Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS20 satellite not synching SSID

NickRandom
Initiate

Orbi RBS20 satellite not synching SSID

I have an RBK23 system, where I am current using only one satellite, in AP mode and with ethernet backhaul. After initial testing I have changed the default SSID and password to the one I want to use. The new SSID works on the base station, but not on the satellite, which just continues to use the default SSID and password.

I have two questions:

1. Should this work? Surely changes made to the configuration should be propogated to the satellite almost instantly? (There are many posts on this forum about this same issue, but I have not seen one that answers this).
  2. How can I make the SSID on the satellite update? I have tried power cycing, synching and a factory reset, in various combinations. Note that after a factory reset the password for the satellite was back to the default ('password'), and then after synching the password on the satellite changed to what I had set on the base station. This shows that the satellite is updating some information from the base station, but just not the SSID for some reason.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas, because at the moment it just seems to be broken.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS20 satellite not synching SSID

Yes, of course, the satellite should pick up the router SSID/password when it sync's.  ("Instantly", I'm not so sure.  But, certainly within minutes.)

If this Orbi is less than 90 days old, Netgear offers 90 days of "complimentary" support. Sounds like a great question to ask them.

Just for a lark, how about doing a Factory Reset, then syncing the satellite over WiFi (in the same room).

See if the satellite picks up the router SSID before changing to ethernet backhaul.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, of course, the satellite should pick up the router SSID/password when it sync's.  ("Instantly", I'm not so sure.  But, certainly within minutes.)

If this Orbi is less than 90 days old, Netgear offers 90 days of "complimentary" support. Sounds like a great question to ask them.

Just for a lark, how about doing a Factory Reset, then syncing the satellite over WiFi (in the same room).

See if the satellite picks up the router SSID before changing to ethernet backhaul.

Message 2 of 3
NickRandom
Initiate

Thank you Sensei. I bow to your superior wisdom! Smiley Very Happy (Sorry there is no bowing emoji).

To make it work I unplugged the ethernet backhaul, performed a factory reset on the satellite and then synched. The satellite updated pretty much instantly to the new SSID. So it does seem like the ethernet backhaul was causing some strange behaviour, but it is all good now.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7