Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBW30 satellite keeps dropping connection

Whirly
Aspirant

Orbi RBW30 satellite keeps dropping connection

I bought this last week and I set it up. It links (blue light) but then when I go to check it a little later it's not connected. It's doubly annoying because everything connected to it loses internet while they reconnect to the main router.

I've now tried moving it close twice and it's currently within 3 metres of the router but it still keeps dropping. Firmware is V2.2.1.204. At 3 meters from the router it is pretty much pointless, even if I could get it to work.

I've also checked the speed and I only get around 30mbps from the orbi when I'm sitting 1 metre from the router (100mbps connection, tested via wired). If I move to another room, it drops to 20-25.

TBH I've spent a lot of money on something to improve my wi-fi and it's now worse so I'm close to sending it back.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBW30 satellite keeps dropping connection

You can find RB40 FW here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download

Your way behind and you may not beable to upgrade fully to most current unless you apply an intermediate version of FW first. I would try 

Version 2.1.1.12, 

Then once this is applied, then apply v.210. 

I recommend downloading the files first, the useing IE11 or FF browser, apply the intermediate vresion, then most current version, do a full factory reset then setup from scratch. 

If you update to recent FW v.210, enable Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. 

@Whirly wrote:

Hmm, I tried the firmware update, it says "No new firmware version available" on both the router and satellite.

RBR40 Firmware: V1.9.1.6

RBW30 Firmware: V2.2.1.204

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 20

All Replies
tgarvey
Tutor

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be any setting changes to resolve what you're experiencing.  The culprit seems to be version 2.2.1.210 firmware.  I have three satellites and all three go off line countless times a day.  I posted here a month or so ago and tried a variety of setting changes to no avail.  When I talked to NG support, the guy claimed not to be aware of the chronic problems people are having, which is laughable; I told him to read the forum.

The solution he offered me was to replace all three satellites.  As I told him, a. the problem got MUCH worse after the firmware update; b. what are the odds me & everyone else complaining about this all got bad satellites; and c. what are the odds all three of my satellites have the same manufacturing defect.

I'm past the 90 day refund window, so I've disputed the charges with my cc company.  In the meantime, if NG rolls out a new FW version that fixes this, I might withdraw my dispute, but I haven't seen anything from them addressing this on a product-wide level and I'm very dissatisfied with their customer support organization.      

Model: RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 2 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Are you connecting the RBW to a Orbi or a different kind of router? 

30 feet is recommended in between RBW and base router to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

If your using a Orbi router, Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210 on a Orbi, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Try a Manual FW load on both Orbi and RBW:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

@Whirly wrote:

I bought this last week and I set it up. It links (blue light) but then when I go to check it a little later it's not connected. It's doubly annoying because everything connected to it loses internet while they reconnect to the main router.

I've now tried moving it close twice and it's currently within 3 metres of the router but it still keeps dropping. Firmware is V2.2.1.204. At 3 meters from the router it is pretty much pointless, even if I could get it to work.

I've also checked the speed and I only get around 30mbps from the orbi when I'm sitting 1 metre from the router (100mbps connection, tested via wired). If I move to another room, it drops to 20-25.

TBH I've spent a lot of money on something to improve my wi-fi and it's now worse so I'm close to sending it back.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Message 3 of 20
Laudz
Aspirant

I'd like to confirm that my set up has exhibited the exact same problems of lost connectivity on the RBW30 since the latest firmware update. The prior version did not exhibit any such issues.

Let me clarify, the RBR50 and RBS40 running FW 2.2.1.210 work fine. It's just the RBW30 running 2.2.1.204 that keeps losing connectivity to the the RBS40, noting that Daisy Chain topology has been enabled.

It does eventually refind itself after a while. It holds the connection for a day or two, then drops it again.

Not a show stopper. I'll just wait until the next firmware update is made available (hopefully with a fix).

Model: RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 4 of 20
Whirly
Aspirant

I'm using a virgin media superhub 3.0 in modem mode that that is immaterial as the problem is not with the rbr40 router, just the satellite,

I'm grateful for the suggestions but most of them would make the whole point of having it pointless. It shouldn't matter what wpa mode I'm using or whether I have neighbours. The whole point of the system is to give high speed wifi throughout my home (about 1200 square feet) and if it can't even stay connected from 3 metres away then how can it fulfill it's advertised purpose?

I tested the speeds in the room with the satellite yesterday and got 16mbps. The satellite then went down and I got faster connected directly to the router. TBH the speeds I had from the Virgin Media router were better.

The reality is that unless something drastic happens I'm going to return it as faulty. I would have already done so if it wasn't for the amount of work required to switch everything back to the old wifi network. I should have some time next weekend to do it.

In the meantime, I will try your suggestions but I can't even find some of the settings?

MIMO - already disabled by default

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 - can't find the setting

By the way, how do you check the speed the satellite is connected at?

Message 5 of 20
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Regarding the settings, if you cannot see them on the web GUI, then something else is wrong. Normally you will find them on the Web GUI>Advanced>Advanced Setup>Wireless Settings. There are blocks for Topology (Daisy Chain) and the other setting below. Play with Daisy Chain. For some there is a firmware glitch in this after the last update.

