Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBS50 Satellite Not Powering on Correctly??

Michael38125
Tutor

Orbi RBS50 Satellite Not Powering on Correctly??

I have had my orbi system for over a month now and it has worked great espcially with gigabit internet speeds, but just recently I have had issues with one of my satellites. It should be noted the whole system's firmware is up-to-date and the satellites are both connected via ethernet. With those details out of the way, here is the issue.

One of my satellites will not work what so ever.  Even when I plug and unplug the satellite from power I get no ring LED indicators on top of the satellite (which I have had previously). The only indication of power I see is the little green dot on the back of the satellite right by the DC power input. Thus, the satellite will not connect to the router via ethernet NOR over wifi signal... A few days ago the top of my orbi was pulsing green, which I looked up on the internet and it was found to be a lack of the correct amount of power to the device. SO I unplugged it from the 120 volt outlet and tried a different outlet around the house, yet it still did not work and I lost all LED indicators on top of the satellite. I have also tried to let it stay unplugged for a while and plug it in a few hours, yet it still does not work. 

I am not sure how to reset JUST the satellite, but even if I did, I believe I would still have issues with the power.

What are yout guys' thoughts? Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you need any logs, or details, please let me know as I would be happy to help.

Thank you,

Michael

Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Pulsing green is not one of the things the Orbi ring light is supposed to do. GOOGLE "what do the LEDs on my orbi". 

Orbi satellites "reset to factory" the same as the router. Stick the end of a paperclip in the "reset" hole until the power LED begins to flash amber. 

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Or press the reset button until the top ring LED turns AMBER the let go. 

What Firmware is currently loaded?

@Michael38125 wrote:

I have had my orbi system for over a month now and it has worked great espcially with gigabit internet speeds, but just recently I have had issues with one of my satellites. It should be noted the whole system's firmware is up-to-date and the satellites are both connected via ethernet. With those details out of the way, here is the issue.

One of my satellites will not work what so ever.  Even when I plug and unplug the satellite from power I get no ring LED indicators on top of the satellite (which I have had previously). The only indication of power I see is the little green dot on the back of the satellite right by the DC power input. Thus, the satellite will not connect to the router via ethernet NOR over wifi signal... A few days ago the top of my orbi was pulsing green, which I looked up on the internet and it was found to be a lack of the correct amount of power to the device. SO I unplugged it from the 120 volt outlet and tried a different outlet around the house, yet it still did not work and I lost all LED indicators on top of the satellite. I have also tried to let it stay unplugged for a while and plug it in a few hours, yet it still does not work. 

I am not sure how to reset JUST the satellite, but even if I did, I believe I would still have issues with the power.

What are yout guys' thoughts? Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated. If you need any logs, or details, please let me know as I would be happy to help.

Thank you,

Michael

Message 3 of 10
Michael38125
Tutor

I tried resetting it multiple times, but nothing worked. It is running the newest firmware.

Message 4 of 10
Michael38125
Tutor

I have looked it up before as pulsing green was not in the manual. Others have discussed the pulsing green issue here on the forums, which was somehow linked to power issues.

Message 5 of 10
Michael38125
Tutor

Although I did not find a solution, I was on the phone with NETGEAR tech support for over an hour and a half and they were unable to solve the issue I was having. Thus, they are sending me a replacement satellite. I would like to keep this forum/discussion open incase it occurs again, or if others are experiencing the same issue.

Thanks and any further information on why I was having this issue in the first place would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad NG is getting you a replacement. That was going to be a next suggestion. 

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 10
Skipholiday
Guide

I have the same issue. Have tried resetting and power light never changes to amber. 
I've tried 30/30/30 and no change.
TFTP does not work, It's not recognized by the lan adapter so can't ping it.
I will continue trying. I currently have 4 RBS50's and they work awesome.
any insight would be appreciated.

Message 8 of 10
Michael38125
Tutor

I am the original thread poster and I had to end up sending it to Netgear for a full replacement. Hopefully they can fix whatever is going on.
Message 9 of 10
Skipholiday
Guide

Thanks for the quick reply. I have no warranty so it's up to me to fixit.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7