Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50

NAMetz
Tutor

Orbi RBR50

Hello community. I have a Macbook device that after some internet outage and rebooting, is not allowing any web pages to be searched. Whether I use Chrome or Safari, any web search ends in "Privacy Error" or "This device is blocked by Access Control in the router". I have tried everything I know to try and get the internet reset, forgetting network and adding again, etc. Modem and router has been been unplugged and rebooted a couple times on Saturday.

We have about 40 devices and this seems to be the only one affected. We have Windows, Apple, other smart home devices and this one device just won't allow web search. I also joined my phone hotspot on this Macbook and everything worked fine.

I'm also having problems accessing the router webpage to do any troubleshooting. It's just cycling saying "Please wait a moment" and won't connect or even time out. At a loss on how to get this to work as I also found directions to delete devices from the device manager section in the app, but that does not work either as no matter what I do, I don't get the option to "delete device". 

Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 43

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50

Good to hear. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed again. 
Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 37 of 43

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do you have any accesss controls enabled on the RBR? Armor or Circle? 

Message 2 of 43
CrimpOn
Guru

@NAMetz wrote:

I'm also having problems accessing the router webpage to do any troubleshooting. It's just cycling saying "Please wait a moment" and won't connect or even time out. At a loss on how to get this to work as I also found directions to delete devices from the device manager section in the app, but that does not work either as no matter what I do, I don't get the option to "delete device". 

If other computers in the house are not having problems, how about using one of them to access the router web interface?

Can you post a coy of those directions about "deleting devices from the device manager section iin the app"?  My Orbi app has no such option.  (As a philosophical note, the concept of "deleting a device" makes no sense.  Either a device is connected or it is not.  The way to make it "go away" is to disconnect it.  i.e. unplug [wired] or disconnect [WiFi])

My first thought is to use a different computer to reach the Orbi web interface and see if "Access Control" is enabled and what it says about this MacBook.

Message 3 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

Here is the link: https://kb.netgear.com/000062162/How-do-I-remove-a-device-from-the-Device-Manager-list-in-the-Orbi-a...

I have since tried accessing the router interface via a computer and it does not load. I tried on multiple computers. So I decided to power off router, satellite and modem to reboot the system. Modem came online fine but now the router just goes into a mode after powering on that has a pulsating white light. I’ve powered off and on twice and it won’t boot up. It’s been 15-20 minutes so far, has never taken that long to come back.

I was running the latest firmware, can’t access any of the info now.

No idea what to do now. My modem is the Arris SB8200. Always been rock solid.
Message 4 of 43
vajim
Master

The one observation that continues to amaze me with posts such as this is we have no idea how this problem came about.   Is this a new setup or have you owned the Orbi for awhile.   Any changes to the network, new devices, firmware updates, power outages, etc.

Without providing more details as to how we got where we are one must conclude that the user woke up one morning to the problem.

Message 5 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

Also, I do have Armor enabled and we do use Circle. Have for months with no issues.
I guess I have to burn $90 for the 6 month service plan, what a racket.
Message 6 of 43
vajim
Master

@NAMetz wrote:
Also, I do have Armor enabled and we do use Circle. Have for months with no issues.
I guess I have to burn $90 for the 6 month service plan, what a racket.

Firmware updates?

Message 7 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@NAMetz wrote:

Hello community. I have a Macbook device that after some internet outage and rebooting, is not allowing any web pages to be searched. Whether I use Chrome or Safari, any web search ends in "Privacy Error" or "This device is blocked by Access Control in the router". I have tried everything I know to try and get the internet reset, forgetting network and adding again, etc. Modem and router has been been unplugged and rebooted a couple times on Saturday.

We have about 40 devices and this seems to be the only one affected. We have Windows, Apple, other smart home devices and this one device just won't allow web search. I also joined my phone hotspot on this Macbook and everything worked fine.

Thank you.

Message 8 of 43
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@NAMetz wrote:

Thank you.

Please hold up.   We've not been told anything about firmware 

Message 9 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

Have owned for over a year. I don’t know how this came about. All I know is the system went down at one point Saturday morning, not sure how or why. Everything came back online but there were certain devices that would not gain access to the internet. By turning them off or pausing in the app and then turning on, they seemed to work again. The one that did not was the MacBook in my original post.

Not being able to get it to work led to my troubleshooting today and here we are. Nothing else significant has changed, other than a new Xbox X added on Christmas. All other devices have been on the network.
Message 10 of 43
vajim
Master

So you don't know the history of your firmware?

Message 11 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

I can’t get into anything to see firmware. All I know is it was the latest version for the RBR50, as I checked for updates.
Message 12 of 43
vajim
Master

You should be able to run a ethernet cable from your pc to the router to login to your router that is if the router is functioning correctly, no magenta color ring.  

Message 13 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

It’s currently a pulsing white ring. I will try to run an Ethernet cable and see if I can access it.
Message 14 of 43
vajim
Master

After a few minutes the white ring should go away 

Message 15 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

White ring has been pulsating for about 40-45 minutes now.
I plugged an Ethernet cable into one of the ports and connected directly to computer.
Typed in router IP and says “can’t connect to the server”
Message 16 of 43
vajim
Master

Sounds like there's something wrong with the router.  It is plugged into your modem?

if so and the white ring is still on you may need to perform a factory reset. 

Message 17 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

Will I need to factory reset the satellite too?
Appreciate the help here, this is so frustrating when you pay for this type of hardware and have these issues. I’ve had outages and bugs periodically for as long as I’ve had this system.
I was using old Apple Time Capsule routers for years and never had issues other than occasional reboots here and there.
Message 18 of 43
vajim
Master

@NAMetz wrote:
Will I need to factory reset the satellite too?

Yes

Once you get the router to settle down, then try and login with your pc to the router.  Check the firmware ans post back.  Lots of folks here are reasdy to help with how to straighten our problems with your firmware.

Message 19 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

Ok, so right after I posted last msg, Internet popped up AND I can access the router page. I have not yet booted the satellite back up.
Wonder why it took so long to come back online.
Firmware is V2.7.0.70
Should I be ok to boot up satellite?
Message 20 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

My Orbi app says Wi-Fi not detected but yet I have internet and wi-Fi on devices. What the heck is going on?
Message 21 of 43
vajim
Master

@NAMetz wrote:
My Orbi app says Wi-Fi not detected but yet I have internet and wi-Fi on devices. What the heck is going on?

At this point I wouldn't worry about the app.  You can come back to it later.  FYI. I never use the app.

Im not familiar with the firmware you posted.  Others here may be of more help

Keep something else in mind, sometimes when rebooting the router and satellites you need to leave it alone for several minutes.   Especially with the number of devices you have on your network 

good luck 

Message 22 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

Thanks for trying but something is just not right.
The laptop that started all this still can’t get to any webpage.
The router interface shows no connected devices at all but yet I have Internet on the ones I’ve tried.
My router must auto download firmware because I did not do it manually. Maybe I’ll change that setting if you can.
Message 23 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

When I try to access the Attached Devices section using Access Control, I get “500 Internal Server Error”.
Message 24 of 43
vajim
Master
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7