BenZvan
Tutor

Orbi RBR850 Extremely high wifi ping/latency

My Orbi system has very poor performance. Symptoms include:

* Extremely poor ping times

* Extremely long dns resolution time

* speedtest still shows full 200Mbps connection rate

* Streaming video is fine but can take a long time to start

* rebooting the orbi and netgear cable modem dailiy seem to have an effect but it could be only psychological.

firmware version V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

I have a 4500 sqft house with 3 floors plus a basement and the walls are plaster and lath. All my wifi tests are performed in the same room as the router but the symptoms are consistent throughout the house. Base station and sattelites are over 30 feet apart with router on the second floor and the sattelites on the opposite sides of the first and third floors. My neighborhood has a lot of WiFi coverage from houses and the city's system but I have my system on two surprisingly empty channels. There are 24 devices currently connected to my network and 3 or 4 I haven't managed to get set back up after the latest factory reset.

Here's a ping sample over wifi:

$ ping 192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=2762.054 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1761.484 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=761.153 ms

Here's a ping sample wired to the same device via a switch and cable

$ ping 192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.627 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.778 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.726 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.812 ms

Things I have tried:

* daily reboots

* reducing power output

* changing CTS/RTS threshold

* leaving one sattelite off

* enabling/disabling IPv6

* factory reset and re-install

* wired backhaul (sattelites disappear from network map when wired)

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 Extremely high wifi ping/latency

Message 2 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

What device is being used for the WiFi ping tests?

Is it connected to the Orbi at 2.4G or at 5G?

I agree that the WiFi ping results are ghastly and the wired ping results are exactly what one would expect.

My guess is that (a) the device is connected to Orbi's 5G WiFi, and (b) there are a lot of nearby 5G WiFi systems on the same channel.  Only one radio can broadcast at a time and it doesn't matter which system it is.  If it's on the same channel, then it competes for air time.

If this is the case, then wiring everything possible is the only solution (which sucks).

The internet has lots of advice on how to scan for 2.4G WiFi channels to pick the one with the least interference.  I (personally) do not have a lot of confidence in this method because over time most routers perform a similar scan and sometimes change channels. What was great yesterday may not be great today.

5G WiFi is a frustrating situation because there are only a couple of 80mb wide slots available for home WiFi. Page 139 of the RBR850 user manual indicates that all Orbi's operate at specific frequencies (different for US & China and the rest of the world).

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBK852_UM_EN.pdf  5.18 to 5.24 GHz translates to channels 36-48 for the user facing radios. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels 

There are some tools that can be used to confirm/deny this hypothesis.  Android has a bunch of "WiFi Analyzer" apps that will report every nearby system and show the channel being used.  For Windows, I like WiFiInfoView by Nirsoft https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html  ( No idea about iOS or MacOS, sorry.)

Message 3 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

I'm ping testing from my MacBook Pro which, according to the "connected devices" list is currently connected on the 5GHz channel but this problem is not limited to 5GHz as far as I can tell. The Orbi app shows nearby networks and which ones to choose and the ones I'm on have been consistently marked "best" by the app.

I see a few apps for android and MacOS but they don't seem to offer much more than the orbi app.

Message 4 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

When I look at my Orbi 'app' WiFi Analytics panel and scroll over to Channel Interference, it shows that there are 7 nearby networks on Channel 48 and the Clarity is Poor.  What does your Orbi app show?

Message 5 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

It shows 1 network (mine) on channel 48 and clarithy is "great."

Message 6 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

Nope…wait…it says "best" not "great"

Message 7 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

@BenZvan wrote:

Nope…wait…it says "best" not "great"

Well, that shoots down my hypothesis.  Can you ping with anything else?  (I have at least four apps on my Android phone that can ping.)

Message 8 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

Right at the moment, I'm getting reasonable pings to the router and ok pings to google. mostly under 30ms with some over 200.

My android phone is getting between 50 and 200ms on the terminal as well.

Another mac is getting between 90 and 1300ms

Which device is getting the worst service does seem to bounce around.

Message 9 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you haven't answered yet:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Can you run a ping test with just a wired PC connected to the ISP modem or ONT. No RBR in the mix. 

