Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBr 50 and ethernet backhaul

chinashaw
Aspirant

Orbi RBr 50 and ethernet backhaul

I currently have a BT home hub 5 connected to an RBR50 Orbi router (in AP mode) with 4 satellites attached to it. This is causing a few irritating issues and I am doing the following:

a. Replacing the BT homehub 5 with a netgear DM200 in modem mode and making the RBR50 a router.

b. My wife's office has her own Satellite but the backhaul is a bit too flakey at times for it to be reliable enough for all the video calls etc.

Question 1:

So to address that I ran an ethernet cable down towards the RBR50 Router but in order for it to get to it, I need to run that cable into an unmanaged (Netgear) switch and then another cable to the RBR50 Router. At the moment that doesn't work, going through the switch seems to cause it to fail, so we are back to the wifi backhaul.

Any thoughts? I have seen comments on where to plug the ethernet cable etc. So once I have changed the BT HH5 I will have a fiddle with the ethernet cable.

Question 2:

This is a configuration issue, I need to prioritise her computer traffic over the xbox traffic (terrible I know) and I wondered how to do this? Can I do this in the Orbi system?

Thanks,

Nicholas

PS

I am on a mac/iphone/ipad and she is on Windows.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBr 50 and ethernet backhaul

Do you have a different switch you can try? 

I've seen instances where some switches cause issues with the backhaul. 

As well as its worth checking the cabling as well. 

If the orbi is in AP mode, the bt hub will be controlling all qos, prioritization. have you checked its settings for that? 

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

@chinashaw wrote:

I currently have a BT home hub 5 connected to an RBR50 Orbi router (in AP mode) with 4 satellites attached to it. This is causing a few irritating issues and I am doing the following:

a. Replacing the BT homehub 5 with a netgear DM200 in modem mode and making the RBR50 a router.

b. My wife's office has her own Satellite but the backhaul is a bit too flakey at times for it to be reliable enough for all the video calls etc.

Question 1:

So to address that I ran an ethernet cable down towards the RBR50 Router but in order for it to get to it, I need to run that cable into an unmanaged (Netgear) switch and then another cable to the RBR50 Router. At the moment that doesn't work, going through the switch seems to cause it to fail, so we are back to the wifi backhaul.

Any thoughts? I have seen comments on where to plug the ethernet cable etc. So once I have changed the BT HH5 I will have a fiddle with the ethernet cable.

Question 2:

This is a configuration issue, I need to prioritise her computer traffic over the xbox traffic (terrible I know) and I wondered how to do this? Can I do this in the Orbi system?

Thanks,

Nicholas

PS

I am on a mac/iphone/ipad and she is on Windows.

Message 3 of 4
chinashaw
Aspirant

Hi Plemens,

I am going to try the following:

a. Change the switch to a 10port Netgear unmanaged switch (I have a spare)

b. Also try ditching the switch for this particular connection and putting in an RJ45 coupler. Ideally this will make the two Orbi's have a direct connection and so remove any issues caused by the switch.

c. I am getting rid of the Home Hub 5 and replacing it with the DM200 to do exactly that, it will allow me to turn the Orbi from AP into the Router and let it handle all the work.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7