Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBS/RBR 50 Version 2.1.3.4 and Apple homekit iDevices and Philips Hue problems.

ahann
Guide

Re: Orbi RBS/RBR 50 Version 2.1.3.4 and Apple homekit iDevices and Philips Hue problems.

@pti wrote:

I've had the same issues. Routers updated to 2.1.4.10. HomeKit functionality was destroyed. I've downgraded to 2.1.2.18. Things worked again. It autoupdated again. I downgraded again and this time, did the NVRAM changes. It just autoupgraded again last night despite the NVRAM settings. I just downgraded the router again and now the satellite won't even connect.

In addition to contacting Wirecutter, anyone affected by this should consider warning potential customers through Amazon reviews, too. Normal consumers do not have the patience or skill to do firmware updates and run telnet sessions to their routers. Right now, this is simply not a consumer product level of quality or care.

I just had the same thing happen to me. Thought I had it taken care of. I'm going to have to leave some reviews and purchase another brand's wifi platform. This isn't sustainable for me to keep working on. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 101 of 122

However, last night, I was given a test version of firmware

Any chance you could upload the firmware somewhere and share a link for others to download? 

Message 102 of 122

@pti wrote:

In addition to contacting Wirecutter, anyone affected by this should consider warning potential customers through Amazon reviews, too. Normal consumers do not have the patience or skill to do firmware updates and run telnet sessions to their routers. Right now, this is simply not a consumer product level of quality or care.

I'd add that this is especially important for people who bought on Amazon. The Orbi listed on Amazon can only be reviewed by verified purchasers. People who bought from Costco, for example, can't post a review there. Costco people can (and should) leave reviews on the Costco site!

I mentioned it elsewhere, but there is a big push on the various Apple news sites to point out alternatives to the recently discontinued AirPort Extreme/Express. The HomeKit/multicast debacle is an excellent reason for Apple users to avoid the Orbi. These sites should know about these problems before suggesting the Orbi to their readers. 

Message 103 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

PeytonBrandt, I am sorry but before using the beta software, I was required to agree to some terms which included not sharing the software. The only way to get it is directly from Netgear.

The good news I shared was so people would know there is now a light at the end of the tunnel as there "is" a solution that seemingly works.

This is particularly valuable for people who were considering purchasing alternate equipment - but unfortunate for those that already did. As this has been going on for more than a momth, it is quite frustrating.

Hang in there and sorry but I can't share it.

Message 104 of 122

No problem, I understand. How did you contact them before getting the beta software? Twitter? Email? Phone?

Message 105 of 122
pti
Initiate
Initiate

Does the beta version have the ability to turn off automatic updates such that we can stick to a version that does work? Given that they’ve proven they don’t QA with HomeKit scenarios, I feel like any version that does work would be at risk of regression without the ability to suppress updates.

Message 106 of 122

Same issue 2.1.4.10 kills Homekit as soon as I downgrade to  2.1.2.18 it works fine.  I can't believe they don't have a way to disable auto firmware upgrades. I really wish I didn't invest so much into Netgear! I certainly will not be recommending to anyone!  Come on Netgear! get your act together!

Message 107 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

PeytonBrandt,

I detailed before the long and painful process of trying to get them to look at this.

As I was not willing to purchase a "support package" to fix a problem which is to me, 100% netgear's fault, I eventually went onto twitter and after more than one request, they opened a ticket.  

Message 108 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

I didn't see one but I didn't examine the entire software package.

As you may have picked up, there is a way to do so in the NVRAM but it doesn't hold and reverts back to update.automatically.

I think it is going to take a lot of pressure to get this changed, on all channels including here (which no one seems to reply to), twitter, and anyone who has a corporate netgear rep needs to make it clear that this needs to be set properly (they have a corporate orbi too, which as far as I am concerned, will NOT be deployed in a business as long as this firmware update is forced.

Message 109 of 122
stumantexas
Aspirant

Spent days trying to figure out homekit issues - saw post on firmware and tried it.  Downgraded from the latest 2.1.4.10 to 2.0.1.4 and have not had a device show no response or any other issue since.  

Message 110 of 122
BartleyR7
Aspirant

No new information here, just wanted to also mention I'm experiencing the same issues with firmware v2.1.4.10. I've downgraded to 2.1.2.18 multiple times (the NVRAM method and others mention don't seem to keep my Orbi setup from updated the firmware, which is incredibly frustrating in its own right). Like others have mentioned, v.2.1.2.18 works great for me with HomeKit.

It does appear to be limited to HomeKit for me. I have Hue lights, 2 Ecobee 4 thermostats, and multiple iDevice switches. Regardless of the Orbi firmware versions, their individual apps (Philips, Ecobee, and iDevices) work fine. However, HomeKit becomes unreliable with any firmware version > v2.1.2.18.

It's frustrating for sure, but ultimately it's more disappointing that Netgear isn't taking a more proactive approach to this issue. It really does start to errode trust in the product, not to mention the company.

