Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS 40 and RBR 40 - Firmware issues and frequent disconnections

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi RBS 40 and RBR 40 - Firmware issues and frequent disconnections

last week, my RBR 40 and RBS 40 satellites had an .32 Firmware upgrade. Now suddenly, the Firmware is upgraded to 2.5.1.16 and ever since, the internet disconnects frequently multiple times a day and I have to restart the routers to get things back again. So frustrated and disappointed especially when we all have to work from home these days. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS 40 and RBR 40 - Firmware issues and frequent disconnections

The big question is "Did the firmware update automatically (silently, without asking or notifying) or did you respond to a notice 'new firmware available' thinking that was what you were supposed to do?"

• If you never clicked on anything or in any way gave permission, then you're screwed.
  • However, if you in any way authorized the update, then you can visit the product support page, download the previous firmware, manually install it on the Orbi, and never allow it to update again.
Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Never clicked on anything. It auto upgraded me to this Firmware. How can I recover?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

The Netgear support site has every version of firmware ever released for the RBR40 & RBS40:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk40.aspx#download 

Click on the "plus sign" to display the full list.  You can download the "zip files" for router and satellite to your computer.  "unzip" them to extract the "img" files.  Then, open the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) and navigate to the Advanced Tab, Administration, Firmware Update. Select the Manual Tab and follow the directions.  People usually update the satellite first by connecting directly to the satellite web interface by its IP address.

I would be prepared for the Orbi to immediately begin informing you "This is new firmware." and be very careful not to ever click on anything that resembled indicating interest in or permission to install it.  If the Orbi "does it again", then (a) we need to update our understanding of Netgear's policy on firmware updates, and (b) you may be screwed.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS. This maybe needed after the FW update. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

last week, my RBR 40 and RBS 40 satellites had an .32 Firmware upgrade. Now suddenly, the Firmware is upgraded to 2.5.1.16 and ever since, the internet disconnects frequently multiple times a day and I have to restart the routers to get things back again. So frustrated and disappointed especially when we all have to work from home these days. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7