Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS50 firmware updates went well, but RBR50 can't be updated

cosmo115
Tutor

Orbi RBS50 firmware updates went well, but RBR50 can't be updated

I have two Orbi satellites and a router.  I manually updated the satellites (Version 2.3.0.32) first as instructed and all went smoothly.  Now when I try to manually update the router, the router doesn't show up on the Manual Update tab and when I try to upload the RBR50 img file it says "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product." (because the RBR50 isn't showing up on that tab).  The router does show up on the Online Update tab, but the status says "No new firmware version available."  The bottom line is, I can't manually or automatically update my RBR50, but my two RBS50s have been updated.  Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: Orbi RBS50 firmware updates went well, but RBR50 can't be updated

I believe what you are doing is correct, but you cannot update the RBR50 directly to the objective (.32) firmware.

This has happened because Orbi's checked the firmware image when you upload it to make sure it is not too big... they hard coded an artificial size back in the day and now they had to exceed that size for firmware .32.

The only way to mitigate that problem is to have an intermediate firmware version that resets (makes larger) the .img file checker and allows much larger firmware images to be uploaded.

Search in this community for the intermediate firmware (there are threads all over about it) and manually update your router to the intermediate version, and then update it to the objective (final) version.

I know this is a pain, but the final version is far more stable and reliable.  It will be worth it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Chuck_M
Mentor

I believe what you are doing is correct, but you cannot update the RBR50 directly to the objective (.32) firmware.

This has happened because Orbi's checked the firmware image when you upload it to make sure it is not too big... they hard coded an artificial size back in the day and now they had to exceed that size for firmware .32.

The only way to mitigate that problem is to have an intermediate firmware version that resets (makes larger) the .img file checker and allows much larger firmware images to be uploaded.

Search in this community for the intermediate firmware (there are threads all over about it) and manually update your router to the intermediate version, and then update it to the objective (final) version.

I know this is a pain, but the final version is far more stable and reliable.  It will be worth it.

Message 2 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

If this worked for you please let us know by posting on here. Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
cosmo115
Tutor

Thanks, it worked after downloading and then uploading the RBR50-V2.2.1.212 file and then I was able to install the latest firmware.

FYI I thought marking your response as the answer and giving you kudos was enough.   Thanks again!

Message 4 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

I saw you marked it resolved but wanted to see if the performance was good, the updates went smooth and if you had any issues.

Great job

Message 5 of 6
cosmo115
Tutor

330/290 on wireless.  Seems decent for my work laptop.

Although I wasn't expecting drastic changes except for Armor (which I have no use for).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7