Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50V20 - unstable connection, internet frequently fails or speed drops down suddenly.

Maupert
Tutor

Orbi RBR50V20 - unstable connection, internet frequently fails or speed drops down suddenly.

I found many topics about similar problems I have. If tried all the offered solutions.

Since a few weeks I have serious problems with my RBR50V2 firmware  V2.7.3.22. Sometimes the speed drops from 250 (normal speed) up to 100 to 50 or 30 or even 2. It happens at random. So somitimes it happens on my Iphone, then on my Windows 10 laptop etc.

One of my satelites is wired the other one is wireless. The wireless satelite is 16 meters away from the router. No walls in the living room so oI internet in my garden. The wired router is about 10 meters on the second floor of my house.

Yesterday, after many, many times rebooting and changing channels, I did a factory reset. That did not help. Today again the same problems. Maybe good to know when I connect my laptop with an ethernet cable to the wireless satelite I have my 300 mbs. That is the same speed as what I get deliverd from my carrier. 

So at this point I hope that someone can help me to create a stable wireless network with the ORBI network.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50V20 - unstable connection, internet frequently fails or speed drops down suddenly.

Message 2 of 5
Maupert
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBR50V20 - unstable connection, internet frequently fails or speed drops down suddenly.

Okay so the advice is to use new firmware from Voxel. But this is not OEM firmware. Why do you think that this solves my problem? Why can netgear not solve this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Voxels FW is NOT OEM FW and there are reasons for that. There are some that delv into helping NG make stock FW work better. Voxel is one such person. So something to try and see if it fixes what your having problems with. NG doesn't fix problems over night. You'll need to contact NG support and let them know what your experiencing to see if they can help or if not, at least let them know yoru problems. In meantime, try voxels FW while you wait for NG. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Maupert wrote:

Yesterday, after many, many times rebooting and changing channels, I did a factory reset. That did not help. Today again the same problems. Maybe good to know when I connect my laptop with an ethernet cable to the wireless satelite I have my 300 mbs. That is the same speed as what I get delivered from my carrier. 

Intermittant problems are a challenge to diagnose. Customers lucky enough to be within the 90 days of 'complimentary support' can contact Netgear.  After that, they either pay for support or turn to other customers for help (such as this forum).

I usually ask first

• When did this problem begin?
  • "What changed" about the time the problem began?
    Firmware updated?  New devices on the network? New neighbor WiFi systems?
  • How often does the problem occur? once a day?  several times a day? every 30  minutes?
  • Does it affect all devices (wired and wireless)? or only certain devices?
  • Does it affect devices connected to all Orbi units (router and both satellites, or only some)?
  • Does it affect both 2.4G WiFi and 5G WiFi, or only one?

Some users have found misbehaving devices on the network. Once they were disconnected, everything returned to normal.

"Reboot" is the most common recommendations, going back to the early 1980's IBM PC's.  (and you have done that)

If that doesn't help, a Factory Reset and reconfigure is the next step.  For me, that is a two hour task and the network is not available until I finish.  I'd rather have three enemas than do a Factory Reset.  (It seems that you have done that)

If a total reset doesn't help, there are few other options.  One is to try 3rd party firmware. The thinking is, "what do I have to lose?  My system is unusable the way it is."  Voxel changed the way modules are compiled so there might be something in your situation which affects the stock Netgear firmware, but not his.

Firmware V2.3.7.22 is a frequent topic. I, myself, have seen no issues with this firmware, but others swear it is horrible.  So, one proposed solution is to return to an earlier firmware version.  There's a guide on the web for one way to do this and keep the Orbi from updating (at least long enough to see if previous firmware is more stable.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/se94mxcfzhpmi1o/Prevent%20Orbi%20from%20Updating.pdf?dl=0 

Aside from these steps, the best we can offer is to hear more details about exactly what is happening, when it happens, whih devices area affected, etc.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7