Message 10 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

Good catch!

I own the cable modem, which I bought from netgear at the same time as the Orbi system. It's a Nighthawk CM1200 and it's connected to an Xfinity cable account.

Message 11 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Modem. I love mine. 

I use pingplotter.com to test with modems and routers. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

If you need any assitance on the modem side. 

Message 12 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

Maybe this is a silly question but how would the signal quality up to the cable modem affect WiFi network performance but not wired performance (at least as much)?

This is actually on my TODO list because I have had power level and squirrel chew issues in the past.

Message 13 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

Just making sure the wired is ok. 

Wireless can introduce odd issues. 

Message 14 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

Comcast is coming to check out my cable to the back of the modem this afternoon. Just a couple other things I'm observing:

* Looks like QOS for streaming media is enabled by default on the Orbi? I see WMM is checked.

* I have three connected Nest cameras and they're connected over 2.5GHz (most things are on 2.5)

* I have network preferences open on my Mac and I keep seeing the WiFi connection change from "connected" to "on" to "no ip address"

* I just did another speedtest over WiFi and got 5Mbps down on a 200Mbps connection, speedtest on the router says 140Mbps and speedtest over wired via the router shows 204Mbps.

Message 15 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

@BenZvan wrote:

Comcast is coming to check out my cable to the back of the modem this afternoon. Just a couple other things I'm observing:

* Looks like QOS for streaming media is enabled by default on the Orbi? I see WMM is checked. Yes

* I have three connected Nest cameras and they're connected over 2.5GHz (most things are on 2.5) Theres only 2.4Ghz. 

* I have network preferences open on my Mac and I keep seeing the WiFi connection change from "connected" to "on" to "no ip address" Is this while near the RBR? 

* I just did another speedtest over WiFi and got 5Mbps down on a 200Mbps connection, speedtest on the router says 140Mbps and speedtest over wired via the router shows 204Mbps. What connection rate do you see with the Mac Connected at the RBR. Hold the OPT key and right click on the wifi icon to show the connection rate. Frequency should be shown as well. 

Message 16 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

Gah. 2.4GHz, sorry. I was at the head end of a migraine.

I'm sitting in the same room as the RBR. The laptop and router are about 8 feet apart.

Comcast visited and replaced the drop to my house and also reterminated every connection inside the house.

The speed test from the RBR now says 942Mbps

Speedtest from my Mac over Wifi shows 0.41Mbps, 51ms ping

option-clicking the wifi icon shows 1300Mbps Tx rate, -93dBm noise

Speedtest from my Mac with Wifi off (direct to RBR via switch) shows 910 Mbps up, 23Mbps down

Orbi app Wifi analytics on my phone shows 100% signal and 866Mbps

So I have a 900Mbps connection to the internet, a 1300Mbps connection to the wifi and less than 1Mbps to the internet via wifi, which is uncool.

Ping times are still atrocious over wifi and excellent over wired.

Message 17 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

Checking up again this morning and it seems better on this Mac but I just saw the Wifii blip from "connected" to "on" and back again.

It seems like which device gets the bad service changes. My Mac is getting 90Mbps over Wifi ([opt]-click Tx rate now says 219Mbps over 802.11n) but my phone is getting 17.

Message 18 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

My first ever "LATENCY TEST ERROR" from speedtest. (over wifi)

"Could not connect to the test server. A firewall could be blocking the connection or the server might be having some issues. Please try again later."

Message 19 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

This perdformance is getting worse by the day. I want to open a support case before opening a return but my support is expired. Anyone know how to get help from Netgear or should I just start the return process and buy something else?

Message 20 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd start a return. 

Message 21 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

Thanks. I'll do that.

Message 22 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

Wow. They didn't get back to me until late at night and I didn't respond over the weekend. They sent me an email that the case would be automatically closed in 5 days and then closed it the next day after a total of less than 3 days. Now on the phone they're telling me my warranty is expired but I opened the case before my warranty expired.

Message 23 of 54
BenZvan
Tutor

Welp. They said "the power light is green so the hardware is fine."

Guess I'll try re-uploading the firmware and doing another factory reset.

Message 24 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 53 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7