Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50v2 WiFi Connection Drops on Smartphone

skyward1
Apprentice

Orbi RBR50v2 WiFi Connection Drops on Smartphone

Hello,
I am a brand new Orbi customer.
The wifi stops working for my cell phones (Samsung S9+) when some time passes after a successful connection.
The wifi signal icon on the phone shows a exclamation mark (!) next to it. When this occurs, there is no wifi operation on my phones. If I turn the wifi off, on the phone, then on, the wifi starts working. It seems to work until you move around the house (but I'm not 100% certain if the same issue occurs when the phone is not moved around).
I have two RBS50 satellites connected, with wired backhaul (gigabit), Firmware v2.3.5.30, 2.4G channel 11, 5G channel 36+40+44+48(P). The distance between the router and 1st satellite is about 30 feet. The distance between the router and the 2nd satellite is about 60 feet. The distance between the 1st satellite and the 2nd satellite is about 30 feet. Daisy-Chain topology is enabled. The router is in router mode and connected to an Arris Surfboard SB8200 modem with gigabit service. Both the 2.4G and 5G signals are of good quality throughout the house.
This is really frustrating and irritating, as I was anticipating a solid wifi system with your pricey Orbi.
All other wifi devices are working fine. However, those devices are not being moved around. It seems that there is no 'mesh' going on with the Orbi system. And, Yes, I have rebooted everything, to no avail.
Please advise corrective action right away, so I can return this setup to Amazon before my 30 days are up, if you have no working solution.
Thank you!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50v2 WiFi Connection Drops on Smartphone

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain(Try this disabled), Fast Roaming(Try this both enabled and disabled), IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 23
skyward1
Apprentice

Hello FURRYe38,

First of all, thank you for your advice.  I really appreciate it.

However, you mentioned a lot of things to try.  I was anticipating a specific setting or setings to do that would correct this issue without trying so many things.

With that said, I am going to do some of the things you suggested trying, but I will just do one or two things and wait a while.  I chose to dis-enable the Daisy-Chain Topology (since I am using wired backhaul) and enable beamforming.

I will let this go for a few days and see if the issue is gone away.  If not, my plan is to enable fast roaming...wait and see; then enable MU-MIMO...wait and see.

I do not know what Circle is (nor have I ever heard of it) so, I am assuming that I do not have it.  Also, I am assuming that you must mean to diable Bitdefender Total Access (Netgear Armor), when you mentioned Armor.

WMM was already enabled for both the 2.4G and 5G bands.  There is no 40MHz only choice for the 20/40 MHz Coexistence, it is either enabled or not.

Again, thank you very much!

sky

Message 3 of 23
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@skyward1 wrote:

The wifi signal icon on the phone shows a exclamation mark (!) next to it. When this occurs, there is no wifi operation on my phones. If I turn the wifi off, on the phone, then on, the wifi starts working. It seems to work until you move around the house (but I'm not 100% certain if the same issue occurs when the phone is not moved around).

This implies that the hand off between Router/Satellite might not happen correctly.  Given you have wired backhaul, one of the first thing that you can try is to tick Enable Fast Roaming checkbox and hit "Apply".  Then start walking around with your phone to see if that resolves the hand off issue between Router/Satellite.

Message 4 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

"There is no 40MHz only choice for the 20/40 MHz Coexistence, it is either enabled or not." Un-checking the check box next to this feature and applying the change enabled 40Mhz only. 

@skyward1 wrote:

Hello FURRYe38,

First of all, thank you for your advice.  I really appreciate it.

However, you mentioned a lot of things to try.  I was anticipating a specific setting or setings to do that would correct this issue without trying so many things.

With that said, I am going to do some of the things you suggested trying, but I will just do one or two things and wait a while.  I chose to dis-enable the Daisy-Chain Topology (since I am using wired backhaul) and enable beamforming.

I will let this go for a few days and see if the issue is gone away.  If not, my plan is to enable fast roaming...wait and see; then enable MU-MIMO...wait and see.

I do not know what Circle is (nor have I ever heard of it) so, I am assuming that I do not have it.  Also, I am assuming that you must mean to diable Bitdefender Total Access (Netgear Armor), when you mentioned Armor.

WMM was already enabled for both the 2.4G and 5G bands.  There is no 40MHz only choice for the 20/40 MHz Coexistence, it is either enabled or not.

Again, thank you very much!

sky

Message 5 of 23
skyward1
Apprentice

Okay, thanks for the 20/40 MHz clarification.

Message 6 of 23
skyward1
Apprentice

I have gone ahead and enabled fast roaming.  I will see how things go over the next few days.

Thank you!

sky

Message 7 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it works out. 

@skyward1 wrote:

I have gone ahead and enabled fast roaming.  I will see how things go over the next few days.

Thank you!

sky

Message 8 of 23
skyward1
Apprentice

Thanks for your help, guys, but there is no change.

Also, the famous NetGear support has yet to contact me.  I submitted a ticket several days ago.

sky

Message 9 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Along with making the fast roaming change, do you apply any of the other suggestions while you wait for NG support to make contact? Sometimes it can be a day or two. 

@Blanca_O 

@skyward1 wrote:

Thanks for your help, guys, but there is no change.

