Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RKB53 global differences

SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@steinmr wrote:

>>  ... I can flash the firmware, but there seems to be only a single global firmware for download.

There are different global firmwares for different languages/regions.  You can download/flash firmware from your language/region, i.e., pick France or some EU country, if yours is not available.  The region change issue with NG firmware is not new.  NG routers share the firmware/UI codes across their product lines, including Orbi.

Here is an answer from NG:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Region-change/m-p/1005402#M21075

Message 26 of 36
MarcusVR
Tutor

Hi guys!

I live in Brazil and bought a RBK53 set from USA Amazon, now running the firmware

V2.3.5.30. I followed the steps to access other regions, but the range of channels available didn't change - it is locked to the range from 36 to 48 in 5Ghz band - and, after a reboot, the option was locked again. I'd like to use upper channels in 5Ghz. Some tips?

Thanks in advance! 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 36

@MarcusVR wrote:

I followed the steps to access other regions...

How did you do it?

The US models I received did not have a region drop down. I had to perform "magic" on the things.

Message 28 of 36
MarcusVR
Tutor

Mine have a drop-down, but it is grayed and not responsive to clicks. The telnet instructions made it clickable and allowed me to change the region to South America just after a page refresh, but it didn't affected the wifi channels available and after a boot the drop-down was grayed again.
Message 29 of 36

@MarcusVR wrote:
Mine have a drop-down, but it is grayed and not responsive to clicks.

That's the dreaded "locked in" syndrome.

I wonder if the telnet thing stuck. It did here.

Try again?

Message 30 of 36
MarcusVR
Tutor

Hi!

Using firmware 2.3.5.30 I followed the instructions and got the functional drop-down menu, but the 5 Ghz channels frequency can't be changed.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 31 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

To change channels, you can change them user Basic/Wireless settings. Not under Advanced/Wireless settings. 

@MarcusVR wrote:

Hi!

Using firmware 2.3.5.30 I followed the instructions and got the functional drop-down menu, but the 5 Ghz channels frequency can't be changed.

Message 32 of 36
MarcusVR
Tutor

Thanks FURRYe38, but the upper channels aren't available neither there.  I can choose only between 36, 40, 44 and 48!

Message 33 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya we know. Those are the only 4 channels on 5Ghz NG allows. The higher channels 149 thru 161 are reserved for the wireless backhaul only. Not user configurable. 

@MarcusVR wrote:

Thanks FURRYe38, but the upper channels aren't available neither there.  I can choose only between 36, 40, 44 and 48!

Message 34 of 36
Mattygear
Aspirant

The Power supply included in US model is marked as 100-120V only. But I can confirm no issues running it on 220 with just the adapter.
Message 35 of 36

@Mattygear wrote:
The Power supply included in US model is marked as 100-120V only. But I can confirm no issues running it on 220 with just the adapter.

I can confirm that confirmation.

Several Netgear US 100-120 V adapters merrily transform away here and have done for some time.

Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7