Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50V2 Wifi Speed 450Mb/s Max versus Internet Fiber Speed 950Mb/s

JameVLB
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50V2 Wifi Speed 450Mb/s Max versus Internet Fiber Speed 950Mb/s

I bought these devices while still using an ADSL connection, which was reaching 30Mb/s max at its best times.
Now my provider orange installed the Optic Fiber at home and measured speed is superior to 950Mb/s Download and 850Mb/s Upload.
The Orbi firmware are at 2.7.2.104.
The routeur is connected onto my box as AP (Access Point), Yellow Internet port connected with RJ45 Cat6 cable.

Measurements are as follows:

- Direct on Livebox Orange: 950Mb/s

- Direct on other RJ45 port of routeur: 900-950Mb/s

- Wifi Connection on Routeur: Max 250Mb/s, (device Samsung Galaxy Note 9 - 5GHz)
Satellite 1 and Satellite 2:

- Wifi Connection to Satellite 1 and 2: Still Max 250Mb/s, (device Samsung Galaxy Note 9 - 5GHz)

- RJ45 Cat6 Connection to Satellite 1 and 2 Max 400-450Mb/s on Ethernet Ports using 1Gb/s Port on PC
WifiOrvbi.jpg

Measured Internet speed indicated by ORBI Software on PC or Android App is 750-850Mb/s

Measured Speed by ORBIMeasured Speed by ORBI

Is it normal to loose HALF of the speed between the devices on a AC3000 devices?

Instability of devices

During the day, it may happen that connection is lost on the equipments connected to the satellites, then BOTH satellites do not relay Internet.
Reboot of Routeur + Sat1 + Sat2 is MANDATORY, and it lasts between 5 and 10 minutes, before all these guys settle down!!

Do other people experience the same problems? Internet speed and Start up time?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50V2 Wifi Speed 450Mb/s Max versus Internet Fiber Speed 950Mb/s

It is physically impossible for a WiFi connection to reach the same speed as a direct ethernet connection. Ethernet is full duplex, so response packets to the speed testing site are transmitted simultaneously with downstream packets.  WiFi is inherently half duplex. only one device can transmit at a time.  This applies to the WiFi between Orbi unit and user device and to the WiFi between Orbi router and satellites. WiFi performance falls off dramatically with distance.

There have been many posts from users with gigabit connections describing how their Orbi systems perform. Nobody gets anyplace close to full speed.  My sense is that there have been reports closer to 500mb than 250mb.  Not having fiber myself, I cannot speak from personal experience.

Message 2 of 5
JameVLB
Aspirant

Hello CrimpOn,

Thanks for your suggestion, you are completely right, and I should have thought about it.

Of course WiFi must be considered as half duplex. Then speed measurements are understandable.

I am definitely using them as Access Point.

Regarding the "unstability", Netgear support advised me to use fixed IP addresses, rather than relying on my DHCP (even assigned slots) server. 
This is great then, all the Orbi devices, Router AND the two satellites, always got the same IP prereserved in the DHCP Server.
However, I wonder about DHCP Lease Time, which is 1200mn = 20Hours, at this time the devices MUST renew their IP from the DHCP server, and THEN may cause a glitch to the connection Orbi RBR50 and Satellites....
What do you think?

Extra question, I found in the Web interface of router how to set up a fixed IP, but can't find anything for the satellites. Any idea?

Regards to all
JMA

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@JameVLB wrote:

Regarding the "unstability", Netgear support advised me to use fixed IP addresses, rather than relying on my DHCP (even assigned slots) server. 
This is great then, all the Orbi devices, Router AND the two satellites, always got the same IP prereserved in the DHCP Server.
However, I wonder about DHCP Lease Time, which is 1200mn = 20Hours, at this time the devices MUST renew their IP from the DHCP server, and THEN may cause a glitch to the connection Orbi RBR50 and Satellites....
What do you think?

Extra question, I found in the Web interface of router how to set up a fixed IP, but can't find anything for the satellites. Any idea

The Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup is used to reserve IP addresses for devices no matter which Orbi unit they connect to (router or satellite).  The satellite has no independent capability to reserve IP's.  It is critical to have the range of IP addresses that are used for reservations be different than the 'pool' being used for DHCP.  I reserve IP's for the Orbi satellites as well as user devices.

Technically, I believe the Orbi DHCP lease is 24 hours, specifically 86,400 seconds.  The way DHCP works, devices are expected to renew their IP assignment when the lease is half expired.  This does not cause any interruption in connection.  Wikipedia has a nice description of how DHCP works:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7