Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 wired connection problems

milklksubstance
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 wired connection problems

Since some time last night, my wired network devices are not communicating with my Orbi router, while all WiFi devices work just fine. They do show up in the device list with proper DHCP addresses (and in the case of my NAS, a static IP). Here's what I've done:

- Restarted a few wired devices (didn't work)

- Restarted my Orbi via the web interface (didn't work)

- Restarted my Orbi via unplugging (didn't work)

- Restarted my cable modem via unplugging (didn't work)

- Unplugged Orbi and cable modem for 30 minutes (didn't work)

- Downgraded firmware from V2.3.1.60 to V2.3.1.44 (this worked, but only for about 20 minutes)

I'm at a loss as to what I need to do.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 wired connection problems

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

By static IP, does this mean you put an IP address ON the NAS? 

It's recommended to set a smaller default IP address pool size. 192.168.1.100 thru .200. Then you can set static IP addresses ON devices such as NAS, printers, controllers and cameras that don't need much router management on either side of this pool. The default IP address pool will be used for reserved IP addresses for devices that need router management, like game consoles, PCs and phones. 

I would power OFF ALL wired devices accept for 1 wired PC. Factory reset and setup from scratch. After getting the RBR initally setup, set a reserved IP address for the 1 PC ON the RBR. Then power on the next device that you'd like to have a reserved IP address for. Keep doing this until all reserved IP addressed devices are saved. 

Then ensure your other devices with static IPs are configured correctly and set out side the default IP address pool. 

This should work for you. It's how mine is configured. 

@milklksubstance wrote:

Since some time last night, my wired network devices are not communicating with my Orbi router, while all WiFi devices work just fine. They do show up in the device list with proper DHCP addresses (and in the case of my NAS, a static IP). Here's what I've done:

- Restarted a few wired devices (didn't work)

- Restarted my Orbi via the web interface (didn't work)

- Restarted my Orbi via unplugging (didn't work)

- Restarted my cable modem via unplugging (didn't work)

- Unplugged Orbi and cable modem for 30 minutes (didn't work)

- Downgraded firmware from V2.3.1.60 to V2.3.1.44 (this worked, but only for about 20 minutes)

I'm at a loss as to what I need to do.

Message 2 of 4
milklksubstance
Aspirant

Modem: Surfboard SBG6580

Switches: Trendnet TEG-S8g and Netgear GS108.

Performed the factory reset - did not work.

There is a static IP on the NAS.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I would remove this swtich from the mix:

https://www.trendnet.com/products/product-detail?prod=525_TEG-S8g

There are known issues with Orbi and LAN switches with Green tech ethernet features. 

What is the RBRs default IP address pool size? 

@milklksubstance wrote:

Modem: Surfboard SBG6580

Switches: Trendnet TEG-S8g and Netgear GS108.

Performed the factory reset - did not work.

There is a static IP on the NAS.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7