Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS50 Backhaul, is it possible to confirm if my Satellites are using the ethernet backhaul?

Jazzik
Aspirant

Orbi RBS50 Backhaul, is it possible to confirm if my Satellites are using the ethernet backhaul?

When I look at connected devices, both satellites are displaying connected 5ghz, I would expect this to have changed to wired the same as the other devices.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi RBS50 Backhaul, is it possible to confirm if my Satellites are using the ethernet backhaul?

If you wired your satellites with the router and you still see the connection type as 5 GHz then there must be something wrong with the cables or something else.

Both the web GUI and the Orbi app should show you the satellites as wired if they are wired.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS50 Backhaul, is it possible to confirm if my Satellites are using the ethernet backhaul?

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

@Jazzik wrote:

When I look at connected devices, both satellites are displaying connected 5ghz, I would expect this to have changed to wired the same as the other devices.

Message 3 of 5
Jazzik
Aspirant

Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.30

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

I'm actually connecting the router to a Meraki Switch, which then  goes into a Palo Alto VM300 firewall before reaching my ISP router.

Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

AP Mode as I have the VM300 firewall handling all of my security and routing.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

The satellite is just connected to a dumb NG switch, through a patch panel which runs to my downstairs

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration? Reason for asking is that some switches can cause problems with Orbi satellites being connected via ethernet. Particularly managed or green ethernet featured switches. 

Best way to confirm the RBS is connected via ethernet is to check the status on the RBR connected devices web page. The RBS will either show wireless or wired. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7