Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBS50 stuck on Config Sync

reddle01
Aspirant

Orbi RBS50 stuck on Config Sync

I have rebooted and factory reset it several times. Removed it as a satellite from the RBR50 and RE-added it. I have a wired computer with a static IP and it can connect to the network so the witless backhual is obviously working. I did generate a new backhaul password too. Also it has an IP on a different subnet and I have no idea we’re it’s getting that. As it has the same SSID as the RBR client sometimes roam over to it and get an IP on this other subnet. The wireless clients then have no internet. What else can I do?
Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
reddle01
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBS50 stuck on Config Sync

It's fixed for now. Here is what I did:

On the router I moved the uplink cable off the WAN and into a LAN slot. Not sure if this resulted in any changes. Read in the forums this is how it is supposed to be, but it worked for years up until last week sometime.

Connected directly to the satellite and updated the firmware (same version as it was already on latest, but thought I would do so anyway). This did NOT fix the issue, but got me closer (password on the satellite synced and wifi network names synced). I thought it was good but it still wouldn't pass DHCP up to the firewall.

I moved the satellite upstairs and WIRED it into the router and config sync happenned. Then backhaul status went to good and stayed there. I moved it back downstairs and it held stable. However, DHCP for the windows client still fails. I could not resolve why the satellite won't pass DHCP - the router upstairs does just fine.

Ultimately I will have to replace the satellite with a regular AP (different SSID's) if this issue with DHCP not passing does not resolve.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway do you have? 

What firmware is on the router? 

What firmware is on the satellite? 

How is the satellite connected to the router? (wired, wireless, if wired, is it going through any other devices like switch/gateway)

Message 2 of 6
reddle01
Aspirant

RBR50 - Router Firmware Version - V2.7.3.22

RBS50 - Satellite (not sure, I assume it's the same as they update automaticlly).

Router is in AP mode (I have a firewall). Firewall handles VLAN, DHCP, and DNS. Nothing fancy done at all.   

Wireless backhaul (Satellite (RBS50) connects wirelessly to the router (RBR50).

This has been working for almost 5 years. In the same location without many issues. 

There is one wired computer connected to the RBS50 and used to get DHCP from the firewall, but I had to change it to static IP becuase it kept getting an IP from the RBS50 on a 192.168.10.0/24 range which did not provide internet access. Once I put in a static address the PC can now connect to the internet (and the firewall obviously) THROUGH the wireless backhaul. That is what is interesting. The backhual is obviously working, but the satellite (RBS50) is giving itself and clients that connect to it an IP in that range. It's taking out wireless clients that roam on to it, which some of them due, even though it's on a different floor. 

I wish that I could actually assign these device their own SSID to prevent wireless roaming at this point, but realize that is NOT the intended use of these devices. 

I will be running Cat6e out to the satellite later this week and am hoping these issues go away once the backhaul changes from wireless to wired. If it doesn't the Orbi satellite system will be tossed out and replaced with a new wireless AP for clients downstairs.

Message 3 of 6
reddle01
Aspirant

Another clue possibly - firewall is seeing attempted bootp traffic on that 192.168.10.0/24 network (rbs50 created that), and specifically attempted traffic form 192.168.10.1 port 67 to 192.168.10.123 port 68 and 255.255.255.255 port 68... Of course the firewall blocked this traffic as it doesn't have an internal network defined for 192.168.10.0/24 so treats it as external and blocks all traffic between networks. I allowed this traffic temporarily and it doesn't appear to have fixed the issue. Seems the satellite is trying to sync config (bootp?) on the 192.168.10.0/24 network?

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Try this. 

Factory reset the router and the extender and disconnect them from everything. Just have the 2 devices. 

then try to setup the RBR50 (without internet) and sync the satellite. See if it syncs. Makes me curious if something in your network is causing issues. 

Message 5 of 6
reddle01
Aspirant

It's fixed for now. Here is what I did:

On the router I moved the uplink cable off the WAN and into a LAN slot. Not sure if this resulted in any changes. Read in the forums this is how it is supposed to be, but it worked for years up until last week sometime.

Connected directly to the satellite and updated the firmware (same version as it was already on latest, but thought I would do so anyway). This did NOT fix the issue, but got me closer (password on the satellite synced and wifi network names synced). I thought it was good but it still wouldn't pass DHCP up to the firewall.

I moved the satellite upstairs and WIRED it into the router and config sync happenned. Then backhaul status went to good and stayed there. I moved it back downstairs and it held stable. However, DHCP for the windows client still fails. I could not resolve why the satellite won't pass DHCP - the router upstairs does just fine.

Ultimately I will have to replace the satellite with a regular AP (different SSID's) if this issue with DHCP not passing does not resolve.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7