Message 111 of 122
stumantexas
Aspirant

DarrenM - yes, still having the issues.  I got auto upgraded and devices started to not respond immediately.  Downgraded and 

all good again.  Please let me know how to get in touch with support.

Thanks for your help.

Message 112 of 122
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 113 of 122
kmaple
Tutor

This didn't seem to work for me. Had to go back to 2.1.2.18. Of course my Orbi's will auto update in a few days and I will have to go through the process again.

Message 114 of 122
cheshbr
Apprentice

It worked perfectly for me. Here’s what I did. I started with a stable v2.1.2.18 in place for several days. I have 4 Lifx smart globes which all worked on 2.1.2.18 with Alexa, Google Home and HomeKit. I was happy at this point. I backed up, downloaded the new firmware, installed it manually, satellite first then router. At this point I disconnected my wired backhaul from the satellite. Then I checked, and found a couple of magenta ovals, so I rebooted my ADSL modem and power cycled the Orbi devices and eventually, after an hour of fiddling and phaffing around I got it working. HomeKit and Lifx behaved themselves, so I reconnected my wired backhaul to the satellite. More magenta ovals and phaffing about power cycling, but eventually it worked. It took about three hours, which about half of that in HomeKit and Lifx and working with the Netgear Genie device map to identify weak signal strength, usually occurring because the device latched onto the router instead of the satellite. I visited each device and either power cycled it or temporarily disabled WiFi. This worked on iPads and iPhones. Now everything is good. I can’t fault the Orbis or HomeKit/Lifx any more. For me it’s a success, but very fiddly. The use of the Genie is an important trobleshooting tool. Don’t give up. You have to work at it, then you will be rewarded. Good luck
Message 115 of 122
jhalkias
Aspirant

Same problems here, and it has been driving me CRAZY. None of my automations are working (which is a pain with outdoor lighting) and my iDevices randomly connect and lose connection. I contacted iDevices and they told me of the problem with the Orbi firmware and that Netgear is working on it. I see NOWHERE here that I can contact Netgear to ask them when, other than to pay $49.99 for a tech support call.

VERY disappointed and very upset about this.

I also have an airport extreme router and the cable modem that I have turned off the wireless. However, to get the iDevices to access either one of them, I have to reset each individual switch to the other network. I am thinking of renaming the Orbi Network to a new name, and naming the Apple network the old name to see if that is an easier work around. This has been a HUGE cluster. 

Message 116 of 122
DavidJZU
Guide

There's two ways get your homekit devices behaving immediately:

-  downgrade to firmware 2.1.2.18 which is known to be stable with Homekit.

-  Use netgear's published temp fix found in the URL below

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-Homekit/m-p/1565698#M31140

Message 117 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

Downgrading is not likely to be a good fix since the device will automatically upgrade (even if you set it in the firmware not to).

The temporary fix is the solution I use...

Message 118 of 122
DavidJZU
Guide

Yes, I agree.  

However, I used the nvram method to stop auto-upgrading and it worked for me.

I know others have reported that it doesn't work.

Nevertheless, the official netgear temp fix does seem to be simplest choice right now.

cheers

Dave

Message 119 of 122
Bill____
Apprentice

I used the NVRAM method originally (and I did save it) - it worked for awhile but eventually did not.

Apparently that's happened to other people too.  I really think they should allow us, particularly in light of at least 3 firmware updates that have not been good - to shut off updating and do it manually.

The other thing that seems to have "changed" is that usually updates were offered but not made automatic.

There are a lot of things to address, this platform has been causing a lot of people a great deal of frustration lately..

Message 120 of 122
jhalkias
Aspirant

While I am fairly technically adept, I am by no means a Network Engineer, and don't want to go through the pain of trying to revert to this previous firmware. So, my solution is that I turned back on my Apple Airport extreme's wireless, named that network the same name as the Orbi Network, and then renamed the Orbi network a different name. Now my iDevices stuff works again. You cannot have iDevices devices globally change to a new network - you would have to do it at each device, so rather than go through that pain, I named the Apple network the same name and password that the devices were logging into. I simply got too tired of my automatic light scenes having to be managed manually, especially when I am going to leave for vacation in the near future. Would appreciate knowing if/when they ever fix this permanently, and I can change it back.

Message 121 of 122
cheshbr
Apprentice

Try this post. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/td-p/1584969

This should point you at FW V2.1.4.16.  There’s a hundred or more posts in this topic dealing with ‘16.  Personally, I have it working perfectly on my Orbis.  Wired backhaul, full compatibility with HomeKit ( I have 5 Lifx globes with which I was having great difficulty on HomeKit with earlier FW versions, but no longer. Download the Router and Satellite versions of the FW that matches your Orbis, and install them manually, satellite first (manual installation is the only way unfortunately).  Give it a try.  Contact me back if you want more assistance

Message 122 of 122
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7