Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS50 Will not factory reset

Marcuscamby
Aspirant

Orbi RBS50 Will not factory reset

My Netgear Orbi setup has been nothing but headaches since purchase. Now my Orbi Satellite RBS50 won’t factory reset using the reset button on the back. 

I’ve been reading these forums for years. I see that people have constant issues with the Orbi system and I no longer think that Netgear is going to do anything about it. This seems to be an issue a lot of router companies out there. I was so disappointed when Apple pulled out of the router business. 

Has anyone else had a better experience with another mesh system out there? Or are they all as buggy as the Netgear products?

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS50 Will not factory reset

What FW is currently loaded?

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

What browser are you using? 

@Marcuscamby wrote:

My Netgear Orbi setup has been nothing but headaches since purchase. Now my Orbi Satellite RBS50 won’t factory reset using the reset button on the back. 

I’ve been reading these forums for years. I see that people have constant issues with the Orbi system and I no longer think that Netgear is going to do anything about it. This seems to be an issue a lot of router companies out there. I was so disappointed when Apple pulled out of the router business. 

Has anyone else had a better experience with another mesh system out there? Or are they all as buggy as the Netgear products?

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Probably not going to get responses recommending a different mesh system in this Netgear Orbi forum.  People in this community have Orbi's.  If they had found something they found better, they would be participating in a forum for that product.

I found it entertaining to browse through the user forums for Google mesh and Linksys Velop.  I saw complaints about a lot of the same issues that are raised here.

Message 3 of 8
Marcuscamby
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply and trying to help. However I’m not looking for help on this situation because there will just be another situation next week.

I’m wondering if anyone else has switched to a better mesh system, or if they are all just as buggy as the Netgear products?

I bought 4 Orbi systems for my family and have thrown 3 of them out and told them to go back to using the router that their cable company supplies just so that I no longer have to be their tech support. In hindsight I should have kept a few of their satellites to keep my system alive until I find a system that “just works”

Message 4 of 8
Marcuscamby
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Probably not going to get responses recommending a different mesh system in this Netgear Orbi forum.  People in this community have Orbi's.  If they had found something they found better, they would be participating in a forum for that product.

I found it entertaining to browse through the user forums for Google mesh and Linksys Velop.  I saw complaints about a lot of the same issues that are raised here.

I agree. I can’t figure out how to find a system that is stable. Reviews of products seem to be pointless because they are only using the product for a few days or hours before writing their recommendations. It’s why I’m not angry at Netgear. It just seems to be the norm for all router companies.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Well not everyone is having problems with there Orbi systems. Granted Orbi has had issues. Theres a lot of mis-configurations, mis-understanding about how to use Orbi, Modem/router Combo units and managed switches. Most of these problems seen here in the forums have been resolved with alittle help from the community forum members. I for one have an Orbi system and have had ZERO issues with it. I installed a friends Orbi system almost two years ago, zero issues with it as well. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

I guess we'll not know was the real issue is with yours. Would only take some help to probably get things going. Not all MESH systems are perfect. Theres many variables that can cause problems.  The community can help in some cases. I guess not here. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 8
Marcuscamby
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well not everyone is having problems with there Orbi systems. Granted Orbi has had issues. Theres a lot of mis-configurations, mis-understanding about how to use Orbi, Modem/router Combo units and managed switches. Most of these problems seen here in the forums have been resolved with alittle help from the community forum members. I for one have an Orbi system and have had ZERO issues with it. I installed a friends Orbi system almost two years ago, zero issues with it as well. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

I guess we'll not know was the real issue is with yours. Would only take some help to probably get things going. Not all MESH systems are perfect. Theres many variables that can cause problems.  The community can help in some cases. I guess not here. 

Good Luck. 

Thank you. We’ll see if someone has found a great solution

Message 7 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

Too bad there isnt a "free to good home" section on here for repurposing Orbi's!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7