Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 won't let me update apps

Blueridger
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 won't let me update apps

All,

I bought my RBR50 (and satellite) in November 2018, and installed in a fios house w/o incident. The unit's internet connection became intermittent last night. I reset the unit, and that mostly solved the problem. However, while I can connect to the internet generally, I am unable to update apps on my ipad. Also, the unit is refusing to connect to me Arlo hub, and it requires username/password credentials for many websites.

I had the problem in February and I can't remember how I resolved it. Can anyone help?

BTW, I try to log in to the Orbi through the desktop login site, and receive an error 41 code that demands that I log into the router, then it rejects my credentials.

Thanks!

Steve

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Blueridger
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 won't let me update apps

Believe it or not, Netgear customer service solved the problem. The problem was IP address conflict between my router and Fios. I couldn't access the router b/c I stupidly followed their directions to log in (admin/password). It turns out that the password was the new one I assigned to the router. Once I entered that, the unit automatically assigned itself a new IP address, and all was golden.

Thanks everyone!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Does your fios have a combo device thats running in router mode? If you've got a router running in front of the Orbi and the orbi's in router mode, you'll end up with a double nat. Usually doesn't cause issues but its something you can look at. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 9
Blueridger
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. Of course, I'm trying this from work, when I'm away from my router. I'll have to try these solutions at home. FWIW, I have the black Verizon router that I received with my gigabyte package. 

Steve

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Blueridger wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Of course, I'm trying this from work, when I'm away from my router. I'll have to try these solutions at home. FWIW, I have the black Verizon router that I received with my gigabyte package. 

Steve

Message 5 of 9
Blueridger
Aspirant

OK, I'm now home with the Orbi. I'm trying to configure my Orbi for AP mode. I've turned off the wifi on my Verizon router (gone into security, turned off 2.4 and 5gh wifi) and am trying to login to Orbi from a wifi connected device (orbilogin.com). It asks for admin and password. I typed in "admin" and "password". The router just repeated the login screen. When I used "Password" as the password, I was redirected to a screen that says, "401 unauthorized" and "access to this resource is denied." It then asks me to enter my router's serial number. I entered the serial number and was told it "did not match."

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 9
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Blueridger wrote:

OK, I'm now home with the Orbi. I'm trying to configure my Orbi for AP mode. I've turned off the wifi on my Verizon router (gone into security, turned off 2.4 and 5gh wifi) and am trying to login to Orbi from a wifi connected device (orbilogin.com). It asks for admin and password. I typed in "admin" and "password". The router just repeated the login screen. When I used "Password" as the password, I was redirected to a screen that says, "401 unauthorized" and "access to this resource is denied." It then asks me to enter my router's serial number. I entered the serial number and was told it "did not match."

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reboot the Orbi.  Then use Orbi IP address instead of its DNS name, orbilogin.com, which could be locally resolved to a stale IP address.  Now that the Orbi is in AP mode, its IP adress should be something other than 192.168.1.1/10.0.0.1.  Also, restart the browser, clear the browser's cookies/cache before retrying.  If all else fails and you're out of option, you might have to reset/restart from Factory Reset.

Message 7 of 9
Blueridger
Aspirant

Believe it or not, Netgear customer service solved the problem. The problem was IP address conflict between my router and Fios. I couldn't access the router b/c I stupidly followed their directions to log in (admin/password). It turns out that the password was the new one I assigned to the router. Once I entered that, the unit automatically assigned itself a new IP address, and all was golden.

Thanks everyone!

Message 8 of 9

@Blueridger wrote:

The problem was IP address conflict between my router and Fios.

See above:

Re: Orbi RBR50 won't let me update apps - NETGEAR Communities

Modem Combo Units

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7