.

I can connect via the iPhone app, version 2.4.2.4...

Message 17 of 21
truprecht
Guide

I am not using the Spectrum router.  The Orbi is in router mode connected directly to the modem.

Message 18 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@truprecht wrote:

I am not using the Spectrum router.  The Orbi is in router mode connected directly to the modem.

Thanks.....kinda what I was suggesting the other day.

Message 19 of 21
truprecht
Guide

Also, FWIW, one thing I did differently this time was unplug an additional ethernet connection from one of the Orbi router ports before restarting/reconnecting.   (It was the connection for an Arlo base station).   Would that ethernet connection have interfered with the Orbi connecting to the modem?

Message 20 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@truprecht wrote:

Also, FWIW, one thing I did differently this time was unplug an additional ethernet connection from one of the Orbi router ports before restarting/reconnecting.   (It was the connection for an Arlo base station).   Would that ethernet connection have interfered with the Orbi connecting to the modem?

I wouldn't think so. I believe your problem was in the swap out of the Spectrum gear.  I'm glad you're up and running!

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7