Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 with two RBS50 disconnects

deltabravoh
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 with two RBS50 disconnects

I've updated to latest firmware and did a factory reset. Do I need to switch to AP mode as well? If this doesn't work I'm returning it. the last two months of disconnects, at the worst time too, are enough
Message 1 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Deltabravoh

can you give some more detail on the disconnects you are having are they all the time or at certain times? only on the satellites or router or both?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 15
deltabravoh
Aspirant

It's appears to be at random times. 

Message 3 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I would make sure MuMimo and beamforming are enabled under the Advanced setup-Wireless settings.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 15
deltabravoh
Aspirant

Ok I'm enabling both now. 3 disconnects today that I know about.i have latest firmware I have performed factory resets, re syncd etc.
We will see.
Message 5 of 15
deltabravoh
Aspirant

Multiple disconnects today. I have reset both the router and the satellites at least three times I have turned on beamforming and the other thing I am in ap mode.

Yet it continues to disconnect I suspect now it must be the hardware. If you send me a new router and two satellites I will send you back these pieces of crap. This is entirely taking too much work and wasting time with these disconnects.

Are they all source from the same place I suspect not since I must've done the crap batch.
Message 6 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello deltabravoh

I sent you a PM.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 15
Lmj107
Initiate

I am also having the disconnect issue.  Multiple times today and it's so frustrating.  I just enabled beamforming and mumino to see if that helps.  Installed v2.0.0.72 the other day and that did not help.  

Message 8 of 15
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am wondering if you guys are having the same issue I had with one of my UPnP devices causing disconnects. When I turned off UPnP the disconnects went away. It was definitly one of my camera's fighting with another devices for port 80 on UPnP and that somehow caused the router to hickup every so often.

For connectionless internet protocols like browsing or streaming it was hardly perceptable, but for things like RDP connections to my work and a VOIP session it was just murder trying to work with it.

Message 9 of 15
blimitedpt
Aspirant

I am having internet disconnect issues with the Orbi RBK50.  I have attempted to install the new firmware version v2.0.0.74.  When I download the software onto the update program, the program rejects the software and says it an incorrect version.  Why will the software not update, and from the comments in this post, the upgrade is still not solving the dropped internet issues.  I have two RBK50s and two RBS50s in my house at a considerable expense. I hope someone at Netgear gets these problems solved. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 10 of 15
blimitedpt
Aspirant

Hey Darren, could you send me a PM also. HELP!

Message 11 of 15
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@blimitedpt wrote:

... I have two RBK50s and two RBS50s in my house at a considerable expense. I hope someone at Netgear gets these problems solved. 

Wait - what? Why do you have two RBK50s? You are only supposed to have one router and add additional satallites as need? You can have 3 satellites connected to your one router easily. I don't know that netgear every tested or expected anyone to be running two Orbi routers on the same network with two satellites.

Message 12 of 15
blimitedpt
Aspirant

I have a very large house, 11,000 sq feet. one orbi RBR 50 and One RBS50 run the main house. The addition to the house has a RBR50 and a RBS50.

From the modem, the ethernet cable goes to a netgear GS608 switch.  From the netgear ethernet switch, an ethernet cable runs to the main house RBR50, and another ethernet cable goes to the addition.  Each RBR has their own sattelite.

I have been having both systems dropping the internet connection frequently.

I have not been able to download the firmware update v2.0.0.74 from the netgear website.  I will try again.

Message 13 of 15
st_shaw
Master

@blimitedpt wrote:

I have a very large house, 11,000 sq feet. one orbi RBR 50 and One RBS50 run the main house. The addition to the house has a RBR50 and a RBS50.

From the modem, the ethernet cable goes to a netgear GS608 switch.  From the netgear ethernet switch, an ethernet cable runs to the main house RBR50, and another ethernet cable goes to the addition.  Each RBR has their own sattelite.

I have been having both systems dropping the internet connection frequently.

I have not been able to download the firmware update v2.0.0.74 from the netgear website.  I will try again.

I cannot say if this is the cause of your problems, but a two-router setup has numerous ways to cause problems.

First, you are attaching two WAN devices to your ISP connection.  Some ISPs don't allow that, and doing so will cause periodic loss of your Internet connection.

Second, on my Orbi in the US at least, Orbi always operates on channels 36-48 in the 5 GHz band.  So, if the router or satellite from one of your Orbi sets is within range of the router or satellite from the other set, they will interfere, reducing throughput.

Third, Orbi tries to use 40 MHz channels the 2.4 GHz band by default.  There is only ONE such channel, so both Orbis cannot operate without interference unless the channels are managed. And, even if channels are managed properly, you will get lower throughput.  To manage channels, you should  set one RBK50 to use channels 1 and set the other RBK50 set o use channel 11.  You should also check "enable 20/40 MHz" coexistence on each set.

Fourth, there appears to be no way to manage channel usage on the Orbi's backhaul.  So, unless the routers are smart enough to avoid each other (very doubtful) then you should expect interference on the backhaul.  This woud result in lower throughput and maybe even client disconnections.

I wouldn't expect anything in the firmware to address any of the above issues.

You could try disconnecting one set and see if the issues resolve.  Alternatively, you could remove the second router and cover your house with one router and multiple satellites.  The new satellite daisy-chain capability should help in your situation.

Message 14 of 15
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@blimitedpt wrote:

From the modem, the ethernet cable goes to a netgear GS608 switch.  From the netgear ethernet switch, an ethernet cable runs to the main house RBR50, and another ethernet cable goes to the addition.  ...

So is the Modem running as a router itself? If so are your Orbis Routers running in AP only mode? If so I would expect trouble as they are on the same network and can see each other and try to interfere.

Are both Orbi sets using the same SSID? If so I would expect trouble as clients try to bounce back form one router to another.

It may have been a good intention, but it's definitly the wrong way to try to cover 11,000 sq feet.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7