Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBS/RBR 50 Version 2.1.3.4 and Apple homekit iDevices and Philips Hue problems.

eljarviso
Luminary

Re: Orbi RBS/RBR 50 Version 2.1.3.4 and Apple homekit iDevices and Philips Hue problems.

Looks like the IPs I blocked were AWS so they change. I ended up blocking all traffic coming from the orbi AP IP.
Message 76 of 122
caseywebdev
Initiate

I'm glad I found this thread. I was about to reset my HomeKit configuration which would have been a giant PITA. I have 40 or so configured accessories and since 2.1.3.4 they bounce between all available and all "Not Responding". As soon as I downgraded the router and satellite to 2.1.2.18 everything is working perfectly again. Hopefully we can make enough noise to get Netgear involved. If they won't revert the mDNS flood protection change we at least need an option to disable that so HomeKit can operate.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 77 of 122
DavidJZU
Guide

re: "The NVRAM setting resets after a reboot of the device"

That's not been my experience.  I have set auto upgrade off nvram as detailed in

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

After rebooting, my settings are still intact  (when viewed in telnet) and my orbi has not upgraded.

Did you do the final nvram commit step ?

Message 78 of 122
eljarviso
Luminary

It's possible... i can't remember. I ended up using my firewall to block all internet access to the orbi APs.

Message 79 of 122
jakes678
Tutor

Having the same issues, apple home kit is not responsive or slow, wifi thermostat same thing and Leviton Wifi Switches.  

Message 80 of 122

This auto update to 2.1.4.10 has made my HomeKit unresponsive and keeps dropping devices and reconnecting like a min later I have my  satellite off right now to see if that would help it did not and it’s also up to date they need to let us have control when we want to update I’m trying to finger out If they have any date to fix this problem. HomeKit showing the disconnect I have koogeek leviton ecobee eve  appletv 4K x2  both hubs on and iPad hubs on as well did all the basics restarts on Apple devices and on modem and on router please fix this ASAP 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 81 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

I tried that, committed it to nvram...worked for a couple of  days then it went back to auto update.

Since there seems to be no response from Netgear on this forum, I encourage everyone to bring this up on twitter.  Autoupdate is very damaging.

Message 82 of 122
cheshbr
Apprentice

I have had less than a month’s experience with my Orbi RBK500 system, and I think it’s stable running v2.1.2.18, with a wired backhaul too.  I have four Lifx smart bulbs that work brilliantly (pun intended) with Alexa, Google Home, and Apple HomeKit. I had tried 2.1.3.4 and the newer 2.1.4.10 but both of these gave me “unresponsive” against the Lifx in HomeKit. Right now, everything seems to be working, including roaming, so I will stick with 2.1.2.18 until the bugs are fixed.

By the way, I prefer to install my firmware changes manually, satellite first and when all seems to be working, I switch both Orbis off and on again, check the attached devices on the satellite, and if there’s anything that should, or should not, be running on the satellite, I power cycle these devices until they are running where they should be.  Finally, I use the Netgear Genie’s Network Map to check signal strength to verify that the Orbis and attached devices are optimised. (If the signal strength is significantly less than 100%, it’s an indicator that the attached device is on the wrong Orbi). 

Good luck

Message 83 of 122

Message 84 of 122

Thank you i have tried manual as well more like a flash but it will not allow and says the firmware is incorrect plese get firmware again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product and i was trying to do satlite first 

Message 85 of 122

ok so I have got the flash to work I also went back to 2.1.2.18 both satellite and router the issue i had with file type was i checked the satellite box and uploaded it in the router box nex im try to work on blocking auto updates seen this. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

this has been a nightmare. I am very thinkful for this community as i was pulling my hair out over this thank you all for your help

Message 86 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

The orbi firmware issue is getting famous, and for the wrong reasons.  I guess this is what happens when things don’t get fixed for weeks on end.

Thanks for the Reddit link, I see it reverts back to this one.

Still no resolution in sight and it has highlighted another criticial issue with the Orbi - the inability to stop automatic updates on a reliable basis.

Message 87 of 122
MattEyraud
Tutor

This is getting ridiculous ! No answers from Netgear at all ! 

Can I suggest that everyone start posting on Twitter (maybe it will get more attention), and also on the Wirecutter review for mesh network, that still has Orbi as the recommended model. Maybe if we get Wirecutter attention, we will get Netgear attention.

Message 88 of 122

@MattEyraud wrote:

This is getting ridiculous ! No answers from Netgear at all ! 

Can I suggest that everyone start posting on Twitter (maybe it will get more attention), and also on the Wirecutter review for mesh network, that still has Orbi as the recommended model. Maybe if we get Wirecutter attention, we will get Netgear attention.

I agree, especially with respect to the WireCutter review. Apple recently announced they're no longer selling their line of Airport basestations. While trying to answer the question: "What should I get istead?",  I've seen several Apple-oriented sites point to the Orbi and blindly point to the WireCutter review. A real shame given the issues it seemingly has with HomeKit, (not to mention, stability in general). 

You can reach the WireCutter here. I did during the last firmware debacle. 

https://thewirecutter.com/contact-us/

Message 89 of 122

I just send Wirecutter a message per your suggestion. I really just hope Netgear gets this fixed...

Message 90 of 122
AC641
Luminary

RBK50 with RBR50 in AP mode and a single satellite.  The router is an EE 4G router (I live in the UK countryside with no decent landline Broadband provision - yet!)

