Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50

Jshdlr10
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50

Hey guys, I'm a complete newbie to all of this. I was looking for some help and clarity. Hoping someone can help. 

I'm hoping to cut as many ties possible with cable and renting equipment. I purchased the RBR50 in hopes of only keeping the internet provider with my own equipment. Do I need any other product to complete my wifi system before returning all of the providers equipment? Is this a one in all product? I have the router and satellite, I believe. I'm very green as you may tell, please excuse me. Thanks in advance! 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi RBR50

You'll need a modem to go with the Orbi router

Message 2 of 8
Jshdlr10
Aspirant

Thank you! That's what I figured, but wasn't sure. Is there any specific I should be looking for in a modem when purchasing? 

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Jshdlr10 wrote:

Thank you! That's what I figured, but wasn't sure. Is there any specific I should be looking for in a modem when purchasing? 

Your best bet is to call your Internet provider and ask for recommendations.  If at all possible, stay away from modem/router combos.  They will work, but in my opinion, not worth the headaches.

Message 4 of 8

@Retired_Member wrote:

If at all possible, stay away from modem/router combos.  They will work, but in my opinion, not worth the headaches.

Very true. But from my experience you can't even guarantee the "they will work" bit.

As suggested, start with the ISP. But, not all ISPs will advise customers on the kit that will work on their networks. They want you to rent from them. Their experience of different brands may also be limited.

Start with the sort of Internet you have. DSL? Cable? Some sort of fibre? A satellite dish?

If your ISP has a user community, like this one, then you might get help there.

Or tell people here was USP iot is, There may be another user.

Then  there are places like Amazon, which sometimes mention ISPs, and may have reviews that say what they are on.

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

If at all possible, stay away from modem/router combos.  They will work, but in my opinion, not worth the headaches.

Very true. But from my experience you can't even guarantee the "they will work" bit.

As suggested, start with the ISP. But, not all ISPs will advise customers on the kit that will work on their networks. They want you to rent from them. Their experience of different brands may also be limited.

Start with the sort of Internet you have. DSL? Cable? Some sort of fibre? A satellite dish?

If your ISP has a user community, like this one, then you might get help there.

Or tell people here was USP iot is, There may be another user.

Then  there are places like Amazon, which sometimes mention ISPs, and may have reviews that say what they are on.

From my experience, I've been with Cox for years.  Started out renting their modem and later bought my own.  I believe Cox evens lists the modems that they recommend to work with with their network (for what it's worth) on their website.

I would never subscribe to an ISP that forced me to use their equipment that consisted of a modem/router combo.  

Message 6 of 8
Jshdlr10
Aspirant

Thank you all for your input. 

I have Xfiniity's highspeed which is DSL, I belive. 

Message 7 of 8

@Jshdlr10 wrote:

Thank you all for your input. 

I have Xfiniity's highspeed which is DSL, I belive. 

Google suggests that this could be cable or DSL. So, "I believe" needs confirming.

Is it coming in via a standard telephone line? What modem/router do you have now?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7