Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50

FURRYe38
Guru

IF you got into the RBRs web page, might be a good time to update FW on the RBS first if you can get it to connect and sync, then update the RBR lastly. v70 you have maybe in a bad state. It's been superseded by v102 now:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2034115/high...

Use a wired PC and web browser to send the FW files if you choose to update. 

Good Luck. 

Message 26 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

I have an iMac so will that work just the same? I’ve never done a manual firmware update on the Orbi. Is it easy to do?
Message 27 of 43
vajim
Master
NAMetz
Tutor

Thanks, I will give it a try.
Many users are just not that savvy with all this stuff. Part of the reason I’m ok paying for top end equipment by reputable companies so this type of thing is avoided. Frustrating they release updates that aren’t stable or thoroughly tested.
Message 29 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

So if anyone is still there, my app works now and shows the router and satellite. The router webpage shows no satellite so if that is the preferred device to update first, how can that be done if it’s not showing?
Message 30 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

So the manual update is in process. There is a newer firmware posted on the product page (prior to the v102 posted in this thread) that when I checked for updates it said there were none. Why would that be? It’s on the product page for my exact product and is a version newer than what was on my device.
Message 31 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can use a mac with it's ethernet port. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Some updates will not appear on the RBRs web page as being availalble. So users can check NGs download page for FW files to update with.

@NAMetz wrote:
So if anyone is still there, my app works now and shows the router and satellite. The router webpage shows no satellite so if that is the preferred device to update first, how can that be done if it’s not showing?

Message 32 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

So I updated the firmware on the satellite and all went well. I then updated the router and it showed it had updated successfully.
But as the router was coming back online it gets stuck with a solid magenta ring and when logging in to the web interface I can no longer get an internet connection. I did shut down the router and reboot, but it’s stuck again and can’t get to the internet.
Message 33 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF the ISP Modem for 30 seconds then back ON...

Message 34 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

I did the full power off on all three devices (modem, router, sat). Let each one come back on separately, initially same issue with router as it was showing the solid magenta ring for several minutes. Then the light just went out and all seems to be back and working, even the laptop that was blocked and no more error pages in the Orbi web interface.
So in the end, seems it was the firmware that solved the problem by updating, but what an ordeal.
Thanks to all who helped along the way...saved me $90 for now!
Message 35 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

By the way is it normal for devices that are connected not to show up on the device list in the web interface or mobile app?
The laptop MacBook Air that was having issues works now and is connected to the network but doesn’t show up at all so far. I’ve refreshed a few times but nothing. Guess it doesn’t matter if it’s working but seems odd.
Message 36 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed again. 
Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 43
vajim
Master

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 38 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

Well I believe this was marked "SOLVED" so not sure if this is the right place to reply again, but more issues this morning after the upgrade to the latest firmware (v102) and rebooting everything. At this point the devices being used seem to work and are connected to the internet. 

However, I was on the router webpage interface checking things and in the access control section I started to see devices showing up as "Blocked". No idea why and I checked them or went into edit and changed to "Allow". Not only did that not work but each time I refreshed at least one more blocked device showed up. 

After a few of these attempts to allow those blocked devices, access to the router web page interface is now denied. When I type in the 192.168.1.1 on this computer, I get the red/black screen saying the "Device is Blocked by Access Control". How is that possible when it's the actual router page!

I then tried to log in to the router page on my iPhone and it worked fine. So at this point my Windows laptop has somehow prevented me from getting to the router interface page. On my phone now it shows about 10 of the 37 devices blocked, including the laptop I'm on but other than the router webpage, I can access whatever I want.

Going to monitor but any ideas on what is going on is appreciated. Should I just turn Access Control off? I really don't have a need for it as far as I know, need to research "why" a bit more I guess.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 39 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

I would disable access controls if you don't have a real need for it. Mines disabled. Possible that there maybe some issues with Access controls if you had it enabled prior to FW updates.

You only need to reply once for your solution. 

Message 40 of 43
NAMetz
Tutor

Thanks, I will try to disable and see if that clears things up. Should I reboot the router and satellite after those kinds of changes?

So it's ok to reply to posts after they are solved? Just don't want to cause confusion or break community rules.

Message 41 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, however I prefer powering OFF for 15 to 30 seconds then back ON after the change is applied. 

Message 42 of 43
vajim
Master

...and as I stated before.....Keep something else in mind, sometimes when rebooting the router and satellites you need to leave it alone for several minutes.   Especially with the number of devices you have on your network 

Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7