After having had problems with 2.1.3.4; it's operation with Philips Hue and satellite WiFi disconnects I had downgraded to 2.1.2.18 which was stable.  I had some time yesterday and so decided to give 2.1.4.10 a go.  I reverted the satellite backhaul temporarily to wireless and initiated the update process.  Once complete and the satelleite resync'd I re-estalblished the wired backhaul which was detected and showing in the config pages within a minute or so.  After 24hrs, no issues.  I have not done any factory resets.  I am fortunate in that the only issues I have experienced in 12 months of ownership was with 2.1.3.4.  I'll give it a few more days and report back.

Message 91 of 122
Vijaytiru98
Aspirant

I had the same issue but when I added a rbk 30 satellite with a old version firmware to the rbs50 everything started working normal
Message 92 of 122
john_rowe
Guide

Disabling autoupdate as detailed here:

Didn't work for me. The devices updated on their own a couple of days ago and all HomeKit devices were unreliable again.

I downgraded once more and my network was back to working again.

Luckily the replacement wifi access points are arriving tomorrow...

Message 93 of 122
whittle
Guide

My RBK53 system automatically updated to 2.1.4.10 overnight four days ago. I was angry. I think it is ridiculous that we can’t disable automatic updates.

But here's the odd thing… 2.1.4.10 is working well for me. My HomeKit-controlled devices are working great. No mysterious "unavailable" messages in the Home app or Eve. No ridiculous delays when asking Siri to turn on a device. Everything is working fine. I was prepared for a disaster with HomeKit, but I think this is my best Orbi release ever. Go figure. I gave it four days expecting things to go sideways, but it is still working.

I will admit, my HomeKit setup is pretty unique and that may be the reason for my luck. I use HomeBridge to control Home Control Assistant (HCA). HCA in turn controls a number of Insteon devices as well as some smart speakers. Both HomeBridge and HCA are running on a small Windows 10 PC. That PC is wired to the Orbi router so it is not dependent on WiFi or mDNS via WiFi. My HomeKit Hub is an Apple TV that is also wired to the Orbi router. This isn't your typical HomeKit setup and that may be the reason that it is working well. Introducing WiFi into the mix might change the story.

In any case, I still think we should be able to disable automatic updates. But 2.1.4.10 is working fine here. I’m going to enjoy it while I can...

-Whittle

Message 94 of 122
AC641
Luminary

Well, in my previous post about my experieces with 2.1.4.10 I spoke too soon!  I started to get WiFi dropouts from my satellite again as I had experienced with 2.1.3.4.  I have bitten the bullet and done a full factory reset and started again from scratch (with 2.1.4.10) - that's 35 minutes of my life I'll never get back!  We'll see if this cures the dropouts over the coming hours/days.  If not, it will be back to v2.1.2.18.

Message 95 of 122
Bill9999
Initiate

I was away on vacation and Netgear updated my Orbi RBK50 firmware behind my back from v 2.1.2.18 to v 2.1.4.10.  I subsequently spent many hours trying to debug all the failing HomeKit devices that suddenly weren't responding in the Apple Home app, until I finally found a trail on the Internet that pointed to the router. Sure enough, Netgear hosed my Apple Home environment. Note that 2.1.4.10 is definitely problematic, with lots of unpredictable, intermittent "Not Responding" complaints from HomeKit devices. I rolled the firmware back manually to 2.1.2.18  and my Apple Home environment is working again flawlessly.

Negear software engineers badly need to:

1) Fully Q/A their firmware in an Apple Mac, iOS and HomeKit environment before releasing it to the public

1) Implement a method to turn off automatic firmware updates so customers aren't exposed to this kind of slopiness

Netgear, quit introducing lots of new bugs at the same tiime you fix others. Q/A, Q/A, Q/A!

Message 96 of 122
ahann
Guide

I've been having the same issues with homekit that everyone else has been posting about. Mine started about a week ago, I'm assuming when my Orbi updated it's Firmware. It's been driving my family crazy since last week due to all the Homekit integrations we have in our house. tracked down one of the other threads on how to shut off "auto-update" through a telnet connection and rolled back to 2.0.1.4. I'm not sure what version I was on before everything went downhill. Everything was working so well! If this keeps up I may have to find a new wireless system, which is a shame becuase I really like the Orbi. 

Message 97 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

Yes, this is particularly annoying.  In a perfect world, updates would all work, but in an imperfect world, we need to be able to block updates.

Message 98 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

This journey has been quite upsetting.  I had to spend considerable trouble getting Netgear's attention.  Early on, I contacted one of the moderators here, and he's still, to this date, been unresponsive.  I then got Netgear to open a trouble ticket by asking them at their twitter handle, which took a couple of requests at least.

We then went through quite a few steps of them not finding anything.

However, last night, I was given a test version of firmware (the second time I was given test firmware), and this time, for the most part, it worked.  My network has now been stable for about 24 hours.

I'm not sure why there is no mention of anything from Netgear, but I have been referring their support guy to this thread so he can see it wasn't just me.

So after almost a month and countless hours of frustration, it looks like we are getting somewhere and it is quite probably that a solution is at hand.

However, what everyone needs to do in no uncertain terms is to make sure that it is understood that we need to be able to turn off firmware updates.  One can't have broken systems out there.  I am a home worker, and my ability to earn a living depends upon a well working home network.

Message 99 of 122
pti
Initiate
Initiate

I've had the same issues. Routers updated to 2.1.4.10. HomeKit functionality was destroyed. I've downgraded to 2.1.2.18. Things worked again. It autoupdated again. I downgraded again and this time, did the NVRAM changes. It just autoupgraded again last night despite the NVRAM settings. I just downgraded the router again and now the satellite won't even connect.

In addition to contacting Wirecutter, anyone affected by this should consider warning potential customers through Amazon reviews, too. Normal consumers do not have the patience or skill to do firmware updates and run telnet sessions to their routers. Right now, this is simply not a consumer product level of quality or care.

Message 100 of 122
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7