Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBS50 reboots everyday

Crispin123
Tutor

Orbi RBS50 reboots everyday

I have an Orbi mesh network...  and it has this reboot problem  -  approximately every day it rebots.   Recently I internet supplier upgraded their router  and I hoped that would solve the problem  ... and for 6 days it worked without rebooting.  Now it is back to its normal behaviour of rebooting at random times at least once a day.

I have read the forum -  and if you have this problem Netgear has replaced the product ...  My problem is that I bought this system in 2018 and I am out of warantee...  so I called Netgear to ask about sending it in to them for repair.  But no:  Netgear do not repair their product -  and the suggestion is that I should throw this product away and buy something new...  and the person on the phone could help me make a choice of their new equipment.

Personally I find this outrageous.   This is expensive kit -  clearly there is a design fault that leads to this rebooting issue - but netgear wash their hands of it

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Crispin123
Tutor

Just a small update...

On my ISP router I have enabled DMZ mode that points to the address of the Orbi (192.168.1.10) 

On the Orbi I have set it up as a router -  and it shares adresses in the family of 10.0.0.1  etc...

The system has now been running 6 days without a problem and without a reboot.

I have also enabled the wifi network on the ISP router (as a backup in case of problems) - and this does not appear to disturb anything.

On the ISP router I have also attached a computer on a fixed address (running linux) that I need to log into from outside - and this continued to work -  I have also an internet telephone on the router of the ISP.  

The key appears to be using a fixed address for the Orbi - and running the Orbi as a router.

Many thanks to FURRYe38 for their insight.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter.

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 13
Crispin123
Tutor

Thanks for the useful information

Firmware V2.7.3.22  (GUI language version V1.0.0.375)

The router supplied by the ISP is a Icotera Model: i4850-00.

The problem I have is that the walls are ~ 1 m thick stone and the Orbi satelites can talk through the wall when they are placed each side...

The reboot usually happens when I am connected to the server unit -  and happens during video calls - and this makes it very annoying.  I have enabled the WiFI on the Icotera router with a different Wifi name -  and this works without problem [i.e. never hangs]  so I can join that network if I am making a critical video call.

Each firmware update I hope that Netgear would solve this problem.    I have tried many variations to try and find a solution to this continuing rebooting  - but so far I have failed.  I am not alone with this problem and I would have thought that Netgear would either offer a hardware fix -  or fix the firmware -  instead their service department say that I should throw it away and buy something new : unbelivable.

I will go through your list of suggestions ...   but I fear that there will be no magic solution

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the modem working in? Router or Bridge? 

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

You might try option #3...

Message 4 of 13
Crispin123
Tutor

Thanks for this suggestion re the AP mode (option 3)   I will try this ...     🙂

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

I did not see mention of the electrical supply to this Orbi.

• Is it on any sort of UPS?
  • Has the power supply been swapped with a satellite power supply?
  • Has the power supply been plugged into a different outlet?

My Orbi has been in operation for 126 days.  Even my hyperactive imagination cannot come up with an explanation for what would cause a router to spontaneously reboot. besides losing electrical power.

In a post on a different subject, I saw mention of a Panic Log.  There is an option on the orbi debug page (http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm) to Start debug log capture on boot up.  The option to Save debug log will copy a zip file to the user's computer. Inside the file debug-log.zip there are many (many) files, and one of them is panic-log.txt (Mine is empty)

Message 7 of 13
Crispin123
Tutor

Let me give an update ...  and now I am more confused than ever:

In AP mode ... everything was fine - except that after 1.5 days the system rebooted ... then continued to run for another day... then it entered into a very strange mode:  my iphone was connected to the main orbi router by wifi and it was fine (I did an orbi speed test and it showed everything was well 1 Mb/s download and upload)...  but my computer (macbook pro) had bad problems:  very slow internet speeds to update a web page (maybe a minute or two to display the bbc.co.uk page)...   When I switched to the WiFi from my ISP router box -  they were also very slow (but the iphone had no problem).  I switch ed everything off and back on -  and everything rebooted:  just after this action - things seemed fine ... but after a minute or two it returned to the previous state.

I switch the AP mode off on the Orbi (going back to 'router mode') and I could logiin to the Orbi -  but it was not talking to the internet.  The only solution was a factory reset...  and I left the Orbi in the default mode.  This was fine -  internet speed was normal for all connected devices (but during the night the Orbi rebooted itself twice).

I will investigate more ...  but this Orbi system is driving me crazy ...  I would like to love my Orbi ... but I suspect that I will have to accept the once a day reboot -  and to use the wifi from the ISP router for critical use.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try suggestion #2 if you put the Orbi back into router mode while your ISP modem is in router mode as well.

@Crispin123 wrote:

Let me give an update ...  and now I am more confused than ever:

In AP mode ... everything was fine - except that after 1.5 days the system rebooted ... then continued to run for another day... then it entered into a very strange mode:  my iphone was connected to the main orbi router by wifi and it was fine (I did an orbi speed test and it showed everything was well 1 Mb/s download and upload)...  but my computer (macbook pro) had bad problems:  very slow internet speeds to update a web page (maybe a minute or two to display the bbc.co.uk page)...   When I switched to the WiFi from my ISP router box -  they were also very slow (but the iphone had no problem).  I switch ed everything off and back on -  and everything rebooted:  just after this action - things seemed fine ... but after a minute or two it returned to the previous state.

I switch the AP mode off on the Orbi (going back to 'router mode') and I could logiin to the Orbi -  but it was not talking to the internet.  The only solution was a factory reset...  and I left the Orbi in the default mode.  This was fine -  internet speed was normal for all connected devices (but during the night the Orbi rebooted itself twice).

I will investigate more ...  but this Orbi system is driving me crazy ...  I would like to love my Orbi ... but I suspect that I will have to accept the once a day reboot -  and to use the wifi from the ISP router for critical use.

Message 9 of 13
Crispin123
Tutor

Dear Furrye38

Thank you for your help and interest.  I have now set up option 2.  At least it has run for 12 hours without rebooting so I live in hope.  😊

I will update later after more time has passed.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. 👍

Message 11 of 13
Crispin123
Tutor

Just a small update...

On my ISP router I have enabled DMZ mode that points to the address of the Orbi (192.168.1.10) 

On the Orbi I have set it up as a router -  and it shares adresses in the family of 10.0.0.1  etc...

The system has now been running 6 days without a problem and without a reboot.

I have also enabled the wifi network on the ISP router (as a backup in case of problems) - and this does not appear to disturb anything.

On the ISP router I have also attached a computer on a fixed address (running linux) that I need to log into from outside - and this continued to work -  I have also an internet telephone on the router of the ISP.  

The key appears to be using a fixed address for the Orbi - and running the Orbi as a router.

Many thanks to FURRYe38 for their insight.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7