Also, the famous NetGear support has yet to contact me.  I submitted a ticket several days ago.

sky

Message 10 of 23
skyward1
Apprentice

Yes, I have enabled beamforming and mu-mimo, as well as, the exclusive 40MHz, you suggested.  I am usuing channels 1 and 48.  The NetGear WiFi Analytics app had the best stats with those.  For my WiFi PC (on channel 1), it is getting much better speed, but the two S9+ phones had the '!' next to the WiFi icon again.

I am thinking about returning this system to Amazon.

Thanks!

sky

Message 11 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

You might go into the RBRs web page and see about assigning a IP address to these phones. 

Under Advanced tab/Setting/LAN Setup. 

I would forget the wifi profile on these phones, reboot them then attempt to reconnect. 

Message 12 of 23
skyward1
Apprentice

I have assigned static IPs for both of the S9+ phones.  I also had them forget the wifi, rebooted the phones, and then reconnected them.

Fingers crossed.

Thank you!

sky

Message 13 of 23
skyward1
Apprentice

Okay, I have done everything that was suggested, as far as I know.  The problem persists!  

I STILL have not received any response from the wonderful Netgear expert customer service team!

I bought this pricey system thinking that it would simply work.  So, it gives me a good wifi signal around the house and outside, but I can't enjoy it because my phones lose their wifi connection.  This is a normal service function of any wifi.  I, at least, enjoyed my old wifi system connecting to my phones (although sometimes having a weak signal that was also a problem).

I would think that a, what should be common issue, would have an easy fix with the settings.  Guess I was wrong.

Going forward, I ask that you please read this entire thread before you ask me if I have done this or that before you offer much appreciated help.

Thank you!

Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Well since others haven't posted similar problems, this maybe a problem with the Orbi system itself that you have

or with Orbi and these particular phones. 

Something I would contact Samsung about as well to see if there any known issues with these phones, there OS and Orbi. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 15 of 23
skyward1
Apprentice

Well, I finally got a response from the world-renowned Netgear tech support.  Unfortunately, her solution did not work.  I called tech support and spoke with a man last night.  His solutions did not work, either.  His main concern was that I had the Orbi router and two satellites in my 2600 SF house.  Which he said was too much, so he had me eliminate one satellite.  When I got up this morning and checked my phone, it had the "!" next to the wifi icon again!  I have started a return with Amazon to get rid of this worthless system.

I am now going to give Netgear another HUGE chance, as I have ordered the extremely pricey RBK852 system.  If it works as advertised with no glitches, I will suck up the cost.  If there are too many issues, especially time-consuming issues, or "try this" "try that" troubleshooting, I will go with one of Netgear's competitors.

Thanks for trying to help!  I really appreciate your time and efforts!

sky

Message 16 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry it didn't work out. 

Let us know how the 852 system works for you:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

@skyward1 wrote:

Well, I finally got a response from the world-renowned Netgear tech support.  Unfortunately, her solution did not work.  I called tech support and spoke with a man last night.  His solutions did not work, either.  His main concern was that I had the Orbi router and two satellites in my 2600 SF house.  Which he said was too much, so he had me eliminate one satellite.  When I got up this morning and checked my phone, it had the "!" next to the wifi icon again!  I have started a return with Amazon to get rid of this worthless system.

I am now going to give Netgear another HUGE chance, as I have ordered the extremely pricey RBK852 system.  If it works as advertised with no glitches, I will suck up the cost.  If there are too many issues, especially time-consuming issues, or "try this" "try that" troubleshooting, I will go with one of Netgear's competitors.

Thanks for trying to help!  I really appreciate your time and efforts!

sky

Message 17 of 23
Marky-P
Tutor

So overall you were unable to resolve your issue?
I am having EXACTLY the same issue as you.

I will get an exclamation mark with the WIFI signal. Extremely frustrating. I have tried every option under the sun. Will be starting an RMA. 

Message 18 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@Marky-P wrote:

So overall you were unable to resolve your issue?
I am having EXACTLY the same issue as you.

I will get an exclamation mark with the WIFI signal. Extremely frustrating. I have tried every option under the sun. Will be starting an RMA. 

Message 19 of 23
Marky-P
Tutor

Tried everything you suggested as per your suggestion in my other post. Terrible product the orbi
Message 20 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be nice if you gave feed back next time to the questions presented so we get more of a picture of what you have goign on there. Possible you just have a faulty unit. Not everyone has this problem. Contact NG support and ask about an RMA. 

This is a duplicate message. 

Good Luck. 

@Marky-P wrote:
Tried everything you suggested as per your suggestion in my other post. Terrible product the orbi

Message 21 of 23
Monterodavid
Aspirant

Same issue here, all of the family phones get disconnected with the exclamation mark, I enabled guest network at 2.4 ghz same thing on that one, everything else in the house connects with no issues, I'm out of the return time frame, so I might sell it on ebay and get me something else, I bought this thinking I would have a reliable system, now we have to use most of our data on the phone lines, it sucks
Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

@Monterodavid wrote:
Same issue here, all of the family phones get disconnected with the exclamation mark, I enabled guest network at 2.4 ghz same thing on that one, everything else in the house connects with no issues, I'm out of the return time frame, so I might sell it on ebay and get me something else, I bought this thinking I would have a reliable system, now we have to use most of our data on the phone lines, it sucks

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7