Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS50 satellite not connecting to RBR50 with app showing magenta bullet

verbeeld
Aspirant

Orbi RBS50 satellite not connecting to RBR50 with app showing magenta bullet

I have an RBR50 router and a RBS50 satellite, both running firmware V2.5.1.8.

Since a couple of weeks (I don't really know whether it is connected to a firmware upgrade) I frequently lose the connection between the base station and the satellite.

When I log into the web interface of the router (http://192.168.1.1/index.htm) it shows the Backhaul Status of the satellite to be "Good", but in the Orbi iOS app, the satellite is shown with a mangenta bullet (see screenshot).

If a device is connected via wifi to the satellite, it cannot connect to the internet. Devices connected to the base station / router, can connect to the internet just fine.

I've tried everything: sync'ing both devices multiple times, generating a new backhaul password, rebooting all devices in different orders (and then sync'ing),...

It is weird because the web interface shows the connection to be "Good", but the iOS app seems to be more accurate (signaling sort of a problem but only with a color code).

Thanks for helping me out.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBS50 satellite not connecting to RBR50 with app showing magenta bullet

@verbeeld wrote:

Since a couple of weeks (I don't really know whether it is connected to a firmware upgrade) I frequently lose the connection between the base station and the satellite.

Please clarify: was there a firmware upgrade a couple of weeks ago?

@verbeeld wrote:

If a device is connected via wifi to the satellite, it cannot connect to the internet. Devices connected to the base station / router, can connect to the internet just fine.

A device connects to the Orbi WiFi and puts up a notice that it has no internet connection, correct?

And, looking at the Orbi web interface Attached Devices or the Orbi "app", the device does not appear to be connected to anything?

i.e. it is "missing completely"?

Can you determine if the device has an IP address in the normal Orbi IP range (typically 192.168.1.x, but sometimes others.  But, definitely not 169.254.)?  Depending on the device, there is usually a method to display the sevice IP, Gateway IP, DNS IP, and subnet mask.

Message 2 of 3
verbeeld
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBS50 satellite not connecting to RBR50 with app showing magenta bullet

@CrimpOn wrote:

@verbeeld wrote:

Please clarify: was there a firmware upgrade a couple of weeks ago?

I performed a firmware upgrade a couple of weeks ago (long overdue, last upgrade was a year or so ago), but that was because my network was acting up. I did the firmware upgrade without really looking into the network issues at the time, so I don't know whether it was the same issue before and after the firmware upgrade.

@CrimpOn wrote:

@verbeeld wrote:

A device connects to the Orbi WiFi and puts up a notice that it has no internet connection, correct?

And, looking at the Orbi web interface Attached Devices or the Orbi "app", the device does not appear to be connected to anything?

i.e. it is "missing completely"?

Can you determine if the device has an IP address in the normal Orbi IP range (typically 192.168.1.x, but sometimes others.  But, definitely not 169.254.)?  Depending on the device, there is usually a method to display the sevice IP, Gateway IP, DNS IP, and subnet mask.

Yes, whenever an internet device is connected to the satellite, it cannot connect to the internet, and this device is not listed in the Attached Devices overview (so you could indeed describe it as "missing completely").

Currently my network is working as it should, so I cannot troubleshoot at the moment. (The IP address of the satellite is 192.168.1.15.) When the issue reappears, I'll check IP numbers of the devices connected to the (then disconnected) satellite.

And thanks a lot for your quick reply!

Best,

Jan.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7