Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS40 + 4 Satellites with Netgear GS108T-300NAS Managed Switch - Outbound VPN

jonesy_chi
Follower

Orbi RBS40 + 4 Satellites with Netgear GS108T-300NAS Managed Switch - Outbound VPN

I use a VPN service and I was checking into whether or not the Orbi supported an outbound VPN (it does not). I have a managed switch that can handle outbound VPN and I was curious if anyone had specifics on how this would be configured?

A point worth noting:

• Setting the router to AP mode eliminates the ability to use a Guest Network. I have a smart home with devices that require a 2.4 GHz network. If I set the router to AP mode I will lose this network.

Is it possible for this to work? Would I need to bridge my modem to the switch and connect my router to the switch?

Model: GS108T|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS40 + 4 Satellites with Netgear GS108T-300NAS Managed Switch - Outbound VPN

@jonesy_chi wrote:

I use a VPN service and I was checking into whether or not the Orbi supported an outbound VPN (it does not). I have a managed switch that can handle outbound VPN and I was curious if anyone had specifics on how this would be configured?

A point worth noting:

• Setting the router to AP mode eliminates the ability to use a Guest Network. I have a smart home with devices that require a 2.4 GHz network. If I set the router to AP mode I will lose this network.

Is it possible for this to work? Would I need to bridge my modem to the switch and connect my router to the switch?

Which switch supports VPN Client mode?  (not any of the three models of Netgear GS108T).

Setting Orbi to access point (AP) mode does NOT eliminate the WiFi Guest network.  (I just now switched an Orbi from router to AP mode, and the Guest WiFi continues to broadcast.  Connected my phone to it. Works.)

Devices that require 2.4G WiFi do not have to be connected to the Guest WiFi, although they certainly can be. (None of my IoT devices are connected to Guest WiFi.)

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7