Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR750 intermittent lost connection

EdmondDad
Aspirant

Orbi RBR750 intermittent lost connection

I have a new Orbi RBR750, have had it for about one month or so.  Mostly, it works fine, although I haven't sensed any major improvements with this wifi 6 upgrade.

Problem: intermittently, when going from one room of the house to another, it seems to not handoff between satellites. (that's my best description)  Wifi is getting to the device, phone, iPad, whatever, but trying to go to anything connected to internet just doesn't go anywhere.  If you put the device in airplane mode for a few seconds and then take it out of airplane mode, everything works great.

I upgraded from another orbi RBR 20-something, and this never happened with that.  I've searched for a similar issue, and haven't found anything quite like this; my apologies if this has already been solved in another post.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mark

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR750 intermittent lost connection

For most of us, WiFi 6 has absolutely no effect because (a) we do not have WiFi 6 capable devices, and (b) our usage does not strain the capability of the "ac" WiFi system.

This phenomenon happens to every device that moves around in the house?

What happens if the device is streaming a video as it moves?

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 3 of 5
EdmondDad
Aspirant

The only devices that move around are phones and iPads.  And we never, or rarely, stream to a phone or iPad, only stream to stationary devices like Apple TV, Roku, etc.  And this doesn't happen EVERY time, but often, if you are looking at something on a browser, email, etc. in one room, then you put your phone in your pocket, go to another room, look at it again, you can see it connected to wifi, but stuff doesn't refresh unless you go to airplane mode, wait a second or two, then take out of airplane mode, and then everything works perfectly. I've never had any trouble on hardwired devices (hardwired to any of the orbi devices), or on a stationary device, only on things that move around, like phone or iPad, occasionally on a windows laptop.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks. I do not stream on my mobile, either.  The suggestion was as an experiment to see if service got interrupted.

There is an internet standard for "Fast Roaming" that the Orbi supports. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11r-2008 

Pn my older generation Orbi, Advanced Setup, Advanced WiFi Settings has an on/off toggle for Fast Roaming.  (This could be one of the things that is different about the AX product line.)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7