Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS50 refuses to use wired backhaul instead of wireless backhaul

bbender716
Aspirant

Orbi RBS50 refuses to use wired backhaul instead of wireless backhaul

I have an Orbi RBR50 and RBS50, both updated to latest 2.7x.x firmware.

Problem: the satellite is wired to the RBR50 via ethernet cable, but always indicates backhaul is 5Ghz via the "attached devices" dashboard.

I've tested the ethernet cable with a cable tester and confirmed it working and communicating properly. I've also switched ports on both the router side and the satellite side. 

One test I ran was I reset my Orbi, re-paired it right next to the router via wireless, then waited, and then inserted an ethernet cable. It recognized the wired backhaul. 

I unplugged the satellite, moved it to the remote location, plugged it into the ethernet cable, and once it booted, "5ghz backhaul". Smiley Frustrated

Any ideas/thoughts or things I'm missing? 

Thanks!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS50 refuses to use wired backhaul instead of wireless backhaul

I suspect the ethernet connection.  A short ethernet patch cable worked, but the ethernet cable installed inside the walls failed?

Another quick test is to get a long ethernet patch cable (Amazon sells a 100ft. cable for under $20.

https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ethernet-Cable-100-Feet/dp/B003RCEAB8/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keyword... 

Cable testers often verify that the correct wires are connected to each pin, but they do not necessarily verify that the connection meets the required performance test.  When my company rewired a building, we required the installers to provide a certification test on each cable.  The instrument used to do that costs thousands of dollars.  Often, the RJ45 connectors cause cable runs to fail.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS50 refuses to use wired backhaul instead of wireless backhaul

There a LAN switch in the mix? 

@bbender716 wrote:

I have an Orbi RBR50 and RBS50, both updated to latest 2.7x.x firmware.

Problem: the satellite is wired to the RBR50 via ethernet cable, but always indicates backhaul is 5Ghz via the "attached devices" dashboard.

I've tested the ethernet cable with a cable tester and confirmed it working and communicating properly. I've also switched ports on both the router side and the satellite side. 

One test I ran was I reset my Orbi, re-paired it right next to the router via wireless, then waited, and then inserted an ethernet cable. It recognized the wired backhaul. 

I unplugged the satellite, moved it to the remote location, plugged it into the ethernet cable, and once it booted, "5ghz backhaul". Smiley Frustrated

Any ideas/thoughts or things I'm missing? 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7