Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBS50 Will not factory reset

rjames77
Aspirant

Orbi RBS50 Will not factory reset

Hi,

I have a new Orbi Wifi router and the default admin password does not work.  I've tried going through the recovery process but I never set up the security questions that it's now asking me to answer so I cannot complete the recovery.  I've also tried a factory reset but after holding the reset button in for several seconds the system reboots but not reset, I still see my custom WiFi SSID for example.  Reading through some of the forum posts it seems that the firmware has a known defect and will not reset, is this true?

Does anybody know how I can recover administrative access?

Thanks,
Robn

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
rjames77
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38 and CrimpOn,

I tried it again tonight holding the pin for 20 seconds, I saw the exact same light sequence as I saw with the earlier attempt but today it worked.  I can only assume that I did something wrong the last time.

Thanks for you assistance,

Robin

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@rjames77 wrote:

I've also tried a factory reset but after holding the reset button in for several seconds the system reboots but not reset,

Just to be clear, the reset involves pressing a paperclip into the Reset hold until the power LED first turns amber, and then begins to blink.  This often takes 8-10 seconds.  Just turning solid amber means it is resetting, but not "Factory Resetting."

Message 2 of 7
rjames77
Aspirant

Hi CrimpOn,
Yes, I held it for around 10 seconds and saw the blinking amber light. I did it twice just to be sure.

Thanks,
Robin
Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@rjames77 wrote:
Yes, I held it for around 10 seconds and saw the blinking amber light. I did it twice just to be sure.

I just noticed the title: "RBS50", that's a typo, correct?  The RBS (satellite) certainly can be reset, but the RBR (router) is what controls everything.

And, no.  The RBR50 not being able to reset is not a "known issue."  Users report restting them successfully all the time.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ffactory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard.

Does this work at all? If not, you may need to contact NG support. 

@rjames77 wrote:
Hi CrimpOn,

Thanks,
Robin

Message 5 of 7
rjames77
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38 and CrimpOn,

I tried it again tonight holding the pin for 20 seconds, I saw the exact same light sequence as I saw with the earlier attempt but today it worked.  I can only assume that I did something wrong the last time.

Thanks for you assistance,

Robin

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Do a backup configuratiion to file for safe keeping. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7