Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS50 - iphone doesn't work with Satellite

quasar273
Follower

Orbi RBS50 - iphone doesn't work with Satellite

Hello.

I have installed an RBS50 satellite at my home.  So when a device moves away from main router it connects to the satellite and works fine - except for one iphone that I have.  It is well in range of the satellite - but still looses connectivty.  

While troubleshooting, I found out that

1. Even in that room it was connecting to the main router

2. In the Orbi webpage - it was not shown under the connected device list

This was weird.  So on the iphone i chose to forget the network and connected again.  This brough it in the connected device list and the mobile started to connect to the satellite.  

However, it looses connectivity almost always.  

How can I make it work?

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS50 - iphone doesn't work with Satellite

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What iOS version is on the phone? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS50 - iphone doesn't work with Satellite

@quasar273 wrote:

I have installed an RBS50 satellite at my home.  So when a device moves away from main router it connects to the satellite and works fine - except for one iphone that I have.  It is well in range of the satellite - but still looses connectivty.  

While troubleshooting, I found out that

1. Even in that room it was connecting to the main router

2. In the Orbi webpage - it was not shown under the connected device list

This was weird.  So on the iphone i chose to forget the network and connected again.  This brough it in the connected device list and the mobile started to connect to the satellite.  

However, it looses connectivity almost always.  

Like many of the newest devices, iPhone default is to create a new MAC address each time it connects to a WiFi network.  I find this sort of behaviour confusing and not helpful.  There is a setting to say, "use the actual hardware MAC address".

It it correct that the iPhone works when connected to the Orbi router, but loses the connection when it moves away from the router and closer to the satellite?

Does the WiFi connection drop, or does the iPhone give some indication that it "does not have internet"?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7