Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS50 intermittent ethernet port drops

KryptosNL
Aspirant

Orbi RBS50 intermittent ethernet port drops

It appears that my one RBS50 is dropping ethernet connectivity intermittently. I am running out of ideas to try and fix this.

The problem: Randomly, network connection to devices wired via patch cable into the ethernet ports of this one satellite will lose network connection. It last anywhere from a split second to a number of seconds. It always comes back without intervention. I can run for days or even a week without issues and then suddenly crop up and give multiple failures for a while. It appears that Wifi connectivity is unaffected during these outages.

I have done a number of checks and attempted fixes:

- The cables are all minimum Cat5E

- The firmware is up to date

- The system has been restarted

- The satellite has been repositioned and shows in the admin panel to connect with good signal on the 5GHz band.

My setup is an optical fibre modem wired into the RBR50.

What else can I try? Or is this a harware fault on the satellite?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi RBS50 intermittent ethernet port drops

A few questions:

1) Do all the ethernet ports on the RBS exhibit the same issue?

2) Are your using wired or wireless backhaul?

3) Do you have another RBS to swap out for the offending one?

This truly sounds like a hardware issue. Not aware of anyone else in forum having similar problem with sat ethernet port.

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 8
KryptosNL
Aspirant

Since I posted this I found: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/FRUSTRATED-WITH-MY-ORBI-RBR50v2-AND-RBS50-s-Keeps-dropping/m-p... 

This seems to be what I am also finding.

As for your questions:

1) I believe so. I wired to two ports for a test and both dropped at exactly the same time.

2) Wireless. I have no way to test wired.

3) Nope, sadly not and buying another satellite costs almost as much as a three pack!!!!!!

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 4 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

@KryptosNL wrote:

Since I posted this I found: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/FRUSTRATED-WITH-MY-ORBI-RBR50v2-AND-RBS50-s-Keeps-dropping/m-p... 

This seems to be what I am also finding.

Note that the ultimate cause in that thread turned out to be a misbehaving wired device (FireTV recast) causing network connectivity issues to other devices wired to that same satellite.

So in your case, how many and what are the device types for what you have wired to your misbehaving satellite?

Message 5 of 8
KryptosNL
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the response. Got sidetracked so did not have further time to deal with this issue.

But back now.

The firmware is v2.7.2.104

I have seen some indication on the forum that this firmware version could potentially be troublesome. 

Message 6 of 8
KryptosNL
Aspirant

As for the misbehaving Fire TV on the other thread I have a pretty good idea that that is not at play here.

Currently have my laptop and network streamer wired in.

I have another network streamer from the same brand and generation wired into the other satellite and it never drops.

I do remember the same thing happening when I just had my laptop wired in. And it also happened when I just had the network streamer wired in.

Message 7 of 8
lolcats123
Aspirant

I'm also facing the same issue, in my case I am running the current latest firmware in Australia which is V2.7.3.22.

I don't notice it on my computer connected to the satellite, but I do notice it with my Samsung TV, so it's either that the TV is more sensitive than my computer to the drops, or it is the port my TV is connected to.

This started happening a year or so ago, maybe more. Once it starts, the only way to stop it disconnecting / reconnecting is to power cycle the satellite. Then it will be fine again for days / weeks, before it happens again.

I don't notice Wifi dropping on the Satellite every time, however, I have seen devices at that end of the house getting "stuck" to the Router Wifi AP (RBR50), so I do suspect there is something more than just the ethernet ports playing up.

Steps I've tried to resolve:

1. Check firmware, running latest (I think this was also happening with the last version of the firmware as well)

2. Replaced ethernet cable between TV and the RBS50

3. Replaced the TV, thought upgrading to 8K might fix it (haha!) but exact same issue persists

4. Power cycle RBS50 when this starts happening ... this is the one thing that definitely makes a difference, and does seem to last for some weeks before starting to happen again.

Given the age of the kit now, I am not sure whether to bother replacing the satellite or just buy a new setup (with longer warranty!).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7