I do not know anyway to test satelite backhaul wifi speed but you can look at signal strength by using WiFi Analyzer.

Getting the satelite unit close to the router to test is counter productive and actually worsens the situation. Satelite works best at about 30ft. up to where the signal degrades.

Your Orbi router may be a touch slower than your original router. The Orbi is fast, but its main advantage - as all mesh routers - is coverage.

Message 6 of 20
Whirly
Aspirant

In the Web GUI>Advanced>Advanced Setup>Wireless Settings I have sections for:

Region

Advanced Wireless Settings 2.4Ghz

Advanced Wireless Settings 5Ghz

Backhaul password

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING
Enable MU-MIMO

That's it.

The router is an RBR40 firmware V1.9.1.6.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 7 of 20
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Strange. The Enable Daisy Chain Topology line and checkbox should be right above the Backhaul Password. Did you try a different browser?

Message 8 of 20
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Oh, Wait. Doyou only have the one satelite? Of couse it would not be there. Sorry.

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You have out dated FW. Is this the same version of Fw on the satellite as well? 

Possible FW issue. Recent FW you should see more features in the advanced wireless settings. Such as daisy chain.

Reason for asking all the questions is that we don't have all the information. The more infomation you can give us is valid to helping you out more. Other factors can contribute to many problems. Just here to help weed it out. 

@Whirly wrote:

In the Web GUI>Advanced>Advanced Setup>Wireless Settings I have sections for:

Region

Advanced Wireless Settings 2.4Ghz

Advanced Wireless Settings 5Ghz

Backhaul password

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING
Enable MU-MIMO

That's it.

The router is an RBR40 firmware V1.9.1.6.

Message 10 of 20
Whirly
Aspirant

Hmm, I tried the firmware update, it says "No new firmware version available" on both the router and satellite.

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You can find RB40 FW here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK40.aspx#download

Your way behind and you may not beable to upgrade fully to most current unless you apply an intermediate version of FW first. I would try 

Version 2.1.1.12, 

Then once this is applied, then apply v.210. 

I recommend downloading the files first, the useing IE11 or FF browser, apply the intermediate vresion, then most current version, do a full factory reset then setup from scratch. 

If you update to recent FW v.210, enable Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. 

@Whirly wrote:

Message 12 of 20
Whirly
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice.

After much messing about I discovered that I had to go back to v1.12.0.20 in order to get it to recognize the firmware. After that it was able to do an automatic update to 2.2.1.210.

I'll test it over the next couple of days and see if there is any improvement. Otherwise, it's going back as faulty even though that means a lot of hassle for me in changing over my numerous wireless devices.

Message 13 of 20
Whirly
Aspirant

BTW I meant to ask, are there any settings that could improve the lacklustre speed?

Beamforming/MU-MIMO/Fast Roaming?

Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you were able to get it updated. Let us know how it goes.

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, Beamforming can be enabled. I keep this enabled all the time. If you have MIMO supporting devices you can enable this. Fast Roaming is kind of hit and miss, however doesn't do anything for performances.

@Whirly wrote:

BTW I meant to ask, are there any settings that could improve the lacklustre speed?

Beamforming/MU-MIMO/Fast Roaming?

Message 16 of 20
Whirly
Aspirant

I'll try them one at a time to see the effect on the satellite. It certainly seems more stable since I updated the router (although I'm aware I'm tempting fate saying that!).

Another question, if you don't mind.

What sort of wifi speeds should I be seeing? I have a 100mbps (speed tested at 108mbps through a wire) internet connection.

BTW, what is Fast Roaming supposed to do?

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending upon your client device HW and intended design, you should see 100mb on wireless devices. Current wireless client devices seem to top out at about 400-500Mb.

Fast Roaming is supposed to help your wireless device keep and maintain connect if your walking around the house while say on a phone call with out interuption.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33195-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33196-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed-part...
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33197-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed-part...
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/33180-how-to-fix-wi-fi-roaming
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo

Message 18 of 20
Whirly
Aspirant

I've now moved the satellite back to its original position in my house and (touch wood) it seems much more stable. I 've managed to test the speed via the router (I turned off the satellite) and got the full 100mbps so that seems fine now. Over the weekend I'll try checking the speed via the satellite and again on the router with the satellite plugged in (in case they are interfering with eachother).

I've enabled beamforming but now its stable I'm scared of upsetting the applecart if I enable anything else so I'll leave MIMO and Fast Roaming off for now - particularly as you say they probably won't make much difference.

Big thanks for all the help you've given. Without you, it would be winging its way back as faulty!

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be find with Beamforming enabled and MIMO and FastRoaming disabled. You can test Fast Roaming later on if you wish. 

Enjoy. 

@Whirly wrote:

I've now moved the satellite back to its original position in my house and (touch wood) it seems much more stable. I 've managed to test the speed via the router (I turned off the satellite) and got the full 100mbps so that seems fine now. Over the weekend I'll try checking the speed via the satellite and again on the router with the satellite plugged in (in case they are interfering with eachother).

I've enabled beamforming but now its stable I'm scared of upsetting the applecart if I enable anything else so I'll leave MIMO and Fast Roaming off for now - particularly as you say they probably won't make much difference.

Big thanks for all the help you've given. Without you, it would be winging its way back as faulty!

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7