Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS50 keeps transmitting in 2.4g instead of 5g

Dazlin2
Aspirant

Orbi RBS50 keeps transmitting in 2.4g instead of 5g

Hi, I have a Orbi RBR50 with 2 satellites connected, there is one in the house and another in a detached garage/games room (approx 7m away from the house)
The problem is that the satellite in the garage goes from 5ghz which I get full internet speed to 2.4ghz which then dramatically drops the speed and keeps dropping signal all together for a short period.
Even when I only have things hardwired and nothing transmitting 2.4g it still occasionally transmits in 2.4g
Is there anyway to keep it transmitting at 5ghz to maintain speed

Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS50 keeps transmitting in 2.4g instead of 5g

Are you talking about its using the wireless backhaul in 2.4ghz?

You said the garage satellite is hardwired into the house/router? 

Just trying to clarify whats going on. 

Message 2 of 7
Dazlin2
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply,
No sorry the satellite is not hardwired to router, only the devices in the garage.

To clarify ( hopefully) if I login to orbilogin in the web browser, if the satellites are showing as 5g connection type in getting full speed, but the satellite in the garage sometimes shows 2.4g and then the speed drops off. The other satellite shows 5g at all times, I have tried changing them over but the same happens
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

So you're kind of caught. 5ghz is much much faster than 2.4ghz. but it doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. And the satellites fight not to use the 2.4ghz unless they have to. If its defaulting to using the 2.4ghz as backhaul, you're either to far away from the router or the materials blocking the signal as 5ghz doesn't have  very good penetration power. 

You said it was in a seperate garage? 

That might be your issue right there between the distance and the fact that exterior walls tend to be made from materials that do a great job of blocking wifi

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemans has a good point that 5G WiFi is much more sensitive to obstructions than 2.4G.  It might be useful to "move things around".  Sometimes the signal can vary a lot when devices are moved just a few feet.  I once did not realize that a wall contained a brick chimney that was directly between the router and satellite.  Another time it was a refrigerator.

When WiFi simply won't work, there are a number of method that users have used:

• Install an Ethernet cable between router and satellite.  The cable is actually not too costly, the installation can be really difficult (and expensive).
  • If there is coax cable connecting the two locations, as from previous television service, a pair of MoCHA adapters can work great.
  • If the garage is on the same electrical panel as the house, a pair of PowerLine adapters will often perform better than 2.4G WiFi.
  • Finally, there are WiFi "bridge" units that are rated in kilometers and quite often can punch through walls.

Message 5 of 7
Dazlin2
Aspirant

Thanks for your help, will see if I can move things around to hopefully get a motte stable 5ghz signal
Message 6 of 7
duduteo
Aspirant

True, my satelite 2 in my other room also keep connected at 2.4ghz where my satelite 1 always on 5ghz.  Not a very good system , regret getting it.   My pervious wifi mesh which is other brands work much more better.   For Orbi even in 2.4ghz, the speed is not acceptable. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7